Western games vs Japanese games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:48 am

Coopdevil wrote:
I remember reading once that FPS don't go down well in Japan because of a tendency amongst Japanese to suffer motion sickness. I don't know if that's true or not, after all once upon a time the British Army reckoned the Japanese would never attack at night as they all suffered from poor night vision and that turned out to be "they are different to us" inspired nonsense.
That's just Hideo Kojima, he said it in an interview with Games TM this month about FPS.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:53 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
Coopdevil wrote: That's just Hideo Kojima, he said it in an interview with Games TM this month about FPS.
Did he? That's not where I got it from I remember reading it back in the days of Quake I. That might be the first time I've heard of a Japanese saying it though.

Coop

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:56 am

I suffer from motion sickness with some FPS games. I'm not Japanese.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:42 am

Coopdevil wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote:
Coopdevil wrote: That's just Hideo Kojima, he said it in an interview with Games TM this month about FPS.
Did he? That's not where I got it from I remember reading it back in the days of Quake I. That might be the first time I've heard of a Japanese saying it though.

Coop
What a strange coincidence :D

sleeper77

Re: Western games vs Japanese games

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:33 am

gmintyfresh wrote: No More Heroes
That was reported as a "sales flop", even though it is a great game.

ShadowMan

Re: Western games vs Japanese games

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:46 am

sleeper77 wrote:
gmintyfresh wrote: No More Heroes
That was reported as a "sales flop", even though it is a great game.
Its somehow getting a sequel though, and apparantly Europe will get 2 versions: An uncut gory version and an edited version.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:52 am

Having never really embraced the consoles (with the odd exception) I never really got on the Japanese game boat. I grew up with home computers and kind of moved to a PC with the odd console in the background.

I never really 'got' Japanese games, I remember thinking that FF7 was quite good but the twee story and graphics really put me off. That seems to be the staple of a lot of Japanese games in my view.

Mind you, I'm looking forward to the next Resident Evil and Silent Hill games for the terrible voice acting if nothing else!:)

Japanese games may sell well in Japan but the big markets are Europe and America. You can understand why Eastern game makers are anxious to do well in that market even though they make money in their home territory. I don't think Japanese games have got any worse, they just haven't progressed at the same level as Western games for consoles.
I think therefore I'm right!

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:20 pm

Can we consider all the rubbish DS & Wii games (like Brain Training, only useless) as Japanese games? The Japanese have always been fond of this kind of games (I include dating games in this category), and now, there are plenty over here.

I mean: I never thought that something like "Brain training" or "Eye training" would get a release in Europe, even though these games, selling like hot cakes in Japan seemed only logical to me...
I'd even say that Nintendo has more or less "Japan-ised" the Western market with their current game policy.
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:37 pm

The Brain Training type games are still selling well in the West and it is a genre that is doing extemely well in the charts. Because it is being branded as a casual game, it has appealed to many who still want to play games in this day and age of long working hours and busy lifestyles. They don't appeal to me either but if they do appeal even to the "hardcore gamers", then Nintendo must be doing something right for the West to buy these by the bucketload even if they were a success in the first place in Japan. Rubbish to some but it is a winning formula over the successful Japanese RPGs that never get PAL releases or are released in Europe in relatively small numbers knowing they won't sell much anyway, as being the norm for some time they only have a small following over here.
Last edited by sleeper77 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:42 pm

Can we stop calling turds like brain training, sight training and anything else that Patrick Stuart and Julie Walters think is great a GAME..?

Wheres the game..? The are just stupid little programs that a good Homebrew coder could knock up in a few days using a BBC micro, a ball of wool and some spit.

They are not games, if they are then I would like to see a retroinspection of the Mavis Beacon typing tutor because I spent ages "playing" that.
Or what about the hazzard perseption part on the driving test, I played that and thought it was great, the graphics were so life like :roll:

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:51 pm

Well, if they are not games why are they in the games charts then? Like I said I don't like them nor would I pay any money for a game, or program or whatever you want to call it, of that genre. Like it or not, they are here to stay because they will sell loads and give much needed dosh to these companies. Times have moved and we have to accept it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:01 pm

sleeper77 wrote: Times have moved and we have to accept it.
No we don't..!

They are not games because we say they are not.
We started this whole gaming thing, we defined the genre's and we made up the terminology.

Just because it is marketed as a game doesn't mean we have to include them, yes they are here to stay and yes they are sold as games, but we know better than that. Don't we..?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:13 pm

I would guess they still fall under the definition of games, although not typical they are still games surely?

GAME

1. An activity providing entertainment or amusement; a pastime
a. A competitive activity or sport in which players contend with each other according to a set of rules
b. A single instance of such an activity
c. games An organized athletic program or contest
d. A period of competition or challenge

They are games! :P

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:24 pm

Nope... not having it.

They are not games of any sort let alone video games...

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:37 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:Can we stop calling turds like brain training, sight training and anything else that Patrick Stuart and Julie Walters think is great a GAME..?

Wheres the game..? The are just stupid little programs that a good Homebrew coder could knock up in a few days using a BBC micro, a ball of wool and some spit.

They are not games, if they are then I would like to see a retroinspection of the Mavis Beacon typing tutor because I spent ages "playing" that.
Or what about the hazzard perseption part on the driving test, I played that and thought it was great, the graphics were so life like :roll:
Agree 100%.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*