Rate every game system you've played out of ten

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:35 am

C=Style wrote:Amstrad CPC: 3/10 Terrible computer with only a handful of good games
You're not trying hard enough - there's plenty of decent games on the CPC. Your sounding like another anti-CPC person, there's too many of 'em.

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:41 am

nesmaster wrote:Now now lads, lets not let this topic turn into a "my console is better than yours" argument.
That's what this topic is from the start, it's saying "compare the consoles and rate them" so when one person says "this was better than that", a fan of "that" is going to respond.

Commodore 64 - 10/10
Everything else - 9/10

(Even that will offend people...)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:56 am

I'd guess it reduces down to:

Whatever you grew up with: 10/10
Whatever those people you used to argue with in the playground had: 0/10

:wink:

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:58 am

Amiga 10/10 (Ahhhh, many happy memories of this and the jump to 16 bit computing seemed so large and the abilities of the computer were amazing!).

PC 8/10(Dos 6.2 era) (The PC seemed to come into its own here. DOS wasn't bad, not up to Workbench, but great games like X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Dune 2, and Pinball Fantasies, plus the fact that hard drives were standard and CD-ROMs were coming into being made it exciting).

Commodore 64 8/10(My first real computer, only ever used for games. Favourites were Elite, Paperboy, Twin Kingdom Valley. I remember the jump to floppy disk was amazing at the time).

Acorn Archimedes 7/10(A good machine, but only ever used it at school in the CDT department. Played the demos of SWIV and Lemmings on it.)

SNES 7/10(Great ports of Mortal Kombat 2, SF 2, and Mario Kart!).

Spectrum 6/10(Only played Bubble Bobble and a football management game on it. The poor Spectrum did suffer from colour clash on some games).

Xbox 7/10(The online service is ace! Space Giraffe rocks!).

Sony Playstation 7/10(A good machine, but I don't have that much experience on it).

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:41 am

TMR wrote:
nesmaster wrote:Now now lads, lets not let this topic turn into a "my console is better than yours" argument.
That's what this topic is from the start, it's saying "compare the consoles and rate them" so when one person says "this was better than that", a fan of "that" is going to respond.

Commodore 64 - 10/10
Everything else - 9/10

(Even that will offend people...)
Yes but they don't have to respond. If somone said that the NES is crap and has no good games, i wouldn't care what they said and the only thing that matters is what i think of it.
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:04 am

nesmaster wrote:Yes but they don't have to respond. If somone said that the NES is crap and has no good games, i wouldn't care what they said and the only thing that matters is what i think of it.
They don't have to no, but most will want to...

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:26 pm

nesmaster wrote: Yes but they don't have to respond. If somone said that the NES is crap and has no good games, i wouldn't care what they said and the only thing that matters is what i think of it.
Yeah so don't have a go at me, as I personally wouldn't respond as I respect other peoples opinions. Just wish I could have mine on this forum without constantly being nagged at!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:11 pm

TMR wrote:
nesmaster wrote:Yes but they don't have to respond. If somone said that the NES is crap and has no good games, i wouldn't care what they said and the only thing that matters is what i think of it.
They don't have to no, but most will want to...
C=Style wrote:
Yeah so don't have a go at me, as I personally wouldn't respond as I respect other peoples opinions. Just wish I could have mine on this forum without constantly being nagged at!
At the end of the day, we all have our own opinions. Whilst I respect that you probably don't like the Amstrad CPC, people should respect that the ZX Spectrum and ZX81 are the least favourite machines of that era for me! Swings 'n' Roundabouts really.
One thing I will agree with you on C=Style .... every Commodore machine I've ever owned has been fooking awesome!

However, I do get really sick of hearing the same old excuses for people not liking the CPC for example. It's always "the green screen" .... well by a COLOUR monitor then or the RF Modulator .... or that it was too late on the scene - what about the Commodore 16? that doesn't get the same amount of stick (although I actually really like the C16, being as it was my first computer!)

Anyway, no offence C=Style, my above comment "You're not trying hard enough ....." wasn't meant as a way to nag at you, it's just my way of 'trying' to persuade people to try the Amstrad CPC before they knock it!
Last edited by woody.cool on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:14 pm

C=Style wrote:
nesmaster wrote: Yes but they don't have to respond. If somone said that the NES is crap and has no good games, i wouldn't care what they said and the only thing that matters is what i think of it.
I hope you're not accusing me of having a go at you :shock:
If i've offended you then i appologise.
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:16 pm

nesmaster wrote:
C=Style wrote:
I hope you're not accusing me of having a go at you :shock:
If i've offended you then i appologise.
Actually I don't think it's you:
woody.cool wrote:
C=Style wrote:Amstrad CPC: 3/10 Terrible computer with only a handful of good games
You're not trying hard enough - there's plenty of decent games on the CPC. Your sounding like another anti-CPC person, there's too many of 'em.
It's probably this comment above ^^^^

Like I've said, no offence intended here. Just trying to spread a little love for the underdog CPC.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:41 pm

It wasn't you Woody but I'm weary of people making comments and picking holes about my personal opinions just like they did in "Acrade games that should be in everyones top 10" thread.

