I bought a Eee PC

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

miner2049er

Post by miner2049er » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:42 am

Matt_B wrote:Whatever gave you that idea? There's certainly nothing on their website that gives that impression and their tag line is "Easy to learn, work and play".
Advertising it any other way would limit their market. In the same way that

"A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play." not just work.
Matt_B wrote:Certainly, if they were aiming at the business market they've missed it by a million miles. However, that's not stopped them from selling like the proverbial hot cakes to the home market.
Agreed, they are selling well, but I wonder how many will still be in use in a year's time when people realise that editing their home movies and organising their holiday snaps on it is a nightmare.

I remember the mobile phone market doing the exact same thing.

Big phones that worked but needed a portable battery
Smaller phones with better batteries
Cheaper phones that home users could afford
Smaller and smaller handsets that people found trendy
Larger phones with more functionality and better technology

Laptops are going the same way I think. This christmas is going to be huge for the webtops with tons of students getting them for christmas, then once reality hits and people find them limiting they will want their big screens and DVD Drives back.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:50 pm

miner2049er wrote:Laptops are going the same way I think. This christmas is going to be huge for the webtops with tons of students getting them for christmas, then once reality hits and people find them limiting they will want their big screens and DVD Drives back.
I think that this is where most people go wrong.

The EeePC is not meant to be your only "do everything" laptop. It's meant to be used as a second machine for use when a full size laptop is not practical.

I use one for e-mailing and web browsing when I'm out and about and I use my main PC for the more heavy duty stuff like photo editing and games.

miner2049er

Post by miner2049er » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:42 pm

Xesh wrote:I think that this is where most people go wrong.

The EeePC is not meant to be your only "do everything" laptop. It's meant to be used as a second machine for use when a full size laptop is not practical.
Which is why it misses both markets.
Xesh wrote:I use one for e-mailing and web browsing when I'm out and about and I use my main PC for the more heavy duty stuff like photo editing and games.
My smartphone does that, for less money, for longer and fits in my pocket.

I'm glad you like yours. They're just not for me.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.

Xesh

Post by Xesh » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:57 pm

miner2049er wrote:My smartphone does that, for less money, for longer and fits in my pocket.

I'm glad you like yours. They're just not for me.
I'd rather have the larger screen and keyboard though. Smartphones are not for me. :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:19 am

I'm a huge fan of netbooks/UMPC's etc and have had a few the last few years.

I use mine for gaming, lots of emulators on them, watching movies, doing demos and connecting to a large monitor for customers etc. Surfing etc, superb being very small and lightweight.

Best of all theres no dodgy ringtones on it to annoy everyone !

boyo

Post by boyo » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:42 am

So far I'm impressed.

A colleague in work was so impressed with it, he went out and bought one for himself!

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:09 am

Xesh wrote:
miner2049er wrote:The EeePC is not meant to be your only "do everything" laptop. It's meant to be used as a second machine for use when a full size laptop is not practical.

I use one for e-mailing and web browsing when I'm out and about and I use my main PC for the more heavy duty stuff like photo editing and games.
I think this is the, relatively new, market slot they will fill. We already have two Desktops and a shared laptop.
I'm getting one for my wife at xmas. Don't know what one yet, but it has to be pink! (so our son won't nick it, apparently)

She wants it because:
1) It has wireless built in so she can use it at hot-spots.
2) It can surf the web; e.g. 'facebook' and MSN look ok on the screen.
3) She can get her e-mail on it.
4) It's pink and fits in her handbag!

No. 4 is a major selling point!

We are thinking about getting a newer laptop and ditching the main desktop, but this is seen as a different thing from the net-pc, web-pc, eee pc thigimibob.

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:33 am

So what MAME and UAE like on a EeePC ??

What level of game can they do at full frame rate , or are we talking all of them ?

David

Post by David » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:34 am

I want one of these.

Unfortunately I am poor.

oh well

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:54 pm

I have an Eee PC with Linux and think it's great, haven't tried any emulators on it though.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:48 am

They had an Eee PC in Morrisons on offer for £199 with 1gb ram (advertised like it was bargain of the year). It looked really nice but I'm not sure how much of a great deal it is as they only mentioned the 1gb ram spec and nothing else.

I was sorely tempted but I'm not sure I can justify another £200 on a hand held device when I already have a jazzed up PSP and DSL with pretty much everything I want. It's just that Amiga and C64 hand held emulation is sooooo appealing. 8)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:48 am

C=Style wrote:They had an Eee PC in Morrisons on offer for £199 with 1gb ram (advertised like it was bargain of the year). It looked really nice but I'm not sure how much of a great deal it is as they only mentioned the 1gb ram spec and nothing else.
Apparently it's the 900 (900 MHz Celeron M, 1GB RAM, 16GB SSD, 9" screen) model. Around £200 is the going rate for it, so that's not a particularly special offer, although kudos to Asus for getting it into a supermarket of all places. You can get the 701 (same CPU, 512MB RAM, 4GB SSD, 7" screen) model for under £150 too from places like Play.

That said, I'd recommend shelling out the extra for one of the newer ones (901/1000) with the Atom CPU as it gives much better battery performance. Unless you're always going to be within a couple of hours of a power socket, which rather defeats the point of having one.

You can also get the Linux version of the Acer Aspire One for under £200, which has an Atom CPU and a much nicer keyboard than the Eee PC too. However, it's got a very weedy battery as standard which gives it similar mobility to the Celeron Eee PCs, and only has 512MB RAM and an 8GB SSD.
I was sorely tempted but I'm not sure I can justify another £200 on a hand held device when I already have a jazzed up PSP and DSL with pretty much everything I want. It's just that Amiga and C64 hand held emulation is sooooo appealing. 8)
It's nowhere near as portable as either of those and if you're just wanting to play games on it, you'd probably do better to hold out for the Pandora as that's half the size and has proper games controls built in. Only with applications where you really need something resembling a proper keyboard does the Eee PC come into its own; I suppose that might include some Amiga and C64 games though.

filecore

Post by filecore » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:28 pm

I've got the eee PC 701. 4gb SSD, 512MB RAM in black. Bought it last December when they had just come out.

I love it! It's not a full spec laptop replacement but is lightweight and great for travelling. I can surf the web, check email, upload photos etc.

I'm running the Linux (Xandros) that comes with it. Got VLC and a few apps installed, and a 2GB SD card in the slot for storage.
SNES9X runs great also.

Got it set up so I can access and control my main PC when I'm sat in front of the telly.

So thumbs up for me for my usage on it! :)