First Person Shooters

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

baggy_g

Post by baggy_g » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:59 pm

I thought the on line multiplayer on Lost Planet was pretty good as it was just slow enough that you could work out tactics with your team mates.

Call of Duty 4 is awesome but it's so damn quick; by the time you uttered the words 'there's someone behind you' your teammate or you were wasted. Not much team work going on in COD4. I also don't get these dudes who play it in 12 hour shifts.

Bioshock was just awesome; storyline, stylistic, atmosphere - in a different class really and just the sort of original game you need every now and again.

DJevAL

Post by DJevAL » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:06 pm

With all game genres you just need to give yourself a bit of breathing space, and simply ignore what's being churned out unless you're sure the games a cracker.

I give myself about a year between trying a new FPS shooter, and only after its been out a while and seen people opinions over time of it like any game (tend not to buy games straight from release).

In the last 3-4 years these are the only ones I've gone and bought...

Fear (PC) > Black (XBOX) > Crysis (PC)

And also downloaded an N64 emulator and played Goldeneye for the first time.

I occasionally moaned to mates over time that there's too many FPS's being churned out on next gen consoles but at the end of the day you're in control of your own wallet. But I'm not burnt out by them yet especially when something new and "unique" (using that term loosely here) comes along like Crysis and Bioshock (may purchase this at some point).

They're not all crap. Ditto things like football games and the hundreds of Fifa's etc. I get one maybe once every 2 years max and that keeps my happy.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:19 am

I really like the genre, sure there are some rubbish FPS's out there but thats true to all genres. I have really been enjoying COD4 over the last few months as well as finally playing Doom for the first time (properly) and both are extremely enjoyable and addictive.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:28 am

FatTrucker wrote:Offline they vary wildly, from Excellent one's like Bioshock (yes it has RPG undertones but its a FPS)
I agree (same as I view Metroid Prime) but some of the more pedantic people will disagree with you there.

FPS games can be great but there are too many average ones flooding the market, ust teh same as there were many average 2D platformers back in the 16-bit era that done the same.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:31 am

I've enjoyed a couple recently but there's always a nagging feeling with some that they would work better in 3rd person, its just developers aren't talented enough to make them work.

In multiplayer their great but I don't like the way its used in other genres like RPG's. Fallout 3 looks ok but if its first person I'm not interested, no point developing a character you can't see.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:38 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:I've enjoyed a couple recently but there's always a nagging feeling with some that they would work better in 3rd person, its just developers aren't talented enough to make them work.

In multiplayer their great but I don't like the way its used in other genres like RPG's. Fallout 3 looks ok but if its first person I'm not interested, no point developing a character you can't see.
Don't worry about Fallout 3, you can swap from 1st to 3rd person viewpoint at the touch of a button just like the Elder Scrolls games.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:44 am

I'll give a try then :) All I need now is 50 spare hours.

livefastdiefun87

Post by livefastdiefun87 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:17 pm

Sorry COD4 fanboys but Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is the best online shooter

PSXPlayer

Post by PSXPlayer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:23 pm

I don't mind a bit of space-marine shooting. I hated the older FPS games. I only really began to enjoy them over the past few years. I can't play the scary ones mind you. Doom 3 and Half Life 2 no chance, but COD 3 and 4 were pretty good, Black was alright, Halo was alright. I actually prefered the WW2 ones, now they are out of vogue. :cry:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:34 pm

Without Return to Wolfenstein , Goldeneye , System Shock 2 , Bioshock , Realms Of The Haunting , Thief , SW Dark Forces ,Outlaws and NOLF - to name but a few - the gaming world would be a poorer place
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:46 pm

Primarily, fighters are my forte, yet I do really enjoy FPSs.

The problem I have is that I hang out with an Ultra Hardcore fan of Fighters/Beat Em Ups and so rarely get to experience any decent shooters.

I'd like to play Bioshock and COD4 to name but 2, but as I don't have a next gen system, that may be a while off yet.

I do own several quality shooters such as Black, Duke Nukem 3D, Half Life and Deus EX but feel that I'm not really getting to experience some the way I should. I'm constantly told that playing the latter mentioned games is just wrong on a console, and if I want the TRUE experience from playing a game like Half Life or even Deus Ex, then I should get a PC that can run them well.

How big is the difference between HL + DE on console as opposed to their original PC conterparts??

Other games that I really want to try out include (mostly old titles) like Doom II, Wolfenstein, Hexen and the like.
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

MC1

Post by MC1 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:59 pm

livefastdiefun87 wrote:Sorry COD4 fanboys but Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is the best online shooter
I'm with you on that one :D

Vegas 1 and 2 are class.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:49 pm

Love this genre

From early days with my first pc playing Quake (I missed out on Doom and Wolfenstein) then Half Life, Team Fortress, Counter Strike, Goldeneye, Timesplitters, Black, Armed and Dangerous (brilliant game) ...does Hidden and Dangerous count?, No One Lives Forever 1&2, Far Cry, Half Life 2 & Eps, Battlefield series and loads more....Some classics some average, but all great fun.

Right up to today with Crysis, Bioshock, Battlefield Bad Company......

Call of Duty Series and Medal of Honour......

Once again

Apart from Halo ...love this genre

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:00 am

The first First Person Shooter I really fell for was Doom on the PS1. I remember hooking up 2 PS1's to 2 TVs and having the boys round for huge Doom sessions. After that, I enjoyed pretty much every FPS I could find. At the moment I'm going back through the PS2 library of games and playing calssic FPS's, I've just started Black, so that should be fun.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:08 am

I'll not hear a bad word against Wolfenstein, Doom and Quake, but modern FPS games are indeed crap.

However America's Army and Nexuiz are still worth every penny that I spent on them. :P