DOSBOX games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:48 pm

Did anyone ever manage to get TIE Fighter to work in DOSBox? Man, I love that game... can't see it ever appearing on GOG either. :(
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:01 pm

The other way you can experience old games in a new way is to look for fan-created mods. I was playing WinROTT yesterday for example, which makes Rise of the Triad playable in Windows and adds features such as mouselook and regular strafing. There's also a GL version which I would have been bothered to try if I'd set up a GL wrapper.

There are also similar mods for Quake (ezQuake) and Doom (Legacy).

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Dudley wrote:Actually no it isn't, several of those were released by the publishers for distribution from their own site only. The Codemasters ones for a start.

From the licence agreement they even supply.

YOU SHALL NOT:

* Copy the Program.
* Sell, rent, lease, license, distribute or otherwise transfer or make
available to any other person the Program

And yet they're doing both of those things.
They haven't copied the program or broken the agreement. The download link goes directly to the Codemasters site.
Oops!
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Madge

Post by Madge » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:01 pm

I found TIE Fighter and X-Wing (the Windows 95 versions from the Collectors' Edition) will run quite happily on XP so long as you set them to run in compatibility mode for Windows 95. Both are totally playable unless you turn on the 3D hardware option, which crashes.

@ Sureshot: have you tried The Doomsday Engine?
It lets you play the Doom (and Heretic) games with downloadable updates like 3D enemies, enhanced lighting and more. I like it, but understand why others prefer a more "authentic" experience.
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Stickhead, Tiefighter was released as Windows friendly a while back on CD-ROM, with Xwing as well. Check out Play.com and Amazon to see if you can still get it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:32 am

I use DOSbox to run my old Roguelikes, Pagan U8 only seems to work from DOSbox aswell. I've got soo many old games that won't work in XP (I'm not even thinking about vista!) DOSbox has saved my Retro PC life.
Scott me up beamie!

Madge

Post by Madge » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:22 am

Why use DosBox for roguelikes when you can just get more recent versions from sites like angband.oook.cz? Are you talking about really obscure stuff?
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:05 pm

I've always just sort of collected them, on every system. Got one on my gameboy and one on my phone! (called Dweller,hunt it down). I just dont want to lose any to time or not be able to play then anymore.
I think frontier only works from DOSbox asswell, from the cd that is.
Scott me up beamie!

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:09 am

Madge wrote:I found TIE Fighter and X-Wing (the Windows 95 versions from the Collectors' Edition) will run quite happily on XP so long as you set them to run in compatibility mode for Windows 95. Both are totally playable unless you turn on the 3D hardware option, which crashes.

@ Sureshot: have you tried The Doomsday Engine?
It lets you play the Doom (and Heretic) games with downloadable updates like 3D enemies, enhanced lighting and more. I like it, but understand why others prefer a more "authentic" experience.
Excellent link. Thanks Sureshot. Been playing Doom2 on this all morning. Recommended.