EA working on new Syndicate

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sureshot

EA working on new Syndicate

Post by Sureshot » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:22 am

Cast your minds back to February, and you'll remember some excitement surrounding the revelation Starbreeze had been tapped by EA to work on one of the company's "classic" franchises. Some comments by EA boss John Riccitiello made it seem like that franchise was Road Rash, but CVG now say that - according to a "secret agent" - it's not. It is instead Syndicate, which EA didn't develop (Peter Molyneux's Bullfrog did), but which they do own the rights to. Exciting news, if also a little terrifying, since the chances of another studio capturing the feel of the original are - as we've already seen - slim.
Click

Now all that remains is firstly to see how much they might screw it up and secondly how many expansion packs they can milk out of it.

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:07 am

Wonderful. EA mutilate another happy memory and force it into the sex industry.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:08 pm

Oh joy.

Makes me nostalgic to blow the cobwebs of my copy of Syndicate wars, even if its only for the atmospheric music and sound.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:58 pm

The only problem I have with updated versions of games is that the programmers usually have no feeling of what made the original so loved so churn out another generic product that will appeal to no-one.

I'll ngive it 2-3 months tops before it ends up in the bargain bin.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:33 pm

I've only ever played this on SNES :oops: I'm assuming its much better on PC/Amiga?
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:48 pm

oh, hell yes. The PC version, especially. The Amiga version was excellent, but the PC version was just so much more lush. It had more cut-scenes and the graphics, obviously, were more smoother and more detailed, but thats not to say the Amiga version was ugly, far from it.

I can see EA f-ucking this up, making it a one off and, effectively killing the good name of Syndicate.......and then make another FIFA game.

Unless they can bring in an interplanetary-type level structure, so you play against other races. Could be fun, but then, EA know how to ruin something good. And then release a sh!t load of patches.....and thats just so you can install it!
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:50 am

I'm giving this one a chance, I've always thought syndicate could be updated and I'm just gonna hope against hope They (EA) dont eff it right up. Mind my effing and blinding!
Scott me up beamie!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:56 am

It's going to be nothing like the original and nowhere near as groundbreaking as the original was back in the day, unless I'm wrong and they are keeping the same isometric view but odds are it's gonna be a 3D gore-fest with cyborgs.

Pointless update as it will only serve to tarnish the memory of what was one of the finest 16-bit computer games ever made. But I'll try to keep my mind open.
JetSetWilly wrote:oh, hell yes. The PC version, especially. The Amiga version was excellent, but the PC version was just so much more lush. It had more cut-scenes and the graphics, obviously, were more smoother and more detailed, but thats not to say the Amiga version was ugly, far from it.
I found the A500 version almost unplayable due to the slowdown, but if you were lucky enough to have a A1200 the game ran at a very fast lick, especially if you ran it in NTSC.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:36 am

C=Style wrote:I found the A500 version almost unplayable due to the slowdown, but if you were lucky enough to have a A1200 the game ran at a very fast lick, especially if you ran it in NTSC.
Really? I found it quite playable. I gave it a go a few months ago and still found it playable. But then, I did put a 512kb upgrade into it, to make it 1mb. Might play it soon....
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:34 pm

EA rarely make poor games these days ; and don't forget Syndicate is part of EA's heritage being one of their own games

Looking forward to this one , although there is the distinct possibility we will only see a port from 360 or PS3 on PC - or maybe not at all
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:57 pm

It would be a god fit for Wii.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:23 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:EA rarely make poor games these days ; and don't forget Syndicate is part of EA's heritage being one of their own games

Looking forward to this one , although there is the distinct possibility we will only see a port from 360 or PS3 on PC - or maybe not at all
That's not strictly true. Although Syndicate was developed by Bullfrog, who later merged into EA, I'd suspect that very few of the people who worked on the originals are still with them. Peter Molyneux certainly isn't.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:35 pm

Matt_B wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:EA rarely make poor games these days ; and don't forget Syndicate is part of EA's heritage being one of their own games

That's not strictly true. Although Syndicate was developed by Bullfrog, who later merged into EA, I'd suspect that very few of the people who worked on the originals are still with them. Peter Molyneux certainly isn't.
Oh , I agree - EA were only the guys who sold it. What I meant though , is that I would hope/imagine they would be more protective of a piece of their own publishing history than they may of someone else's
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:10 am

Do you think Nintendo would let you burn "civies" with a flamethrower attatchment?
Scott me up beamie!

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:43 am

I had Syndicate on the Atari Jaguar and I really liked it. The thing that let it down badly though and spoilt the enjoyment was that it was incredibly slow and jerky. I'm not sure if all versions were like this or if it was just the Atari Jaguar version that was like this. Was all versions like this?
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth