Wonderswan - Just getting one

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Thu May 04, 2006 2:09 pm

If you switch it on without a game in, the battery and sound icons should still show on the screen.

C4

Re:

Post by C4 » Thu May 04, 2006 3:54 pm

hand_solo wrote:Judgement Silversword for the WS colour is supposed to be very good. Incredibly rare though, anyone know anything about this game? I only found out about it a few weeks back through the insert credit forums.

ImageImage
I must say it has some excellent graphics.

KW

Post by KW » Thu May 04, 2006 5:01 pm

My Wonderswan Color doesn't stay on unless it has a game cartridge in it so don't panic.

Some easy to play Jap games that don't require use of the language:

Rainbow Islands: Putty Party
Street Dancer
Gunpey Ex
Buffer's Evolution
One Piece Swan Colloseum
Rhyhmn Rhyme Rider

Others which are supposed to be good for the language barrier but I dont have are Mr Driller, Little XI (Devil Dice) a Digimon RPG that is in English but is hard to find, Judgement Silversword and Beatmania.

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Fri May 05, 2006 6:46 am

I've only got 2 games for my Swancrystal: Dragonball & Inu Yasha Fu Une Maki. Both are RPGs but they're easy enough to get the hang of.

I need some more games for it though....

Kaede

Re:

Post by Kaede » Fri May 05, 2006 7:05 am

K-J N. wrote:
hand_solo wrote:Judgement Silversword for the WS colour is supposed to be very good. Incredibly rare though, anyone know anything about this game?
Here are two movies:
20th area (2.6 meg)
30th area (4.9 meg)

I want this game.
Many thanks for these, I'll be sure to check them out at the weekend!

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Fri May 05, 2006 1:58 pm

Here are some good games:

Engacho!
Image Image
Image Image
Fun puzzle game where you are a kid have to go through maze like stages avoiding members of the Oops Five group (such as the Flying Butt or Hairy Armpitman) in order to stand up to your angry father. Enemies move when you do but each have their own direction. For example when you move forward one type of enemy will move backwards while another one in the direction to your right. You have plan your way to avoid colliding with them. If you do collide with an Oops Five monster you get a gross full screen animation with apropriate sampled sound effects. On some stages you have to battle your father. Here you take turns moving and the goal is to make the monsters collide with your oponent. There is also a Playstation version with different levels.

Wizardry
Image Image
Image Image
The classic RPG series have always had a bit of following in Japan and there have been plenty of remakes and spinoffs (like the reasently released Wizardry Asterisk for the DS). This is a remake of the first game, Proving Grounds Of The Mad Overlord, the good news is that the game has a dual language option so you can play it in full english (the Gameboy Color remakes have this as well). BTW, the game comes with a sheet of Wizardry stickers.

Gunpey
Image Image Image
As others have mentioned this is a great puzzle game. There are several versions of it but I like the western theme of the original launch title. The game was named in honor of Gunpei Yokoi.

Rhyme Rider Kerorican
ImageImageImage
Rythm game from NanaOn-Sha, creators of Parappa the Rapper, Vib Ribbon, etc. Somewhat similar to Vib Ribbon in that you have to press different buttons to avoid different obstacles.

Makaimura Ver WonderSwan
ImageImageImage
Not a conversion but a new Ghost 'n Goblins game. uses both landscape and portrait mode, some stages have some alternate routs.
Last edited by K-J N. on Fri May 05, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

C4

Post by C4 » Fri May 05, 2006 2:01 pm

If you're covering greyscale WonderSwan title, you can't forget Fire Pro Wrestling.

K-J N.

Post by K-J N. » Fri May 05, 2006 2:03 pm

The rest of the post...

Tane O Makutori
ImageImage
Puzzle game where you have to move platforms in order to lead drips of water to the plants at the bottom of the screen. Enemies moves around and tries to eat the drips. You can make the drips larger by making two collide, eventually they will grow big enough to flush away any enemies in their path. Comes packed with a cardboard book.

Some games I've heard are good but haven't played yet (complete with movies):
Of Square's WonderSwan games Front Mission is probably the most easy to play without knowing japanese. You will miss the story but the menues, commands and items are in english. Front Mission movie (1.4 meg)
From TV Animation: One Piece - Swan Colloseum (1.6 meg)
Namco Wonder Classics (1.5 meg)

Maverick wrote:hi there,anyone know if the wonderswan willonly switch on when a game is inserted
As others have mentioned you should have a game in it. BTW if you hold the Start button when you switch it on you can enter some personal info like your name and blood type. Your name will be seen in the boot sequnce.