Most Overrated Arcade Classic?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:11 am

I'm hoping the Outrun haters have just not played it with the wheel/analogue and only hate it due to playing home conversions using a digital pad. There is utterly nothing wrong with the controls on Outrun when using the original wheel. Either that or everyone is crap :)

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:24 am

Another vote for Q*bert. It really is an awful awful game.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:32 am

SirClive wrote:
I would agree and disagree there. You are spot on with the 12 yeard old wish fulfillment, but both games can be finished quite easily on very few credits (virtually everyone can complete DD in one credit surely, if the use the elbow technique).
Is that the one where you elbow the cab and it gives you an extra credit?
Splink!

David

Post by David » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:54 am

Daytona USA

it's just......well, sh*t. :?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:02 am

Another for Outrun I really do like the game but I cannot understand why some people think it's a great an average and fun racer. Now the remake in my opinion is great, Space Invaders would have to be up there too

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:17 am

About Outrun, I loved the game back when I was a young one, playing it on the arcade with the full setup (moving chair etc), was great. However, I had little cash and I rarely got to play it at all, apart from on the C64. However, I got an Amiga later on, and got Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge and the sequels, and now I much prefer this over Outrun. I know they're just a clone of the original Outrun, but it was the best we could get. And if they had made an arcade version of the Lotus series, with the full setup like Outrun - it would be a match made in heaven.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:28 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Another for Outrun I really do like the game but I cannot understand why some people think it's a great an average and fun racer. Now the remake in my opinion is great, Space Invaders would have to be up there too
Although I could go on about Outrun for hours I won't - but from playing Outrun to death when it was originally out, the appeal is how the scenery changes, you're against the clock not other racers, there are 5 different endings and so much variety in the scenary. It was also technically astounding at the time - there was literally nothing else at the time that looked so good. Then there was the soundtrack, the shaking wheel and all the other Sega goodness. It was AWESOME. And the way you can weave through the traffic clearly inspired Burnout (which incidently is an anagram of Outrun B :) )

If you were good at Outrun and could clock it everytime on any route it was a joy to play - so unforgiving as well how you just crash if you touch any other car. The amount of people I saw play it who always crash on the 3 way corner at the end of stage 1 and then get game over is ridiculous. I'm convinced that those who really played it back in the day will still love it now (and I mean really really got it into it)

I can also see how difficult it would be to understand NOW especially with how much games have evolved since. But put on MAME and look at other racers from around the time Outrun was out - they have aged massively, much more than Outrun. For example, Chase HQ is awful now.

But hey that's my opinion and now I need to stop writing and do work.
Last edited by Mootown on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:39 am

Mootown wrote: I can also see how difficult it would be to understand NOW especially with how much games have evolved since. But put on MAME and look at other racers from around the time Outrun was out - they have aged massively, much more than Outrun. For example, Chase HQ is awful now.
Totally agree with that, many of the games i can understand why they were popular when they first came out (Space Invaders, Pac Man) and the same for Out Run. It was the ultimate racing game back then and was a huge hit in the arcades, just hearing the tune to the game takes me back to many summer holidays here and abroad.

A lot of these classics you had to be around when the huge hype about the game was around and people were playing it all over the place. I mean to me Space Invaders is very boring but the second i load it up on MAME and hear the noises of the invaders moving or me firing, it just takes me back to holidays in Cornwall when i was 8 years old. Was a classic in its time.

I think people have to appreciate what some of the games were like when they first came out instead of when they played it for the first time on MAME a few months ago kinda thing. Its like an X-Box 360 kid turning up and slating all 8 bit games as they look crap.

But again for me Q-Bert i didnt like at the time and still dont now, very average game.

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:00 am

Rather differently. I never played Outrun back in the day (my parents thought Arcades were a waste of money!). But I love it and its easily my most played game on Mame. :)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:13 am

pforson wrote:Rather differently. I never played Outrun back in the day (my parents thought Arcades were a waste of money!). But I love it and its easily my most played game on Mame. :)
You're a great man.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:27 am

I am contemplating starting an RG Fight Club just so I can teach you Outrun haters a lesson. You will be telling me Bomb Jack is rubbish next.

I know people have differing opinions, but there has to be a point where opinion ends and truth starts.

Outrun is ace - FACT!

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:38 am

SirClive wrote:I am contemplating starting an RG Fight Club just so I can teach you Outrun haters a lesson. You will be telling me Bomb Jack is rubbish next.

I know people have differing opinions, but there has to be a point where opinion ends and truth starts.

Outrun is ace - FACT!
Bomb Jack now that is a good game

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:53 am

SirClive wrote:I am contemplating starting an RG Fight Club just so I can teach you Outrun haters a lesson. You will be telling me Bomb Jack is rubbish next.

Outrun is ace - FACT!
I'm up for smacking the outrun haters in a disused warehouse somewhere.

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:24 am

Mootown wrote:
pforson wrote:Rather differently. I never played Outrun back in the day (my parents thought Arcades were a waste of money!). But I love it and its easily my most played game on Mame. :)
You're a great man.
I know.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:29 am

Can't believe there is a backlash against Outrun! The conversions yes, but the arcade original :? I guess you just had to be there in 86'

For me Robotron - have played it with dual sticks & it was to hard & unfair so never bothered with it again.