All Too Much!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Coopdevil

All Too Much!

Post by Coopdevil » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:44 am

Your moments when you've realised you really should put the controller down or give a particular game to a friend/eBay/the bin?

For me there are three biggies

-Waiting for friends to arrive at a bowling alley in Wolverhampton, playing coin-op Crazy Taxi and realising I'd just put £18(!) in the machine and that had been my budget for the evening. Next stop cash machine, next day down GAME to buy a DC.

-Always having 10 or 15 minutes in a morning before needing to leave for work, booting up Volfied on the ST then getting to the point where I was thinking "I can have one more game now if I just drive to work a bit faster". :shock:

-Starting a game of Sid Meier's Pirates on the XBox late on a Sunday morning, and then suddenly realising it is now 7:30 at night. Banned myself from playing this now!

Coop

gmintyfresh

Re: All Too Much!

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:50 am

Coopdevil wrote:Your moments when you've realised you really should put the controller down or give a particular game to a friend/eBay/the bin?

For me there are three biggies

-Waiting for friends to arrive at a bowling alley in Wolverhampton, playing coin-op Crazy Taxi and realising I'd just put £18(!) in the machine and that had been my budget for the evening. Next stop cash machine, next day down GAME to buy a DC.

-Always having 10 or 15 minutes in a morning before needing to leave for work, booting up Volfied on the ST then getting to the point where I was thinking "I can have one more game now if I just drive to work a bit faster". :shock:

-Starting a game of Sid Meier's Pirates on the XBox late on a Sunday morning, and then suddenly realising it is now 7:30 at night. Banned myself from playing this now!

Coop
Playing BF bad company online on a work night. I've seriously been up till 4:00 in the morning after getting sucked into "just one more battle".

FF Tactics Advance used to do the same thing...

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:57 am

Playing "one more song" on Guitar Hero 3 last night until realising it's 3am and I'm absolutely exhausted with wonky vision from staring at notes coming toward me on the screen...
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

chewy

Post by chewy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:07 am

Completing Resi 4 for the first time, then the second... third, fourth fifth sixth seventh.... I played it NON STOP save eating and sleeping for a two week period I was off work last year. Awesome.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:19 am

flying_delorean81 wrote:Playing "one more song" on Guitar Hero 3 last night until realising it's 3am and I'm absolutely exhausted with wonky vision from staring at notes coming toward me on the screen...
I've done that one before, playing both GH2 and 3 trying to get 5 stars on all songs on medium. I had to stop in the end as my neck was killing me and 1 finger had gone numb!
Pretty much every Fighter under the sun from SF2 to Tekken 5 DR, always just 1 more round... which often leads me to playing the games all night!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:32 am

Playing Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast pretty much every night till stupid hours in the morning. racking up 2 £400+ BT phone bills by playing it, clocking over 700+ hours playtime overall and not regretting a single moment of it. The best online experience I will ever have. :D

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:44 am

It's usually RPG's I get sucked into long sessions on, like Shining Wisdom on the Saturn, but I have more than once spent 12+ hours playing Star Fighter on the 3DO. :shock: I have an obssessive habit with that game where I have to do absolutely everything it's possible to do on each level, whether relevant to the mission or not.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:47 am

Disgaea DS -
I know its new (for the DS)
But its takein over my life AGAIN (like the ones on PS2)

Only got it Tuesday and im already at 20+ hours

They was also that time with Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar
None stop play due to the need for a high score

And Phantasy star online (even thow I never played it online)
Allday/night play sessions

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:17 am

In 2006 I was out of work for 5 weeks, and on my last day at work Counter Strike Source arrived.

Towards the end of the 5 weeks I went on this stats thing on the server i'd been playing on solid. And I saw that i'd been on for the equivelent of 6 whole days days in a 5 week period. That was quite a shock.

Plus im glad ive finished GTA4 because I was staying up to play through the story and was surviving on 2 hours sleep a night for a few weeks.

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:12 pm

Gotta be Football Manager for me - when I get bitten by that bug I play for hours and hours and my sleep usually suffers consequently - damn game!
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions | CLICK HERE

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:40 am

Snap Overheat,

One More Game syndrome.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:34 pm

I think it was PES 5 for me. I had this when I was back on shift, and would wake up at 0800 and play pretty much solid till 1630 when my wife would come home!

Man how I miss having days off in the week!

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:20 pm

Coopdevil wrote:Waiting for friends to arrive at a bowling alley in Wolverhampton
aha another tatter on the forum, whereabouts you from? :D

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:11 pm

Another one for me has to be FIFA 07 - got hooked on that too - another great one for the aforementioned "one more game" syndrome! :)
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions | CLICK HERE

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:33 pm

SexyWayne wrote:
Coopdevil wrote:Waiting for friends to arrive at a bowling alley in Wolverhampton
aha another tatter on the forum, whereabouts you from? :D
Gornal, but I'm not a tatter I'm what you poor benighted Wulfrunians would call a Tesco!

Coop