Most Overrated Arcade Classic?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Most Overrated Arcade Classic?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:23 pm

Nemesis wrote:Daytona & it's horrible cheesey rock music!
:cry:

You mean...you didn't like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWcqEcnNTtk

"ROOOOOOLLLLLING STAAAAAAAARRRRT!"

I love sitting in a Daytona USA cab and having all that music pumping out of the speakers 8)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

lostSUNDAY

Post by lostSUNDAY » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Space Harrier. Not a super bad game, but very overrated imo.
Play for Today My SEGA youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/lostSUND4Y

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:09 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote: Oh, just remembered as well, my most hated and despised arcade game of all time - Xevious! Ick.
Seconding this. It has not aged with grace, and that plinkety-plonk music was composed on the Devil's keyboard. How anyone can play it for more than 15 minutes- no, wait, more like 15 seconds- without completely losing their sanity is beyond me. (Hilariously, there's a Namco remix CD that has a trumpet version of the 'music' from Xevious. It's just as bad as it sounds.)
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Roo wrote:Mappy. If anyone calls that a "classic".
I'm with you on that one, its a game best left buried in the past.
:(
Mappy's a nice game...
Like Bonanza Bros. a bit, only with more trampolines.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:20 am

lostSUNDAY wrote:Space Harrier. Not a super bad game, but very overrated imo.
Yep. It's a definite case of cab and visuals first, gameplay second.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:36 am

I just wonder how many forum members actually were there when these classic cabs came out and are not basing their opinions on just playing the emulated versions or experiencing the game now because they were too young to have the arcade experience in the early to mid 80's.

Space Harrier is a good game and what I remember fondly about it was the manic speed and large colourful Dragon sprites; they looked awesome at the time.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:09 am

Doddsy wrote:I just wonder how many forum members actually were there when these classic cabs came out and are not basing their opinions on just playing the emulated versions or experiencing the game now because they were too young to have the arcade experience in the early to mid 80's.

Space Harrier is a good game and what I remember fondly about it was the manic speed and large colourful Dragon sprites; they looked awesome at the time.
This is a fair point. Another example like Space Harrier is After Burner II, which people often knock for being too simple. Playing it in the arcades is a whole different matter- an incredible experience back when you could find them, and still enjoyable today for those who remember. I will readily admit, though, that I never played Xevious in the arcades (my personal choice for overrated arcade classic) and my first exposure to the game was the Namco Museum series. I tried to like it, but it just wasn't happening.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:12 am

Doddsy wrote:I just wonder how many forum members actually were there when these classic cabs came out and are not basing their opinions on just playing the emulated versions or experiencing the game now because they were too young to have the arcade experience in the early to mid 80's.
Just wondering whether you'd class this as a bad thing? Though I was alive during the 90's, I didn't really get into the arcades for one reason or another so I've been experiencing games such as Daytona for the first time over the past few years or so. I think it's more accurate for someone like me to say that an older game is fun since I wouldn't be in danger of having rose-tinted vision. I may be wrong of course but that's how I see it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:05 am

Oh, I certainly had a go in the Space Harrier cab at the time and it was a fantastic experience. However, even then I didn't really think of it as being that much of a game though; it felt more akin to some kind of virtual fairground ride. I'd have to say that the home computer ports, despite faithfully retaining the gameplay in some cases, really did nothing for me at all.

That's in contrast to things like Hang On, which as well as having a great cab, was also a passable arcade racer in its own right.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:22 am

Megamixer wrote:
Just wondering whether you'd class this as a bad thing? Though I was alive during the 90's, I didn't really get into the arcades for one reason or another so I've been experiencing games such as Daytona for the first time over the past few years or so. I think it's more accurate for someone like me to say that an older game is fun since I wouldn't be in danger of having rose-tinted vision. I may be wrong of course but that's how I see it.

The underlining opinion that I'm making is that Arcades and Arcade machines for most gamers during the 70's, 80's and to some extend the early 90's most were far superior to what gaming had to offer at the time both in terms of graphics/sound/hydraulics. So I guess older gamers do have rose-tinted glasses for certain games, due to their high cost for most teenage gamers, they could only be experienced in limited doses such as on Holiday, visit to Fairgrounds, maybe the local Chippy if you had the coin, so they retain alot of memories for retrogamers as the arcade experience was a unique event. In summary, even if the game wasn't so great and it was available at your holidaying Caravan park in 1985 that is what you will always remember fondly about it.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:06 pm

Nemesis wrote:Daytona & it's horrible cheesey rock music!
oh yes

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:29 pm

Daytona is pure class. The music is just fun! It's not to be taken serious, and I love it! *blue blue skies I see!* What's not to like? :D

The gameplay is also incredible. It still plays as good today as it did then (unlike *cough* Ridge Racer with it's 1 boring track), it's the first game I play if I walk into an arcade and see a Daytona cab.

Daytona 2 is also an excellent game, I was lucky enough to be able to play this as a local arcade has it (and still does as far as I'm aware).

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:15 pm

C=Style wrote:Daytona is pure class. The music is just fun! It's not to be taken serious, and I love it! *blue blue skies I see!* What's not to like? :D

The gameplay is also incredible. It still plays as good today as it did then (unlike *cough* Ridge Racer with it's 1 boring track), it's the first game I play if I walk into an arcade and see a Daytona cab.

Daytona 2 is also an excellent game, I was lucky enough to be able to play this as a local arcade has it (and still does as far as I'm aware).
Mumble. Mumble. Bicker. Bicker. No you are wrong.

Daytona is gash. Looks ace. Is a technical marvel. Plays like chicken puke. Sounds like it's trapped in a Top Gun themed elevator. Ergo, it's a Bag 'o Sh1te.

At least in Ridge Racer, with it's one track, gfurr-gfurrr, the focus is on turning corners. A feature mysteriously absent from Daytona as recall. Or rather, Dayton-under-steer-a as I prefer to call it.

Daytona is only loved by the bleary eyed Sega fan boys. It's good in multiplayer, when 8 people team up to not turn corners, and it's aces in attract mode, but aside from that, it's basically unplayable. It's a good technical demo mind.

Britnostalgic

Post by Britnostalgic » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:23 pm

will2097 wrote:
Daytona is only loved by the bleary eyed Sega fan boys. It's good in multiplayer, when 8 people team up to not turn corners, and it's aces in attract mode, but aside from that, it's basically unplayable. It's a good technical demo mind.
Biggest load of trash I've ever heard... basically your crap at it, so your thinking is it must be wank... it's not the games fault your gaming skills are on par with those of a badly curled poo. Great arcade game, with bloody good controls.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:27 pm

Britnostalgic wrote:
will2097 wrote:
Biggest load of trash I've ever heard... basically your crap at it, so your thinking is it must be wank... it's not the games fault your gaming skills are on par with those of a badly curled poo. Great arcade game, with bloody good controls.
Sure ;)