Most Overrated Arcade Classic?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

Re: Most Overrated Arcade Classic?

Post by snowkatt » Tue May 17, 2011 7:08 am

yars revenge
i have no idea whats going on or what i am supposed to do
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:11 am

Gauntlet - just going round mazes slashing monsters. What's the point of a game that dull in one player? Yes, multiplayer's better but it's still not what I'd call "great".

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue May 17, 2011 11:53 am

Ridge Racer.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue May 17, 2011 12:03 pm

will2097 wrote:anyway, my great-great-great-great-great grandfathers father, was a Court Jester to the Court King Herod, so I take offense at the term 'Fool'. It's derogatory. I'll be contacting a mod in due course ;)
You only have to go back eight generations to the court of King Herod? How long to people live in your family?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue May 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Tepid Snake wrote:
Doddsy wrote:I just wonder how many forum members actually were there when these classic cabs came out and are not basing their opinions on just playing the emulated versions or experiencing the game now because they were too young to have the arcade experience in the early to mid 80's.

Space Harrier is a good game and what I remember fondly about it was the manic speed and large colourful Dragon sprites; they looked awesome at the time.
This is a fair point. Another example like Space Harrier is After Burner II, which people often knock for being too simple. Playing it in the arcades is a whole different matter- an incredible experience back when you could find them, and still enjoyable today for those who remember. I will readily admit, though, that I never played Xevious in the arcades (my personal choice for overrated arcade classic) and my first exposure to the game was the Namco Museum series. I tried to like it, but it just wasn't happening.
G-LOC is another one. I remember playing it on Skeggy pier, with the hydraulic cab that threw you around. Playing the home conversions and the MAME version reveals it to be a dull and uninvolving shooter outside the arcade, but that cab made literally all the difference in the world. And don't get me started on the R360!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue May 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Hmm, lots of choices - I will go with Streetfighter 2 I think

Its a good game but not nearly as amazing as people made it out to be, I will never forget how much C&VG were obsessed with this game. It actually really pissed me off as they just kept going on about the same censored over and over.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue May 17, 2011 4:17 pm

snowkatt wrote:yars revenge
It's not that complicated. Just shoot away the shield from the enemy quotile on the right, then fly over to it and fire a big bullet at it from the left to destroy it. Oh, and avoid the slow moving torpedo and the swirl that sometimes shoots out at you.

I wouldn't say it's one of the greatest games ever, but it quite respectable for 1981.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue May 17, 2011 6:01 pm

snowkatt wrote:yars revenge
Its very simple and it was never an arcade game either

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed May 18, 2011 4:55 am

Outrun for me.
It's just a driving game, and I've never been too fussed about the genre. I was totally unimpressed by it back in the day. Driving games in the arcade just never did anything for me. I find the overall fondness for Outrun's dreary soundtrack somewhat alarming. It's the sort of bland generic noise that's played in Waterstones bookshops these days.

And Tempest.
The game wasn't worth playing until Minter gave us Tempest 2000.

Zagrebo

Post by Zagrebo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:41 am

A couple of years ago a friend of mine who doesn't share my interest about crusty old videogames (few do) asked me what he doubtless thought was a tough question - "which would you say is better, Pac-Man or Space Invaders?". It's an easy one isn't it, surely? Pac-Man is the better of the two by a long shot; it's excellent, never gets boring and keeps you on your toes, it still plays as well as it ever did. Space Invaders, whilst quite good fun, only really gets exciting when there are only a few alien ships left and they're close to the ground. It was completely superseded by the likes of Galaxian which added far more features and gave the player much more reward for advancing.

Space Invaders is a bit overrated, that's what I'm trying to say.
http://mattyongames.wordpress.com/

Indie gaming and retrogaming blog by me