Favourite Shoot'em ups in the Arcade?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Favourite Shoot'em ups in the Arcade?

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:32 pm

What are people's favourite shot'em ups in the Arcade?

Mine were Aliens(which never got converted to the home formats). A great game with loud music. Think of it as a Alien bound Contra. I also loved Mercs as well, only ever played it two player, not 3 player, as the arcade machine it was in was a two player one. I also liked Metal Slug 2 as I played this a bit in the arcade as well. I have got to mention Smash TV as well (on Margate seafront, when the arcade had a machine for it!).

Nowadays I do play some arcade games on MAME. 1944:Loopmaster is great, R-Type II are great.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:05 am

i don't have favorites...its unfair on the others!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:29 am

I was addicted to Nemesis then Salamander in my youth. Foolishly bought them both when they came out on the spectrum!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:10 am

Always liked Slap Fight and Xexex although I was never really any good at them and in the case of one I couldn't even pronounce it.
Splink!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:32 am

So many faves, from the original spacies through Ghosts n Goblins, R Type, metal slugs, even old Zaxxon...

...The one I keep returning to again and again is the classic Xevious. That'd still be the fave for me :)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:24 am

Ghosts and Goblins as I could get quite far on it, in the 80's..
Wardener
Speed Rumbler
Metroid arcade game, actually the main character looked like Samus, and it took place on different planets a Egyptian planet,Swamp with Dinosaur Boss and a Space Station(lots of masked enemies with Lights Sabers the second half was a shooter escaping the planet as it blew up.. Un-pronounceable name..

Terra Cresta
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:26 am

Shinobi wrote: Metroid arcade game, actually the main character looked like Samus, and it took place on different planets a Egyptian planet,Swamp with Dinosaur Boss and a Space Station(lots of masked enemies with Lights Sabers the second half was a shooter escaping the planet as it blew up.. Un-pronounceable name..
Sounds like Xain'd Sleena. :D

Was called Solar Warrior in the US which is much more pronouncable. It was also converted to most home machines of the day under the title 'Soldier of Light'.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Romulous

Post by Romulous » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:58 am

I was a big fan of Starforce and Juno First back in the day.

Both great games, although i never managed to get the proper bonuses on Starforce, not for want of trying.

I saw Wardener in the post too. One of my faves, 20 pence went a long way on that game easy to complete.

Battle wings was another favourite, although looking at MAME i cant help but think the colours are completely off, especially when you compare it to the poster on Arcade flyers.

Xaind Sleena was another favourite, again mentioned in the post, once you knew the layout and boss actions - the terrible slowdown made it sooo easy to finish.
Failure isn't about falling down, failure is staying down.

Romulous

David GP

Post by David GP » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:19 am

I've always had a soft spot for Nichibutsu / NihonBussan shooters.

Terra Cresta, Dangar or Terra Force are what all shooters should be like : games with vibrant graphics, catchy music, outrageous power-ups and huge explosions all around.

Now, for sheer class, a serious look at the Gradius series should convince anyone that Konami rules them all !

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:57 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
Shinobi wrote: Metroid arcade game, actually the main character looked like Samus, and it took place on different planets a Egyptian planet,Swamp with Dinosaur Boss and a Space Station(lots of masked enemies with Lights Sabers the second half was a shooter escaping the planet as it blew up.. Un-pronounceable name..
Sounds like Xain'd Sleena. :D

Was called Solar Warrior in the US which is much more pronouncable. It was also converted to most home machines of the day under the title 'Soldier of Light'.
That's it, I tried googling it under Zain but nothing, no wonder why.. Just looked it up on 'You Tube' and finally saw somebody finish it after all these years
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

TMR

Post by TMR » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:17 pm

i've always liked Thundercross, although i prefer the Japanese version of the original to the Western one 'cos they made loads of changes. =-( Thundercross 2 is class as well. =-)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:38 pm

Salamader was a sure-fire win as 10p went a long long way when you could clock the game 6 times over :)

Short of that I'm also saying Carrier Airwing

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:37 pm

Became a big fan of X-Multiply after playing it to death one rainy week in Pwllheli.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Side Arms.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:45 am

David GP wrote:Terra Cresta, Dangar or Terra Force are what all shooters should be like : games with vibrant graphics, catchy music, outrageous power-ups and huge explosions all around.
Terra Cresta is my absolute favorite shoot'em up. I still scream "Firebird!" when I manage to gather all the 5 ship components. I love the music too.
Strangely, it's the only one I like of the series, as Moon Cresta, Dangar and Terra Force never appealed too much.

Following that, I'd add to the list
R-Type
Xevious
Gyruss