F-Zero vs. Wipeout

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Which is your favourite series?

F-Zero
60%
Wipeout
40%

Total votes: 52

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:44 am

C=Style wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:For all the reasons already mentioned (and I agree with them), the F-Zero games are much better than the WipEout games IMO. Opinion is split on F-Zero GX, but personally, I've yet to play a better pure racing game.

On saying that though, I was never a fan of WipEout anyway, I much preferred Rollcage. :D
Ah Rollcage, now you're talking! In particular Stage II which was fantastic and made WipEout appear to crawl along at a snails pace in comparison. Loved it and it's twicthy controls. Great soundtrack too. Woul love to see a new game in teh series soon.

I'm sorry Smurph but F-Zero X.GX is so much faster than WipEout and it's phantom class, so it's not utter bollocks, it's way faster. There's no racer that can match F-Zero for speed.
HEAVYface wrote:
also i hate the po-faced club aesthetic of wipeout. its incredibly sterile and dull.

f-zero however is very cheesy......
Cheese > po-faced & I'm too cool for cucumbers. :D
didn't say i don't like the cheese - because i do. i just realise it is cheesy :)

Kaptain_Von

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:58 am

Emperor Fossil wrote:Has anyone here played the update to Powerdrome that appeared on xbox, ps2, and PC?
Yes and it's not that bad. It reminded me of Star Wars Episode 1 Racer on the N64. Some people slated it when it was released but it is actually quite a playable game once you get into it.

Back to the original topic I definitely think I would come down on the side of Wipeout as my favourite of the two series. That is not to say that the F-Zero games are not good as they are and I own them all.

From a personal point of view I also like the Extreme G series of games as well and probably rate them slightly above F-Zero as well (but like I said, that's a personal point of view). In terms of how I would rate my favourite futuristic racers it would probably be:

1) Wipeout series.
2) Extreme G series.
3) F-Zero series.
4) Star Wars Ep.1 Racer and Racer Revenge.
5) Quantum Redshift
6) Powerdrome.
7) Rollcage series.
8) S.C.A.R.S
9) Slipstream 5000.
10) Killer Loop (yes I was the one person that liked it :) ).
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

thl

Post by thl » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:04 am

RetroRik wrote:http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wOXH-LYoDwk

F-Zero through the years... ^^
Here's another one: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cMt9afVJ5EI

The BGM for this stage is probably my favourite.

chewy

Post by chewy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:34 am

F-Zero. LOVED the F-Zero on N64.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:59 am

Similarly to what others have posted...

I would have said F-Zero on the Gamecube every time, but now I've played Wipeout HD on the PS3 there's no going back...

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:02 am

batman877 wrote:Similarly to what others have posted...

I would have said F-Zero on the Gamecube every time, but now I've played Wipeout HD on the PS3 there's no going back...
What about the next F-Zero game (if there is one?) :P

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:53 am

That would be F-Zero LD if it was on Wii........ :)

RetroKingSimon

Post by RetroKingSimon » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:56 am

Mootown wrote:That would be F-Zero LD if it was on Wii........ :)
:shock:

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:00 am

In an irritating bit of fence sitting I'm going to profess hot love for both Wipeout 2097 and F-Zero GX.

The first Wipeout looked and sounded the business, but had serious gameplay issues in my opinion- grinding to a dead halt if you so much as glanced your ship against the edge of the track was nearly a gamebreaker in my book. 2097 allowed a more rough house style of racing and was all the better for it, although it certainly wasnt the technical shock that the original was. Wip3out is a bit underrated and is one of the most (technically) impressive PS1 games IMO.

I liked the original F-Zero at the time, didnt like X, but thought GX was awesome (cheating CPU racers aside).

F-Zero is in no way in this universe a lightweight alternative to Wipeout. It could easily be argued that its the purer game. Wipeout is essentially a Mario Kart clone with a techno nerd makeover.

:wink:
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:41 am

The problem with hitting the sides and coming to a dead stop in the original Wipeout isn't a problem in my books - just don't hit the sides :)

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:27 pm

Emperor Fossil wrote:Has anyone here played the update to Powerdrome that appeared on xbox, ps2, and PC?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ckQaqDDsY
I have got the PC version. I bought it hoping in a nice remake of the original. Unfortunately is a quite different game. Something between a Wipeout clone and StarWars Pod Racer.
Don't get me wrong; the game is quite nice overall. Zoo Digital has given the game a whole new punkish futuristic slick look (if I am using comprehensible english terms).
Technically graphics and sound are really well done, with a lot of enviromental effects. There is lot of different unlockable characters, each with his own ship and style (taunts, voices, comments...) and many tracks.
It can be funny to play, but, if you are as me a Powerdrome fan, you'll find a very different game from the original.
The flight model is completely different: you don't actually fly, but rather levitate, so that movement is restricted to the horizontal plane.
That is, no sliding under or over the opponents. Inertia also works a very different way. The game is more about bikes rather than ships, allowing the competitors to make drifts, but not knife turns.
In conclusion, it's a different game, not a remake, but worth trying if you like such racers.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:40 pm

Thanks for the info Chinnico (and Kaptain_Von). I'm sure I've seen the xbox version on ebay for next to nothing, so I think I'll keep an eye out for it. There's something about the look of it in the vids I've seen that I like... something about the sunny courses and blue skies.

Cornervizion

Post by Cornervizion » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:38 am

Simple Answer... No F-Zero, No wipEout.

I can see why the clubbers went for wipEout esp. with that capital E on the box. But the F-Zero series has been constantly fun from the SNES, N64, Gamecube and GBA. But wipEout never got my interest up past the 2nd one.

Thankfully no-one has mention Fatal Intertia as their favourite....Utter Crap!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:44 am

Cornervizion wrote:Simple Answer... No F-Zero, No wipEout.
I don't see where your reasoning is for that. It's not like F-Zero was a massively original concept and Wipeout itself is much more like Megarace than it is F-Zero.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Tricky. I liked F-Zero on SNES and GBA and always felt Wipeout was far too unforgiving. I liked it but I felt that after, say, the third track, the difficulty would spike horribly.

I have to vote for Wipeout though, purely on the strength of Wipeout HD. Better progression, better control, better track design. The only thing that grates a bit is the absolute necessity to hit the 'go faster' panels in order to win. But, even with that, it beats the ever more lackluster F-Zero series in my opinion.