Rate every game system you've played out of ten

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:22 pm

sscott wrote:sscott - I am apparently a well known trouble maker around these parts, I'm not sure you can compare me 'picking apart' your statements compared with some of the recent threads around here which have turned personal. I think us two have a minor 'history' over threads but just take a like at the Favourite Racing games thread to see a completely harmless topic get rowdy! :)
I'm afraid to post in the Favourite Racing games thread :oops: I might get bullied :shock: ............... :lol:

Sorry for that! But I do know what you mean, all too quickly do topics get out of hand at the moment. Although sometimes it makes humorous reading, it can be quite unpleasant for those involved.
Hey, I've been there! I think we all need to step back a bit sometimes and think about what we're typing, or at least the tone of it, as that's the problem. You can't tell how something was meant by reading it as well as by tone of voice!

Anyway, back on topic:

Forgot one

Acorn Archimedes - 6/10
A great machine, but I'm finding it near impossible to find games other than the small selection that I have. Also, having only an unexpanded A3010 (1MB RAM) I'm finding that most of the games I come across need more than 1MB.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:54 am

sscott wrote:sscott - I am apparently a well known trouble maker around these parts, I'm not sure you can compare me 'picking apart' your statements compared with some of the recent threads around here which have turned personal. I think us two have a minor 'history' over threads but just take a like at the Favourite Racing games thread to see a completely harmless topic get rowdy! :)
It's not a problem chap, I'm not offended, it's just very small things can escalate into much larger arguments very easily on forums. It's quite possible I was over touchy so no probs.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:09 am

C64 10/10
This topic 0/10
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:33 am

Bub&Bob wrote:C64 10/10
This topic 0/10
Surley it atleast deserves a 1 :lol:
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

thl

Post by thl » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:55 pm

Here's mine:

Amiga 1200 (8/10) - Very good machine with great games such as SWOS, Lemmings and Chaos Engine. A lot of loading times and disc swapping can be a bit annoying, but also experienced that awful power failure of the PSU.

Atari 2600 Jr (7/10) - The very first console I had which became my introduction to video gaming. Unfortunately the joystick broke very easily and had experienced technical problems for the first time.

Dreamcast (9/10) - Very impressed by this console thanks to the graphic card and the arcade perfect games e.g. Virtua Tennis, Virtua Fighter 3, etc.

Gameboy (9/10) - Great handheld console which came with loads of title and used only green colour palattes.

Gamecube (8/10) - Superior graphic card with some decent games. Very unusual console design though.

Game Gear (8/10) - Had some really good games on that handheld console. A bit too chunky which took up way too many AA batteries.

Master System (9/10) - One of the first 8-bit console that I had which was incredible during that era. It also had some really good arcade conversion thanks to R-Type, Bubble Booble, etc.

Mega Drive (9/10) - Another brilliant 16-bit console that had some great arcade conversions and top quality games.

N64 (8/10) - The mulitplayer mode is one of my favourite feature on that console thanks to GoldenEye007 and Mario Kart 64.

NES (8/10) - Loved the control pad and the games made for this 8-bit console.

PS1 (8/10) - Great 32-bit machine with quality games.

PS2 (7/10) - Had some great games. However genres such as first person/third person shoot em' up is less superior on that machine due to use of graphic card and game engine. Also this console can lead to some techincal problems.

PS3 (8/10) - The next gen console which had some really good features and showing potentials with its quality games such as MGS4. Now available in various models.

Saturn (8/10) - Very good 32-bit machine which did trailed behind PS1.

SNES (10/10) - Has to be my favourite console thanks to the technology (Mode7, Super FX) and sublime graphics (which used around 30,000 colour palettes). It also had a huge range of titles, which included some great arcade conversions such as Street Fighter II.

Xbox360 (9/10) - I was so blown away by this next gen console. Games such as COD4 and GRAW2 are incredibly immersive. Plus XBox Live is by far the most popular feature on this console. Still a bit let down by this on-going 'Red Ring of Death' saga though.

