First Person Shooters

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

JackBurton-Me

First Person Shooters

Post by JackBurton-Me » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:08 pm

Honestly, how crap are they?

Will people get over it soon and will the market for these games die? I hope so.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:10 pm

Is that not a bit of a generalisation?

MC1

Post by MC1 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:11 pm

I hope not.

They are bewt.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:12 pm

Troll ;)

I like 'em. But then I don't exclusively play them.

I don't think they work well with a gamepad, but some of my best Wii gaming moments have been with FPS, so I'm surprised that hasn't become the default home for most of them now that there's a decent console controller for them. What have we got? A Metroid, a couple of MoHs and a CoD with Conduit looking promising on the horizon. More please.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:13 pm

Offline they vary wildly, from Excellent one's like Bioshock (yes it has RPG undertones but its a FPS), to utter sh*t, just like any other genre really.

Online they can be fantastic team based games.

To stick them all into a basket and say they are sh*t though is well wide of the mark, many of them are brimming with atmosphere, tension and interesting set pieces.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

JackBurton-Me

Post by JackBurton-Me » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:15 pm

FatTrucker wrote:Offline they vary wildly, from Excellent one's like Bioshock (yes it has RPG undertones but its a FPS), to utter sh*t, just like any other genre really.

Online they can be fantastic team based games.

To stick them all into a basket and say they are sh*t though is well wide of the mark, many of them are brimming with atmosphere, tension and interesting set pieces.
It's all just variations on exactly the same thing though. It's like the old Time Crisis arcade machines over and over and over and over again.

Rabiteman

Post by Rabiteman » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:22 pm

Even if you don't like the genre, dismissing them all as rubbish is a bit excessive. My favourite games include Deus Ex, Quake III Arena and Goldeneye. Not to mention Half-Life 2.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:22 pm

JackBurton-Me wrote: It's all just variations on exactly the same thing though. It's like the old Time Crisis arcade machines over and over and over and over again.
Not much that isn't though is there?. With a comment like that I'm guessing you haven't really played that many, particularly not in the last few years. I can't remember the last time I played a FPS that was just a mindless and pointless frag fest....possibly Unreal Tournament, but again if you take these games online they transform from a mindless shooting gallery into an incredibly competetive and entertaining bloodsport.

Most FPS today aren't shooting galleries, they have stories, interaction, characters, goals, other things to do, things to see etc etc.
Its a genre that's crossing more deeply into RPG territory, with games like the aforementioned Bioshock, Half Life and its sequels and even going back as far as Deus Ex that have complicated, interesting storylines and characters but are still basically FPS'.
You have games like Fear, and Doom 3 which are truly tense and full of brooding atmosphere, games like some of the Call of Duty installments that really manage to push the experience of being involved in armed conflicts.

I don't really understand your point as FPS are deeper and more varied than at any other time really. If anything they are the one type of game that is continuing to push the envelope and cross the genre gap.

Perhaps you've just been playing the wrong ones.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:26 pm

In the same vein: Puyo Puyo>Tetris. Rez>Space Harrier. Deathsmiles>Defender. Red Alert 2>Alien Syndrome. Wolfenstein 3D>Oblivion. etc.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:29 pm

Yep, pretty much any game that sits within a genre is a variation on the same theme.....that's pretty much what identifies it as part of a genre, being a bit generic and soforth.

So all puzzle games are variations on the same theme, so are all RPG's, all RTS's, Sports games, Racing Games....bugger, I'm going to have to knock this gaming lark on the head....turns out I've played it all before. :roll:

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:17 pm

Condemned 2 is a pretty awesome variation on the theme...being melee based and all. Pretty damn scary in parts too!
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:28 pm

Half Life 1 & 2 are among the best games from the last 20 years, Bioshock was superb and COD4 online is one of the best multiplayer games ever....... the rest are sh;t.

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:33 pm

My top three FPS:

Goldeneye 007
Half Life 2
Doom
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

SirClive

Re: First Person Shooters

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:34 pm

JackBurton-Me wrote:Honestly, how crap are they?

Will people get over it soon and will the market for these games die? I hope so.
At last, someone else who agrees :D

Though Bioshock can't be included!

IDDQD

Post by IDDQD » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:39 pm

You think all FPS games are crap? Even Half Life 2 and Bioshock?

I have to agree there have been some really crap FPS titles released recently ( The recent Turok springs to mind) but there have also been some really outstanding FPS such as COD4, Bioshock, Half Life 2, Battlefield 2 and of course my most played FPS Counter Strike Source.