Most Overrated Arcade Classic?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

me316

Post by me316 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:43 pm

Pong was very overrated just compare it to a x-box 360 game very poor, even a spectrum game could beat it.

No but seriously I found Street fighter 2 very overrated at the time I slowly got into it when all the hype died down. 8)
Games Graveyard rules!!!!
http://gamesgraveyard.podomatic.com

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:54 pm

I'm pretty surprised by the amount of overrated votes for Streetfighter II. I just assumed that as retro gamers we all shared the same experience when it was released in the arcades and on SNES. Is it because some of you don't know the moves, never applied effort into learning them, had no mates to play it with or just generally suck at the game?

PSXPlayer

Post by PSXPlayer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:07 pm

Lots of things on the internet are over-rated. That in real life doesn't make any proper sense. Great lumps of the Sega back catelogue is a good example.

me316

Post by me316 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:16 pm

C=Style wrote:I'm pretty surprised by the amount of overrated votes for Streetfighter II. I just assumed that as retro gamers we all shared the same experience when it was released in the arcades and on SNES. Is it because some of you don't know the moves, never applied effort into learning them, had no mates to play it with or just generally suck at the game?
I am really good at the Street fighter series of games, if you read the post correctly you would know that I said when it was initially released in the arcades the hype turned me off and honestly I wasn't that impressed, now on the other hand I place it as one of my favourites.

I also prefer the Megadrive to Snes version. 8)
Games Graveyard rules!!!!
http://gamesgraveyard.podomatic.com

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:19 pm

me316 wrote:
C=Style wrote:I'm pretty surprised by the amount of overrated votes for Streetfighter II. I just assumed that as retro gamers we all shared the same experience when it was released in the arcades and on SNES. Is it because some of you don't know the moves, never applied effort into learning them, had no mates to play it with or just generally suck at the game?
I am really good at the Street fighter series of games, if you read the post correctly you would know that I said when it was initially released in the arcades the hype turned me off and honestly I wasn't that impressed, now on the other hand I place it as one of my favourites.

I also prefer the Megadrive to Snes version. 8)

i too like SF II, but i do find it's really over-rated. It's only a bog standard OneVOne fighting game, nothing more, nothing less. Now, If it had naked ladies and lager that flows from the telly, THAT would be impressive. :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:44 pm

I couldn't and didn't get into SFII at all until the home conversions. Moves that I just couldn't pull off with the sticks were an absolute breeze in comparison on a six button Sega MD pad.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:22 pm

Q*Bert for mine. Just has to be. It was just so goddamn boring :lol:

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:27 am

I don't get it either. Playing Street Fighter 2 for the first time was a revelation to me....it completely blew every other 2D fighter out of the water. I never found it hard to learn moves either, the basics and blocking are simplicity itself, learned in a matter of seconds, and the majority of the special moves are designed to be really easy and responsive to perform, and easy to remember too, as they fall into a catogory of either being a quarter/semi circular movement followed by a button press, holding either 'back' or 'down' for 2 seconds then quickly tapping the opposite direction and a button, or even just hammering a button rapidly. Only Ken/Ryu's Dragon Punches and Zangief's Spinning Piledriver take a bit of time to master. But no-one picks Zangief anyway ;)

Seriously though, fantastic game...that's my opinion and that's even with me only having the CPU to play against most of the time.

Then again, I'm the person who doesn't think much of Robotron ;)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:48 am

Yeah SF for me was a pretty cool game; and like genuine classics IMO still stands up well for fun factor. But then, so does Robotron for me! If I could have one original machine personally it would be Robotron, with the original two joystick setup.
So obviously it's completely subjective and opinion in regards to whats considered 'overrated'...many classics like Galaga/Pac man/Space Invaders etc could be considered overrated in the way you hear so much about them. For me these games are true classics, the reason I got such a passion for games in the first place, the reason so many copycats games emerged...and can't be rated highly enough.
Same with Pong, a very basic game but what was needed at the time to get the masses less intimidated and into games, with Space Wars scaring many off! Once hooked though thanks to Pong, then the likes of Asteroids came back and the public was ready! :)

I would say Q*Bert for me as it was considered a Classic at the time, yet the gameplay was boring IMO. It was like the game was invented simply to have a character to licence for lunch boxes etc. That's why I really don't like the game, yet many will disagree. The likes of Mappy, Make Trax, Pleaides and so on...the copycat generation which followed the 'true' classics could be described as overrated as well-But it's all in the way you care to define overrated personally. If you're talking personal opinion of course, any popular game you don't like would be overrated.

And I still prefer Gyruss to Galaga for some reason, and that alone should have me shot! :lol:

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:00 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
CrookedMouth wrote:
ivortheinjun wrote:
Missile Command
Galaga
Crystal Castles
Pac-Man, Ms Pac-Man
For me it's shocking that any of those would be on a"most overrated" list. not just specifically Galaga.
Even 720? That was never a particularly good game. Only thing that ever brings a smile to my face while playing it is the 'Skate or DIE!' soundbite, then watching the skateboarder be murdered by killer bees :lol: The actual game itself is a bit crap.
Did you play it enough to get good, on real hardware?

It's a fun game with the added equipment it changes and also becomes very hard. I wouldn't call it crap, better then Paperboy.

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:16 pm

CrookedMouth wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:
CrookedMouth wrote: For me it's shocking that any of those would be on a"most overrated" list. not just specifically Galaga.
Even 720? That was never a particularly good game. Only thing that ever brings a smile to my face while playing it is the 'Skate or DIE!' soundbite, then watching the skateboarder be murdered by killer bees :lol: The actual game itself is a bit crap.
Did you play it enough to get good, on real hardware?

It's a fun game with the added equipment it changes and also becomes very hard. I wouldn't call it crap, better then Paperboy.
Was massively hyped at the time, but never did anything for me.

When you're talking about arcade games, if it hasn't grabbed you after you've pumped a few quid in, there's little incentive to persevere. I gave it a chance, but I simply didn't like it.

Devious

Post by Devious » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:59 am

Let's all agree never to have this topic as a face-to-face discussion. I fear it would turn into a free-for-all. I've got enough medical bills already.

Andykiwi

Re: Most Overrated Arcade Classic?

Post by Andykiwi » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:11 pm

I was an expert on Q*Bert and Frogger and still like them. No offense taken if you don't though. :)

My vote goes to Joust - the hardest and most frustrating game next to Defender (which at least had the coolest sound ever in a video game)!

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:49 am

I've only just clocked this thread....why is SF2 on here so much? I must have missed a meeting.

For me it's Ridge Racer.....but then other than Outrun, I'm no fan of driving games

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:47 am

Asteroids.....just too fiddly!

I could never get on with the thrusty floatyness of at all - too much inertia bashing me into rocks & that bastard UFO, and I've never been a fan of vector graphics!

Loved all the arena-based shooters that followed it though Robotron, Smash TV, Total Carnage & PSP Super Stardust, which is perhaps one of the greatest games of all time - but the granddaddy, no thanks!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue