First Person Shooters

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:03 am

I love 'em. Granted, there is some jobbie floating around in the sewer of game shops, but how can you deny games as diverse as HL2, Doom 3, RTCW, Rainbow 6 Vegas et al are different and awesome? 8)

Also, I must mention a cracking one that I never see mentioned anywhere, and is top fun: Disruptor on the PS1. Ridiculous weapons, cheesy FMV, class. Exhumed too, to a lesser extent.

So yeah, Go FPS etc.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:42 am

Does anyone remember Delta Force on the PC. It combined a stealth element and you had different missions as well. Was great when you copuld change the shot type of the gun to single bullet or machine gun. Was good in multiplayer as well.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:42 pm

There's too much rubbish FPS games out because there are too many FPS games flooding the market at the moment.
It's understandable that this would put some people off them. Although the market is obviouslt there or the games wouldn't be!
So I can't see it getting any better any time soon.

There are some good ones, there are some bad ones; same thing happened with the older game types as well. But I agree, there are altogether too many mediocure FPS games out there.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:22 am

Has to be said but Far Cry 2 is one of the best FPS games I've ever played, it's not like your typical shooter. It's kinda like a deeper version of Mercenaries from a first person perspective done right. I'm yet to touch the multiplayer but the customisation is said to be something else.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:06 am

Katzkatz wrote:Does anyone remember Delta Force on the PC. It combined a stealth element and you had different missions as well. Was great when you copuld change the shot type of the gun to single bullet or machine gun. Was good in multiplayer as well.
Gets a mention in an episode of Weekend Gamer iirc. Used to play it on my laptop, that was about the edge of its performance limit. Good, tactical game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.