Western games vs Japanese games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

PSXPlayer

Post by PSXPlayer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:10 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:Nope... not having it.

They are not games of any sort let alone video games...
Are you me?

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:32 pm

Yeah, Opa, ditch the alt already. :wink:

I dont regard that stuff as being videogames either. I'm gonna evoke the w**ky word that is "edutainment."

Dunno where Typing of the Dead, which I think is a great game, stands though- Mavis Beacon Does Zombies? I dig Electroplankton as well.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:49 pm

The idea that europe and the U.S are the important markets might have been true 3 months ago but its getting less true by the day.

I don't think the style of Japanese or western games is at all relevant to their success in the current generation. Japanese companies have been unwilling to invest the big money into next generation games unlike western companies, they probably don't have as many debts though.

The big western companies have bought out smaller rivals to create larger companies with more money, leaving us with EA, Activision and Ubisoft as the major players. In Japan mergers are more the vogue (square-enix, namco-bandai) but most of the bigger companies are still trying to go it alone. If the likes of Capcom, Konami and Sega were to start merging I'm sure we'd see Japanese games giving us a run for our money again.

A lot of the smaller Japanese companies are waiting for the PS3 to become more viable, I'm sure once the price comes down a load of games will come out of the woodwork. The xmas line up is mostly western but don't forget the likes of street fighter IV and resident Evil 5 next year.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:23 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Space Marines are aces. You never play Warhammer 40k as a kid?

I'd rather play as a Space Marine than a pointy hatted feminine elf boy or an angsty kid. Or a moustachioed italian plumber come to think of it.
Nope, I'll choose the pointy hatted feminine elf boy or the angsty kid every time.

Did you never play Dungeons & Dragons or watch films like 'Legend' as a kid? ;)

As for things like Brain Training being 'games'....like it or not, they are. Brain Training for example offers a wi-fi 'Vs.' mode were you have to solve a series of sums quicker than the other player....it's crap and the sums are easy so it just boils down to who can write answers on their touch screen the quicjest, but it does constitute being a 'game' of sorts I would've thought.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

gmintyfresh

Re: Western games vs Japanese games

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:02 am

sleeper77 wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote: No More Heroes
That was reported as a "sales flop", even though it is a great game.
Apparently it didn't sell well in Japan but did in Europe and America.
Last edited by gmintyfresh on Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

David

Post by David » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:04 am

Just flicking through the manual for Fire Pro Gaiden and although the whole manual is in japanese, it appears from the screenshots that the in-game menus, etc are in english.

Result! no more impossible navigation through menus like in Fire Pro D :D