What is your idea of gaming heaven?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

plumduff

What is your idea of gaming heaven?

Post by plumduff » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:20 pm

So what's your idea of gaming heaven?

Is it:

- Closing the curtains on a hot day and settling down to a gaming session when you should be outside?

- Making that first cut in the shrink wrap round a new game (and why does it always need a knife?) and smelling that lovely new (or old) smell.

- Booting up your fav game, knowing there's gonna be no-one home for hours?

Perhaps it's all those things, but of course it's also gonna also include a killer game.

For me the game today was R-Type Final PS2, closely followed by the original R-Type courtesy of the Virtual Console. Geat gameplay, still a challenge after all these years, but never frustrating.

So what's gaming nirvana for you?

PSXPlayer

Post by PSXPlayer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:26 pm

15 sex-mad busty bikini girls, all under 5'8", with a 6 pack of Carling and maybe a copy of Tetris... Maybe not Tetris. Maybe not the bikinis.

stejay

Post by stejay » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:34 pm

Cold day, curtains shut, playing a good game for hours, having some pizza and cola, watching some TV, maybe even a bit of internet, and then getting back in the saddle for more gaming. That is my day off basically.

plumduff

Post by plumduff » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:40 pm

PSXPlayer wrote:15 sex-mad busty bikini girls, all under 5'8", with a 6 pack of Carling and maybe a copy of Tetris... Maybe not Tetris. Maybe not the bikinis.
I guess now that you mention it my R-Type session looks a bit tame...

PSXPlayer

Post by PSXPlayer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:57 pm

Yeah - I kind of derailed that. Sorry buddy.

Gaming heaven? No wife. No phones. No pressures. No work. No chores. Unlimited funds. A perfect CD shelfing system. No requirement for sleep. Everyone on eBay has a perfect rating, items get delievered immediately. And unlimited access to Sega F355 arcade machine, with a telemetric printout doodaar. Just so I can practice. Plus access to unlimited game related gubbins. Like the character models from Resident Evil 4, with absolutely no guilt about how old I am, or indeed, how much they cost.

...then obviously the Bikini girls. w/baby-oil.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:33 pm

It doesn't happen too often, but sometimes I just have an amazing gaming session that pretty much gives me a high. Usually I have to play for a long time to get in the mode, but once I do there's nothing else I'd rather be doing.

Out of all the consoles I've had the Saturn gave me that feeling the most, followed by the Dreamcast and then the Xbox 360. I seem to be getting back into gaming in a fairly big way these days, but I just never have the time (this week I've worked a 72hr week). When my day off comes this Wed/Thu I'm gonna spend a fair bit of quality time with them as many are going unplayed.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:54 pm

Being able to complete any arcade game on 1 credit
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:25 pm

Easy this one. Sunny summers afternoon on a Saturday and strolling into the biggest arcade that has all the classics and top arcade games, all on free play.

Walking in hearing all the noises, sounds, tunes, jingles, shooting noises, explosions. Lights flashing, Afterburner cabinets spinning around, Outrun cabs moving around.

every machine is original and working 100%, classic 80's pop tunes playing and waitresses walking round with free drinks.

heaven :D

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:27 pm

Day off work.

Bottle of Red.

Curtains SHUT.

Mobile off.

No-one home.

Then the games? Well, today it was several hours of Battlefield 2142, with breaks on the Dreamcast (mainly shmups) and the Wii (Star Wars - Force unleashed).
After 1-2 hours of Battlefield, I get into a zone which is hard to snap back out of - it's brilliant, when you've done you really feel like you're 'unplugging'.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:28 pm

Gaming heaven to me would be having a few days free to do what i want instead of the usual work/house chores ;)

Playing on my MAME bartop for hours on end, completing some of the arcade classics i love.
PSXPlayer wrote:15 sex-mad busty bikini girls, all under 5'8", with a 6 pack of Carling and maybe a copy of Tetris... Maybe not Tetris. Maybe not the bikinis.
You into midgets or something ?

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:37 pm

Gaming heaven for me would be: lots of free time (I'm talking days, maybe weeks with nothing else to do but play), loads of junk food (pizza, fries, Coke and pasta too... :lol: ), all my games and consoles, and an laptop with Internet access (in case I get stuck in a game).
All this in a big dark room with a huge HD TV (or a normal TV for older systems), 5.1 sound system and no one to bother me... :roll:
Maybe when I'm retired?... :lol:

Now, as for the games, I'd basically want to finish (or at least play decently) every game that I own...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:45 pm

I get a very rare saturday when my wife and daughter go shopping and my son is at his mates....

then the curtains are shut , the phone is switched off....a couple of dvds, a couple of games and NO INTERRUPTIONS.

Simple pleasures.

If I dont get this then a nice hour on my pc with my headphones on playing a fps....

Or half an hour on the bed with my ds....

Or sitting on the bus with my ipod and psp...

As long as no one bothers me.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:48 pm

May be a bit lame but for me it would pissing down outside, dogs asleep, chips'n dips, bottled lager, pyjama's (or lounging clothes) and playing Star Wars Lego with my girlfriend.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:56 pm

SirClive wrote:May be a bit lame but for me it would pissing down outside, dogs asleep, chips'n dips, bottled lager, pyjama's (or lounging clothes) and playing Star Wars Legover with my girlfriend.
Edited that for you as you missed the `ver`

Princess Leia Bikini ??? or does your girlfriend wear it :wink:

DPrinny

Re: What is your idea of gaming heaven?

Post by DPrinny » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:03 pm

For me its just kickin back in my recliner with a cold one with my music blastin out
plumduff wrote: - Closing the curtains on a hot day and settling down to a gaming session when you should be outside?
Thats why they make handheldsImage
- Booting up your fav game, knowing there's gonna be no-one home for hours?
Id be surprised if anyone walked throw the door