Earliest gaming memories - first game, first computer and

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JackBurton-Me

Earliest gaming memories - first game, first computer and

Post by JackBurton-Me » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:32 am

first console?

First game ever for me was Match Day on a spectrum 48k at my mate's house. It was amazing. 2nd game I think was Booty. This must have been 1985 or 1986 when I was 5 or 6.

First computer was probably about a year or so later. It was an Atari XE thing and it was hopeless, much newer but nowhere near as good as a spectrum. At the time though I was so happy, with games such as Twilight World and Leaper.

Then for Christmas 88 or 89, not sure which, I got a lovely shiny Master System. It came with Fantasy Zone and something else I can't remember and my mate gave me a loan of double dragon that very day.

Christmas 1991 was the mighty Amiga, the Cartoon Classic pack. Ahhhhhh.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:52 am

I actually got my first computer, a C64, at almost exactly the same time as we got our first piano, a second-hand thing that cost us £50. So my two favourite hobbies to this day actually came into my life more or less at the same time.

It's going back some 25 years but actually the first thing I remember doing with the C64 was typing in a program that my dad had written out for me the night before. After typing in DATA statements for what seemed like centuries, on RUNning I was treated to a cute strawberry sprite in multicolour expando-vision.

First game I remember playing was actually Kingsoft's Grand Master, but the first arcade games I played on it were Squirm and Starace by Mastertronic, Ugh! by Softek and Annihilator II. I particularly enjoyed the latter, as it had cute bunnies in it on Level 4. I'm quite disappointed to see that this game gets slated today, as it was more than good enough for me at the time!

Rabiteman

Post by Rabiteman » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:59 am

First game? I think it was asteroids (could have been a similar kind of game) at one of my parents friends' house when I was 5 or something. I also have early memories of Frogger and Space Invaders in the arcades.

First system I owned was actually an MSX computer, although I didn't realise it until recently. Clearing out old junk I came across an old computer the family had, with the now familiar alphabetic triumvirate emblazoned next to the cartridge slot. Knackered now though :( Rememeber playing Dig Dug on it though.

But officially I recognise the Master System 2 as my first system. Received it one Christmas along with Alex Kidd (obviously) and Asterix, the latter being the first game I completed. Vividly remember playing Speedball 2 a lot on it as well.
Last edited by Rabiteman on Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:02 am

I loved Speedball 2 on the MD and the Amiga.

Was there ever a Speedball 3?

IllbleD

Post by IllbleD » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:16 am

Commodore 64

Remember playing kickstart, gauntlet, bubble bobble, ghost busters, chase hq and some karate game.

Still have it all boxed, the tape deck was replaced because a cat we once had pissed on the original. Found a mint cond one at a jumble sale n the early 90's for like 25p.

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:17 am

IllbleD wrote:Commodore 64

Remember playing kickstart, gauntlet, bubble bobble, ghost busters, chase hq and some karate game.

Still have it all boxed, the tape deck was replaced because a cat we once had pissed on the original. Found a mint cond one at a jumble sale n the early 90's for like 25p.
:D :D :D

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:19 am

First Game and system IIRC was the VCS2600 - the woody [oh er] version with Pacman and Defender. Even on the hardest level both games were so easy.

First computer was a ZX-81, actually belonged to my sisters other half, b**tard tried to rip me off by attemptng to sell it to me for an extortionate sum of money.

Needless to say i did'nt bite, eventually got a ZX Spectrum 48k after that - and never looked back.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:22 am

Chuckie Egg. BBC. god knows how many years ago!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:31 am

my first was pong clone machine, with a choice of 3 games tennis, squash, football it was around 79/80ish

my first real computer was a atari 800 around 83/84 very fond memories of that machine
Last edited by SexyWayne on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:31 am

First would have to be Pong (Tennis) on the Binatone tv game console in the late 70's but first computer game played that i remember might be Blitz on the Vic20 in 1981(ish)
It was my school mates and started my interest in home computers.
RIK

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:01 am

Acorn Electron with Arcadians, Hopper, Business Games and the Introductory Cassette.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:37 am

JackBurton-Me wrote:I loved Speedball 2 on the MD and the Amiga.

Was there ever a Speedball 3?
There was, though the number jumped by a few...
http://www.bitmap-brothers.co.uk/our-ga ... /index.htm

First games for me would be Pong clones and tabletope VFD ones, later graduating to a borrowed TI99 and Spectrum, eventually leading to my own Oric-1 and Xenon-1 to play on it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

CenturyGamer

Post by CenturyGamer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:06 am

First system, Megadrive i think.
First game, Bonanza Bros, lol. Ah the good old days. I used to play with my dad because my friends didnt understand the controller since it wasnt built like the ps1 controller, i think its a real simple controller to figure out.

scunny

Post by scunny » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:25 am

i sent this story to commander jameson the other day, my first encounter with my lifelong obsession of video games

i remember when my mum and dad came home one night in 1979/1980 and announced they had bought me and my siblings an Atari 2600. I was 8 and was ill at the time. I remember looking at the space invaders box and seeing it had 112 games on it. My 2 brothers and sister started playing it and I cried because i was too ill to play and they would certainly get through all 112 of those games before I was well enough!

older and wiser enough to know now that the 112 were tiny variations of the same game... oh look faster bullets make this a whole different game!... My family spent long periods of time on the invaders, combat, night driver and air-sea battle. Combat and Air Sea battle being my first experiences of multiplayer video games.

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:22 pm

First console was a pong clone in late 70's, first computer was a ZX81. First arcade game I played was either Missile Command or Space Invaders in around 1980 in the first place I came across with arcade games (a local cafe that's still there now!).

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!