Most Overrated Arcade Classic?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:13 pm

STranger81 wrote:Space Harrier. Terrible game.
Why?!?!?!?

Sorry,don't mean to invite argument, but at the time it was a revolution in the arcades - even discounting the great full-motion cab, just the whole look and feel of the thing was AMAZING...interestingly this is one of the handful of arcade games I played extensively (it was in the leisure centre 100yds from my house as a teen) and , a bit like OutRun, a close relative, it is ALL about memorising attack patterns.
To me , not liking Space Harrier, you must not like the shooter genre as it is a fine example of such a game. As opposed to say, Double Dragon or Renegade which is a poor example of a fighter - I can easily understand even fighter fans disliking these games. To me, with Space Harrier, Sega simply said to themselves "Lets make a frantic, gorgeous looking and sounding shoot-em-up.". And so they did.

Discuss.
:D

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:45 am

I was never a fan of the game but that hydraulic cab blew me away!

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:37 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
SirClive wrote:
mikeb wrote: Not sure that anyone who's played both games would ever proclaim the original to be better. If Outrun was still revered for its gameplay over its historic significance I'd be surprised.
What a strange comparison. It's like saying FIFA 95 is rubbish because FIFA 09 does it better.
Outrun (in the sit down deluxe cab) is still my favourite driving game and I would choose it above SP every time.
but FIFA 95 IS rubbish in comparison to FIFA 09 - isnt it? :?
FIFA 95 was always rubbish, when we had actuall playable game like SWOS.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:05 am

Space Harrier ruled! whats not to like? Everything about that game says pure Sega.

I agree with comments on Pac Man, never ever saw the appeal even back in the 2600 days, always preferred Defender (totally different games I know) but to me it has no playability and is quite possibly the most boring game ever made.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:01 am

C=Style wrote:Space Harrier has no playability and is quite possibly the most boring game ever made.
Fixed that for you in order to set my stall out firmly in the "Space Harrier Overrated" camp.

Although it's not as overrated as Paperboy. It's a close second though. Very close.

With Outrun taking the bronze.

:wink:

And anybody who doesn't like Defender or Robotron is a mutant. We must burn them.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:06 am

PacMan rocks.... simple as that.

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:05 am

DonkeySpank wrote:PacMan rocks.... simple as that.
Nope. He eats. Rockman Rocks :)
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:09 am

I think you'll find this photo proves that pacman (well... MS.Pacman) does indeed ROCK....

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:20 am

This entire thread is full of deranged lunatics...

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:01 am

to be topical , Gauntlet - hated that game , still do when trying it recently.

Also Defender,TMNT & Double Dragon are on the list.

pforson

Post by pforson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:13 am

DonkeySpank wrote:I think you'll find this photo proves that pacman (well... MS.Pacman) does indeed ROCK....

Although, as the lower picture clearly shows. Pacman eats...
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:43 am

LOL! :D
Thasss ma' boy!! :)

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:50 am

Commander Jameson wrote:
STranger81 wrote:Space Harrier. Terrible game.
Why?!?!?!?

Sorry,don't mean to invite argument, but at the time it was a revolution in the arcades - even discounting the great full-motion cab, just the whole look and feel of the thing was AMAZING...interestingly this is one of the handful of arcade games I played extensively (it was in the leisure centre 100yds from my house as a teen) and , a bit like OutRun, a close relative, it is ALL about memorising attack patterns.
To me , not liking Space Harrier, you must not like the shooter genre as it is a fine example of such a game. As opposed to say, Double Dragon or Renegade which is a poor example of a fighter - I can easily understand even fighter fans disliking these games. To me, with Space Harrier, Sega simply said to themselves "Lets make a frantic, gorgeous looking and sounding shoot-em-up.". And so they did.

Discuss.
:D
I just didnt like it. They had it our arcade and yes, the cab was very clever but the game itself was pants. I hate the damn thing. And I gave it another go when I found it in the arcade on Shenmue, and same again. I love Sega, especially from that era, but it just grates on me. Outrun is a fantastic game, and After Burner is ok, but Space Harrier is just crap. Many dont agree with me but then again a lot of people would hate my favourite arcade games, so different strokes for different folks i guess.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:47 pm

Fair enough - you didn't like it....but it isn't, as you said, a terrible game. it's a good game you didn't like. :D

What IS your favourite? Something a bit out in leftfield, a bit contreversial?

Devious

Post by Devious » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:20 am

Mootown wrote:This entire thread is full of deranged lunatics...
I agree, complete nut cases.