Monty--

Post by Monty-- » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:48 am

Ok, to stop you pressing your 'page down' key and skipping my text, I'll give you a small rundown.

48k Speccy - 5/10

Two words. Manic Miner.

C64 - 6/10

The computer that I grew up with. Add two points when I get nostalgic.

Atari ST - 8/10

I started to become onbsessed when I played this one. Worth the price for Dungeon Master alone!

Sega Megadrive- 4/10

Not a single classic on there for me. Never went back to it either.

Super Nintendo - 9/10

The pinnacle for Nintendo. Classic after classic was released for this. Castlevania, Probotector, Zelda, Mario World, F-Zero... To this day, Killer Instinct is still the finest 2D beat em up ever released.

Playstation - 10/10

The one that brought video games to the public. WipeOut, MediEvil, Resident Evil series, Final Fantasy VII, Tomb Raider, all classics. The golden moment in gaming history... Outrun, Afterburner.. all those great moments were a prelude up to this.

Sega Saturn - 5/10

Hugely inferior to the PS. It came out for £400!!! Most games released for this system were mainly 'pick up and play' with no real depth. Until Panzer Dragoon Saga. This system killed Sega.

Nintendo 64- - 9/10

Or should this be called RARE 64? Mario and Zelda aside, it took Rare to keep them afloat. Super Mario over Banjo? Don't make me laugh. Funnily enough, I was lpaying Donkey Kong 64 only this morning. Brilliant console. One MAJOR fault though. I just cannot play GoldenEye anymore. the ontrols are too fiddly now that I'm used to Half Life and COD 4.

More to come later!

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:06 am

Monty-- wrote:
Sega Megadrive- 4/10

Not a single classic on there for me. Never went back to it either.

Playstation - 10/10

The one that brought video games to the public... The golden moment in gaming history... Outrun, Afterburner.. all those great moments were a prelude up to this.

Sega Saturn - 5/10

Hugely inferior to the PS. It came out for £400!!! Most games released for this system were mainly 'pick up and play' with no real depth. Until Panzer Dragoon Saga. This system killed Sega.

Nintendo 64- - 9/10

Or should this be called RARE 64? Mario and Zelda aside, it took Rare to keep them afloat. Super Mario over Banjo? Don't make me laugh.
:lol:
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

Monty--

Post by Monty-- » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:11 am

Sega Dreamcast - 5/10

Hmm..a quantum leap of graphical excellence compared to the previous gen. I remember reading a preview in 1998 that said, "great graphics, but will the games play like Playstation games?" Well, yes and no. You have Code Veronica and Skies od Arcadia. But thats about it. And then we come to Shenmue. Ah..Shenmue... A weird and wacky game which completely perplexes me why people want Shenmue 3. I don't get it. I don't think driving fork lift trucks in a game is very exciting.

Playstation 2 - 7/10

If there was any console that I wasn't initially unimpressed with, it was this console. It came out way back in 2000 and yet even I didn't buy it til '02. Y'see, the Dreamcast was more than capable of making those initial games. GTA was the first game that pushed the boundaries for games since the heady days of the N64. Granted, a lot of great games afterwards, but it wasn't the great console we were all promised.

Xbox - 8/10

What a weird name.! I thought it was basically a PC in a console. BUT, some classic games came out for this! Halo, King Kong (yes, I'm not joking!), KOTOR....this was the console that made games acceptable for over 25's.

Nintendo Gamecube - 8/10

Ooh, easily the BEST LOOKING console ever made! It's so teeny! And the controller and games are ace! Eternal Darkness, Resi 4...Hmm, didn't like Wind Waker though. It didn't feel like a Zelda game at all for me. Still, a cracking machine!

Xbox 360 - 9/10

Xbox Live...what can I say? Superb. FPS games are prominent for this machine but Orange Box and COD 4 are worth the price of the machine in itself! Let down by a fault in the system that WILL break sooner or later! That's why it doesn't get 10/10 for me.

