Your Biggest Waste of Money - Ever!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:40 pm

fredghostmaster wrote:Super Soccer by Imagine on the Spectrum. I was so gutted I wasted my pocket money on that. It was shockingly bad.
Great shout. I was expecting tons from that and it was dire, gutted

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:42 pm

psj3809 wrote:I think the Wii is a very very clever idea and can be a lot of fun but since getting one for my birthday a few months ago i've hardly used it, at first it was cool but just not into it.

The Wii fit i think is very clever but its still quite basic regarding the programs. ANd before you say it no i dont use it, my wife loves the Wii fit though
You still play Wii Sports? I still play it after a year and I'm finally over 1900 on Wii Tennis, are the games individually ace? Maybe not, but the experience of smacking a tennis ball, baseball etc... is still ace. I would love to see Wii Sports 2 with the new extra sensitive motion controller thing.

plumduff

Post by plumduff » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:35 pm

for me it would have to be that eye toy thing for the ps2. The one time I actually played it I spent ages trying to get the lighting just right so it would work.

Expensive inaccurate rubbish, which I still have if anyone wants to make me an offer!

MC1

Post by MC1 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:50 pm

Sonic 2 on the Mdrive, off some gadgie on ebay.

paid 35 quid for it, and p + p was really expensive too.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:07 am

You should have called this thread Blasphemy!
:)
Scott me up beamie!

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:54 am

felgekarp wrote:Mario Kart on the Wii, that's next on the trade in list.
Let us know how much you get, as its top of my list too :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:57 am

sscott wrote:You still play Wii Sports? I still play it after a year and I'm finally over 1900 on Wii Tennis, are the games individually ace? Maybe not, but the experience of smacking a tennis ball, baseball etc... is still ace. I would love to see Wii Sports 2 with the new extra sensitive motion controller thing.
Not that much, the humiliation of losing to the missus on boxing didnt help ;)

Its obviously very innovative but after a while i found the sports games a bit dull. A sequel could be very good though with some new sports etc

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:58 am

MC1 wrote:Sonic 2 on the Mdrive, off some gadgie on ebay.

paid 35 quid for it, and p + p was really expensive too.
:D

EvilArmourKing has two copies of this! That's a retirement nest-egg if I ever saw one!

Coop

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:03 am

Being realistic now and not just using this thread as another opportunity to censored off games that I bought (as that is a bit shortsighted - surely the biggest waste of money ever is more than a £20 to £40 game), I would probably say my PS3. £350 for the 60gb model and in nearly a year I have probably used it for less than 20 hours. I do hope it turns out to be a really good investment and I am far from writing it off as a bad purchase, but I have spent as much time polishing it as playing on it and there is no way I would have deliberately spent £350 on an ornament.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:49 am

Jericho LTD Edition - £10, still too much to pay for this pap

Mario Kart 64 - I was looking forward to this so much, I bought it on the day of release and was so disappointed

The original shape PSP was also a bit of a waste of money for me because I hardly play on it and I don't really rate most of the games on the system.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:13 am

GBA - original shape, preordered for release day. The only place I ever found where the screen display was acceptable was at my desk at work and once the office had another shift-around I lost that! A complete waste of money.

It sat and sulked on the bookshelf for about twelve months then got traded in for a PS2, the only piece of hardware I've ever done that to. A couple of years ago I picked up a second-hand GBA SP from Cex for £35 and the difference between the two is like night and day.

Coop

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:17 am

Coopdevil wrote:GBA - original shape, preordered for release day. The only place I ever found where the screen display was acceptable was at my desk at work and once the office had another shift-around I lost that! A complete waste of money.

It sat and sulked on the bookshelf for about twelve months then got traded in for a PS2, the only piece of hardware I've ever done that to. A couple of years ago I picked up a second-hand GBA SP from Cex for £35 and the difference between the two is like night and day.

Coop
You're right, I like the shape of the original GBA as it's great for gaming but the SP is the ultimate incarnation of the Gameboy brand.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:22 am

Nah, the micro is the ultimate.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:41 am

The micro might have the best screen but doesn't play GB/GBC games hence of no interest to me.

I much prefer the clamshell approach as well, my SP case is heavily scratched and sun-bleached from being lugged around Goa where the red dust gets everywhere but the screen is pristine, not something I think a micro or the original GBA would have survived.

Coop

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:45 am

SirClive wrote:Nah, the micro is the ultimate.
Nice and portable but the screen is a little too small for those RPGs and no original GB/colour compatibility unfortunately. That's why i think the SP is the best incarnation.