But please don't assume I haven't tried with the CPC, I had a couple of mates who had one when I was growing up and I've spent more than enough time playing it. I just hate the way it scrolls, I HATE the garish colours and I hate the excruciating slow gameplay. It would have probably been a good computer had the C64 or Spectrum not been released, but that's not really saying much is it! :)

The actual thing is where sscott starts picking apart my selection and then when I respond I get the 'now, now lads let's not turn this into a my console is better than yours argument'" when I'm not doing that. I'm not offended though, just making a point lol.

Cornervizion

Post by Cornervizion » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:11 pm

Commodore 16 6/10 - My first computer enjoyed many of it's games despite it's limited memory.

Spectrum +2a 8/10- Lots of good 128k updates to play (thundercats, Robocop and Chase HQ.

Atari STe 9/10 - Enjoyed many of the games along with the PD demos.

Atari 7800 5/10 - Only had 4 games for it, but spent many an hour playing Xevious and Food Fight!

Nintendo Gameboy 9/10 - One of the 1st in my neighbourhood to get one, so the high-score included bragging rights.

SNES 9/10 - Nuff said

Commodore Amiga 600 9/10 - Not a bad swap for 4 Snes games , and managed to use AMOS with some limited success.

CD32 5/10 - Too many Amiga ports and not enough original software.

Playstation 1 8/10 - Ridge racer was amazing in it's day and also it's the only console I've bought on tick.

N64 6/10 - Mario, Zelda and Goeman aside it wasn't anything amazing.

Sega Saturn 9/10 - Bloody Brilliant! Guardian Heroes, Exhumed, Quake and Mass Desrtuction were regular favourites.

Neo Geo Pocket Colour 10/10 - It's a Neo Geo and proved that Fighting games can work just as well on a 8-bit handheld.

Sega Dreamcast 9/10 - Loved Crazy Taxi, Record Of Lodoss, Shadowman and Soul Calibur

Gamecube 9/10 - Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Ikaruga, RE1 and 0 many a classic was played on this one.

X-Box 8/10 - KOTOR, Ninja Gaiden, Fable TLC, Otogi and oddly enough CT-Fire for Effect were often played on this one.

GBA 10/10 - Astro Boy, Castlevania and Gunstar Heroes were most played.

PS2 10/10 - Got this one deprotected and managed to play many imported titles and an uncensored Beta-version of Manhunt 2. The CD drive died on me sadly.

DS 6/10 - Too many childish games on this one. With such fantastic technology more mature games should've surfaced.

PS3 9/10 - Linux and Mame is going on this one next week, so extra usage (and points) are given to this one.

PSP 10/10 - Most played... Final Burn, Rhythm, Picodrive, TakaUO GBA and Neo Geo are great fun to play on the bus.
Last edited by Cornervizion on Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PSXPlayer

Post by PSXPlayer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:04 pm

Cornervizion wrote:...

PSP 10/10 - Most played... Final Burn, Rhythm, Picodrive, Taka GBA and Neo Geo are great fun to play on the bus.

High-five-brother. The PSP is the most under-rated games console of all time. At the moment you get bored of playing a game (i carry about 10 PS1 games on mine, with a UMD in the back as reserve ) you can watch a movie, or listen to an MP3.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:13 pm

C=Style wrote:It wasn't you Woody but I'm weary of people making comments and picking holes about my personal opinions just like they did in "Acrade games that should be in everyones top 10" thread.
I know the feeling. I too hate it when challenged (or should I say 'over-challenged')
C=Style wrote:But please don't assume I haven't tried with the CPC, I had a couple of mates who had one when I was growing up and I've spent more than enough time playing it. I just hate the way it scrolls, I HATE the garish colours and I hate the excruciating slow gameplay. It would have probably been a good computer had the C64 or Spectrum not been released, but that's not really saying much is it! :)
OK! Well if you've played on a CPC, then it's a fair statement.
I'd be interested to know what games you played though, as having owned a CPC myself since being a kid, I found that yeah, some games were slow and had messy scrolling, but there are some real gems on the CPC that work really well and play superbly (see my Gauntlet comparison in the 8-bit game comparison thread).
Nowadays owning a big selection of different 8-bit machines, I've seen differences where the C64 comes out on top, or the Speccy comes out on top, or sometimes the CPC comes out on top. It's all down to the game really.
Saying that, I do agree with you on one thing, just about every Commodore machine is superb, even my lovely old C16 :)
C=Style wrote:The actual thing is where sscott starts picking apart my selection and then when I respond I get the 'now, now lads let's not turn this into a my console is better than yours argument'" when I'm not doing that. I'm not offended though, just making a point lol.
It seems that recently, there's too many people picking at each other on here.
I myself haven't even read said posts, and when I started to see the hint of an argument/disagreement/whatever, I just skipped right past it (good ol' Page Down key :D) - I really can't be bothered with it.
There was a day where I might get involved and take sides, but I can't be bothered with that either! I'd prefer to spend my time playing games :lol:

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:12 pm

sscott - I am apparently a well known trouble maker around these parts, I'm not sure you can compare me 'picking apart' your statements compared with some of the recent threads around here which have turned personal. I think us two have a minor 'history' over threads but just take a like at the Favourite Racing games thread to see a completely harmless topic get rowdy! :)