Nintendo Wii- 1/10

Just what are Nintendo playing at? I've bought Super Mario Galaxy in a year. And that's it. i don't even like the controller. This system is NOT for serious gamers at all. It's only sabing grace is that you can watch youtube on the telly! Yay!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Commodore 64: 10/10 I had ten very happy years with the C64. Blocky sprites and washed-out palette are a small price to pay for the overall smoothness of the gaming experience, making it the top 8-bit machine to me.

ZX Spectrum: 8/10 Despite being a 64 fanboy, I have a lot of time for the plucky ol' Spectrum. The games may not always look great but the low graphic overheads did mean that they move quickly.

Amstrad CPC 464: 7/10 I have a lot more time for the CPC than I did when I first joined the forum, but I still think that it shows the disadvantage of seemingly bundling together a bunch of off-the-shelf components, as opposed to the more broadly conceived C64 and Atari.

Atari 800XL: 8/10 Underrated, I think; its best games move as smoothly, more quickly and look more colourful than their C64 counterparts. However, I think its graphics architecture lacks flexibility, especially with respect to colour placement.

MSX: 7/10 Worth looking at because it has a number of games that aren't to be had elsewhere, such as the excellent sequels to Nemesis. If you thought that the Amstrad has trouble scrolling however ...

Amiga: 9/10 Despite being a great machine, I don't have such fond memories of gaming on the Amiga as I do with the C64. Quite often the games felt a bit sluggish, perhaps as a result of programmers not really getting to grips with the Amiga's hardware until fairly late on in its history.

I'll leave ratings of the consoles for now, as I haven't really spent enough time on them to make a fair judgement.
woody.cool wrote:I'm afraid to post in the Favourite Racing games thread :oops: I might get bullied :shock: ............... :lol:
Sometimes I just can't keep my big mouth shut though ... :oops: To be fair, this forum has far better standards of mutual respect than the vast majority that I read. Every other post on the BBC's 606 forum seems to contain the word 'muppet', even topics posted on sports such as snooker which you would have thought would encourage more gentlemanly behaviour. It probably helps that a lot of the forum members here have met each other in real life.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:54 pm

Acorn Electron - 5
Commodore Amiga - 9
Atari 2600 - 3
NES - 9
Master System - 6
MegaDrive - 8
SNES - 9
Saturn - 10
PSone - 7
N64 - 10
Dreamcast - 9
PS2 - 9
Xbox - 7
GameCube - 10
Xbox360 - 8
Wii - 8
Game Boy - 10
GBA - 7
DS - 10
PSP - 4

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:16 pm

The poor old Atari 2600 is getting a heck of a kicking in this thread. Well, I'd like to redress the balance and give it 10/10. Not only is it home to the wonderful Frostbite, it also has a memorable audio chip. The sound of your ship blowing up in Beamrider is worth getting shot for!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:10 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:The poor old Atari 2600 is getting a heck of a kicking in this thread. Well, I'd like to redress the balance and give it 10/10. Not only is it home to the wonderful Frostbite, it also has a memorable audio chip. The sound of your ship blowing up in Beamrider is worth getting shot for!
To redress your redress I'm going to give it 3/10 - still love River Raid though, an outstanding game. This machine and its dubious 3rd party software developers (Activision aside) nearly killed the video game market dead.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:18 pm

sscott wrote:To redress your redress I'm going to give it 3/10 - still love River Raid though, an outstanding game. This machine and its dubious 3rd party software developers (Activision aside) nearly killed the video game market dead.
Well, bugger me with a fishfork, if I thought anyone would be singing the praises of the ol' 2600 it would be the Atari-loving Mr. Scott. What is the world coming to? :)

JD!

Post by JD! » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:35 pm

Mega Drive - 10/10
Dreamcast - 8/10
Master System - 7/10
Game Boy - 7/10
SNES - 6/10
NES - 5/10
Wii - 7/10
PS1 - 1/10