Favourite Shoot'em ups in the Arcade?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:44 am

Just had another session on Dimahoo- it really is a gem of a shooter.

I'd go as far as to say that its the perfect entry point for anyone a bit sceptical about modern vertical shooters, as its relatively gentle for the first couple of levels.

My gf did the first level without losing a life on her second go, so its definitely a good one for you creaking oldsters out there.

:wink:
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Yep, Dimahoo is amazing once it all clicks. When you play correctly you learn when to switch polarity at just the right moment every time you play the levels which adds just that little extra dimension of strategy other shumps don't have and doesn't leave you sitting there getting bored for 1 second, it's very intense. Add to this some incredibly rich art design, gfx and audio and probably the most satisfying explosive gameplay out there you've got one hell of a shmup on your hands! I cannot recommend this game enough.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:27 am

Hi Guys,

Happy Christmas!

I'm going back a bit but the other 'oldies' on here will know what I mean.

There was nothing quite like playing Phoenix on a table-top machine in a pub when you were too young to be in there! Just loved the Boss stage on that.

Also enjoyed Gorf whilst in Spain in 82 as I liked the speech, sound effects and swirly alien patterns on that one.

And then Flying Shark in the late 80's whilst at Butlins as it was colourful and I could actually survive for a while on that one for some reason as I am cr*p at shmups!

As you can tell, I'm no expert on them either ;)
'What's a Ftoomch?'

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:33 am

Whenever I see an R-Type arcade, I have to put money in.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:41 pm

Shmups I played lots or impressed me most in the arcade are:

Gyruss
Time Pilot
Terra Cresta
Vulcan Venture
Varth
Midnight Wanderers and Chariot from Three Wonders
Mercs
Carrier Airwing
Xexex (only got to play it a couple times though before it disappeared!)
Flying Shark
Truxton 2
Outzone
Lightning Fighters
Task Force Harrier
Raiden DX
19XX
Eco Fighters
Metal Slug
Strikers 1945
Raiden Fighters 2
Dimahoo
Battle Garegga

Have since aquired plenty more I love equally though - mainly Toaplan, Cave and Raizing stuff. I definitely prefer my vertical shmups methinks!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:23 pm

Galaxian for me, although i have put a fair bit of time and 10p's into Galaga '88
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:57 pm

Galaga 88 is superb- along with Space Invaders Extreme its my favorite old school, fixed-to-the-bottom-of-the-screen shooter.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:06 pm

Yeah, and to think i got into Galaga because of 'WarGames'.....
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:12 am

What - noone mentioned Defender yet?

With original controls.. only way of laying down fire to get those baiters...

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:01 am

TBH not played many decent shooters in the arcades, bar the Metal Slug games, a few of the crapper Psyiko games, Strikers 1945+. Did manage to play Zero Gunner 2 though, which was pretty good.

People have been very lucky to play some of the titles listed here! I'd love to see Dodonpachi in an arcade.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:04 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Played Last Resort the other day on my mates AES. Wow could be called R-Type 4 the graphics are still great and the game plays very well - It could be an expensive christmas........
You think so? I can't stand it myself. The 'force' control system just seems a bit fiddly and well, pointless, it feels very claustraphobic the majority of the time and the wave patterns are quite confusing.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:33 am

oli_lar wrote:People have been very lucky to play some of the titles listed here! I'd love to see Dodonpachi in an arcade.
Ah, I took the thread to mean arcade shooters you rate, rather than games you've actually played in an arcade setting. I've not played in an arcade for years. :(

Revised list time! I played and enjoyed the following back in the day in the arcade:

R-Type, Terra Cresta, Tatsujin/Truxton, Vulcan Venture, Galaga 88, X-Multiply, Space Invaders 91.

The following bad-boys were discovered through peoples recommendations and Mame:

DoDonpachi, Tengai/Sengouku Blade, Gunbird 2, Dimahoo, Xexex, Esp Ra De and Dragon Blaze.

All of the games listed are games I still play now & the second group have become definite Mame favorites of mine.

Edit- are there even any UK arcades that have a decent range of shooters, contemporary or otherwise, or is it all driving cabs and the odd fighter?

Weekend_Warrior

Post by Weekend_Warrior » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:05 am

Strikers 1945
Galaga
Raiden
Daioh