Most Overrated Arcade Classic?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:32 am

mikeb wrote:
STranger81 wrote:For me Double Dragon is one where the nostalgic value is more important than the game itself... for me its a classic. Perhaps for the wrong reasons but still a classic.
Sure, I can respect that. I was a bit of a Golden Axe fan myself back in the day, but can understand why some found it a bit dull - still it's 'classic'enough to me to make me splash out over a hundred quid for the Golden Axe I/II arcade boards :)
I was a big Golden Axe fan too, back in the day.
psj3809 wrote:
STranger81 wrote:For me Double Dragon is one where the nostalgic value is more important than the game itself. I still fire it up on MAME and get an instant old school rush, and im reminded of the arcade in Spain when I first saw this back in 1988, with the smell of cherry coke and fags hanging in the air. The game itself isnt what you would call amazing but for me its a classic. Perhaps for the wrong reasons but still a classic.
Yep same here, like i say many of the games have a huge nostalgic feeling to them and even though they might look dated now, in their time they were true pioneering games. Its like Super Sprint, when that came out it was huge but i can imagine some people firing it up in MAME and not really giving it a proper go and not enjoying it
Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Double Dragon. I just thing it's aged quite badly. I still fire it up in MAME for a blast every now and again, and I too still get the 'warm and fuzzy' feeling when I play Double Dragon, just it's not as strong as when I played it first time round in '88/'89

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:33 am

Outrun is still a good game now and the design of it is still good now also.

I can play Outrun (must be with analogue wheel - anything else isn't the same) now and the car responds perfectly (remember the analogue wheel kids) I can slide out wide on corners, take the 3 way corner on stage one with hardly a drop in speed and enjoy the feeling of speeding between cars immensly.

Anyone playing it with a digital pad or on a 50hz home version or whatever isn't playing proper Outrun in my books.

And while Outrun 2 is awesome, granted, what the heck is going on with the stage transfers - boring concrete tunnels. Why is stage 5 shorter and easier than all the other stages? Why is the frame rate dropping in the same places everytime? And the bouncing off the sides stuff is silly. I preferred the original - touch something and crash.

I honestly prefer Outrun over Outrun 2 and that's TODAY. Not in 1986. But I still like Outrun 2 as much as anyone. Outrun is one of my fave games of all time and that will never change - a good game then is still a good game now, that's the point of all this right? It's not a crap game/design as being claimed by some Outrun haters. The design is ace, the look is iconic and the music is sublime. WTF - do you guys not have eyes and hands?

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:45 am

Matt_B wrote:
Tabe wrote:
Matt_B wrote:Dragon's Lair - Quite a nifty technical achievement, and some good animation in parts too, but completely lacking when it comes to gameplay.
How many people praise Dragon's Lair as a game though? Everybody says the same things you just did - so how can it be overrated?

Tabe
I suppose it's not so much overrated as wrongly categorized. It's not a game, more a weakly interactive movie.
I am huge Dragon's Lair fan.
In my opinion it has the same gameplay appeal as a memory puzzle game, like all those old MB Simon's derivatives everybody is crazy about lately: take for example the Wario Ware series.
There's also recent DS game of which I can't recall the name, which is all only about tapping the touch-screen rithmically at the right time, while funny things happen on the other side.
I like Dragon's Lair even more, for the astounding visuals and sounds, that really make the atmosphere. It is true anyway that, as I was saying in another post, to me involvement can make the difference over gameplay issues.
Oh, and I like also Space Ace and Dragon's Lair II.
A friend of mine and me travelled to another town with a videotape recorder and a pouch of coins only to play DL II to the end and have a proof.
Ah! What good times....

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:56 am

woody.cool wrote: I've always thought that the characters in Double Dragon look like girls.
....and Ken doesn't? :)

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:58 am

C=Style wrote:
woody.cool wrote: I've always thought that the characters in Double Dragon look like girls.
Only in the Super versions.
In the original versions of SF2, he looks quite manly.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:35 am

C=Style wrote:
Well, at least you didn't suggest that Chun Li could pass for a girl. :wink:

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:38 am

paranoid marvin wrote:I don't WANT to slow down for corners , and I don't EXPECT to have to remember the layout of all of the tracks ; in fact I DEMAND not to .It's not a simulation , it's a seat-of-the-pants exhiliarting experience that I'm after. I want to powerslide round those bends , and be able to cope witth what's coming up ahead without having meticulously memorised it. If I want to slow down , I'll play a sim and if I want a memory test I'll play Dragons Lair
You don't have to meticulously memorise every corner in order to adjust your speed accordingly. If you find you're oversteering towards the outer edge of the bend, you can always slow down a little. Sure, it helps to memorise it, and maybe next time you'll happen to remember a particularly sharp bend that caught you out, but it's not as if memorisation is vital to enjoying the game.

Frankly the idea of strongly objecting to ever having to modify your speed for a bend in a racing game (yes, even an arcade one) seems plain weird to me, but I guess I should be happy that it lends support to my theory about Outrun haters. :P

thl

Post by thl » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:50 am

ShadowMan wrote:For me it would be Double Dragon. I never got to play it when it was first released (I started with Final Fight) and can never get into the game, the combat feels slow and clumsy. Granted thats just my opinion and I am sure many will disagree with me on that!
Probably have to say Ninja Gaiden (as a scrolling beat em' up). The control system felt a bit strange that I kept jumping around too much and unable to reach the platforms. The fight with enemies can be a bit scrappy as you have limited range of combos. Also the life bar doesn't seem to last long.

chewy

Post by chewy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:53 am

NARC. Horrible game IMO....

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:23 am

chewy wrote:NARC. Horrible game IMO....
My brother and I were playing this two player on Midway Arcade Classics 2 a while back. We used to both play it in the arcades and love it, and he was sitting there going 'actually this is rubbish' while I was grinning from ear to ear, chucking the rocket launcher at drug dealers and watching their limbs explode all over the screen :)

Actually you should have seen us trying to get into the Porsche 911 without the idiot accidentally blowing it up every time it appeared, but that's another story...

chewy

Post by chewy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:32 am

One of my friends thinks I'm an idiot for not liking this game. I just don't see the appeal myself.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:12 am

Emperor Fossil wrote:You don't have to meticulously memorise every corner in order to adjust your speed accordingly. If you find you're oversteering towards the outer edge of the bend, you can always slow down a little. Sure, it helps to memorise it, and maybe next time you'll happen to remember a particularly sharp bend that caught you out, but it's not as if memorisation is vital to enjoying the game.
I agree... complaining about having to memorise the route is silly. Memorising anything in an arcade game will help, be it attack patterns in shooters, corners in a racer, where and how enemies spawn in a scrolling beater so you can limit the number that attack at a time, and so on. A combination of skill and memory... especially when it comes to Outrun as the traffic patterns aren't always quite the same, I think it depends on how long you've taken so far at each point...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:45 am

chewy wrote:NARC. Horrible game IMO....
I nearly said that too but then I realsied that you don't really hear people ranting about how good the game is, then i remembered how mindless it is and gave it a spin on MAME. It made me laugh and was good fun for a quick blast, but nothing more than that - maybe the sign of a good arcade game?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:18 pm

Pacman
It bores the smeg outa me.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:39 pm

Mootown wrote:
I can play Outrun (must be with analogue wheel - anything else isn't the same)

Anyone playing it with a digital pad or on a 50hz home version or whatever isn't playing proper Outrun in my books.
Works just as well with an optical wheel in Mame if you set it up right. Or with a mouse if you're playing it the pikey way on a desktop PC. :P
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.