Most Overrated Arcade Classic?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:57 am

Sometimes I wonder if the people who hate on Outrun are just people who never slow down for corners and then blame the game when they hit a tree.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:11 am

paranoid marvin wrote:How many people nominating Robotron played the original twin-stick arcade version?
I have, at length. I've really tried to enjoy it but I don't get any better at it no matter how much I play, gets boring and repetive way too quickly, too many random elements for my liking, and it ends up leaving a sour taste in my mouth. Similarly though it's not a coin-op, I think Geometry Wars is vastly overrated too.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:12 am

SirClive wrote:Another Street Fighter 2 vote here.
Are you having a laugh? :shock:
sscott wrote:Hang on SirClive, you can't understand people voting for Frogger or Outrun, then vote for SFii, THE WORLD HAS INDEED GONE MAD!
SirClive has lost his mind! SF2 is superb, probably the most successful arcade one-on-one 2D beat-em-up.
sscott wrote:I would vote for House of the Dead games, eater of £1 coins!
I quite like the House of the Dead games. However, it's better as a two-player.
Emperor Fossil wrote:Sometimes I wonder if the people who hate on Outrun are just people who never slow down for corners and then blame the game when they hit a tree.
I agree with that one!
I'm somewhat of an Outrun fan. I really enjoyed Outrun when I first played it, especially in that excellent car cabinet.

Sherringford Hovis

Post by Sherringford Hovis » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:14 am

Outrun eh? I remember it being the absoloute game to play back in the arcades, my mates loved it. Wasn't a fan myself, never been into driving games but it looked fantastic. It was so far ahead of anything else on the market at the time, certainly worth of the classic label. I just don't like it very much.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, it just so happens that those of you who think Robotron 2084 and Defender where overated happen to be all kinds of wrong and are clearly mad. Y'see, not liking something is one thing but to deny that Defender and Robotron (all hail) are anything other than classics and cliam that they are overrated indicates some sort of disease, probably leprosy of the brain or something. Scientists have proved time and again that Defender and Robotron are fantastic.

Oh well, each to their own I guess. Defender not a classic? I weep for the future.

<sob>
[/i]
I think therefore I'm right!

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:16 am

woody.cool wrote:
SirClive wrote:Another Street Fighter 2 vote here.
Are you having a laugh? :shock:
sscott wrote:Hang on SirClive, you can't understand people voting for Frogger or Outrun, then vote for SFii, THE WORLD HAS INDEED GONE MAD!
SirClive has lost his mind! SF2 is superb, probably the most successful arcade one-on-one 2D beat-em-up.
Success is no barometer for quality. Titanic (for a while) was the most successful film ever, but it was still censored.
I am the most successful Retro Videogaming YouTuber Called SirClive (its a fact), but that doesn't change the fact that I am a stuttering northern fool.
Last edited by SirClive on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:17 am

SirClive wrote:Success is no barometer for quality. Titanic (for a while) was the most successful film ever, but it was still censored.
Very true, Westlife have about 11,000 number 1 singles, cant exactly say theyre great !

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:18 am

Sherringford Hovis wrote:Oh well, each to their own I guess. Defender not a classic? I weep for the future.
To claim Defender is over-rated is madness. I share your opinion there Sherringford.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:42 am

Space Harrier. Terrible game.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:48 am

Space Harrier was over hyped but it was a nice variation on a simple idea ? Still impressed by some of the 8 bit conversions

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:57 am

For me it would be Double Dragon. I never got to play it when it was first released (I started with Final Fight) and can never get into the game, the combat feels slow and clumsy. Granted thats just my opinion and I am sure many will disagree with me on that!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:58 am

The enjoyment of Space Harrier, and indeed Afterburner, was rather dependant on being sat in an enormous hydraulic chair, at risk of being tipped embarassingly onto the floor of the arcade. I've tried getting someone to push my seat around while playing the home versions but it's not quite the same.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:30 am

ShadowMan wrote:For me it would be Double Dragon. I never got to play it when it was first released (I started with Final Fight) and can never get into the game, the combat feels slow and clumsy. Granted thats just my opinion and I am sure many will disagree with me on that!
I've always thought that the characters in Double Dragon look like girls. It handles terribly too. It's a shame, as I quite liked the idea of Double Dragon at the time, just that I think it's aged badly.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:06 am

Another for Double Dragon here. Thing is, it was good at the time I guess but is still highly rated by a lot of people... until they play it again! ;)

Space Invaders is a bit poo as well but I suppose you had to be there when there were virtually no other shmups to truly appreciate it...
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:41 am

I'm still a big fan of Double Dragon. I was extremely pleased to see it released for the XBLA.

I vote for House of the Dead 2, like sscott said: £1 coin eater!
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:44 am

woody.cool wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:For me it would be Double Dragon. I never got to play it when it was first released (I started with Final Fight) and can never get into the game, the combat feels slow and clumsy. Granted thats just my opinion and I am sure many will disagree with me on that!
I've always thought that the characters in Double Dragon look like girls. It handles terribly too. It's a shame, as I quite liked the idea of Double Dragon at the time, just that I think it's aged badly.
Kind of reassuring that I'm not the only person to feel the same way!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*