Best home version of Mortal Kombat 2?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nesmaster

Best home version of Mortal Kombat 2?

Post by nesmaster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:18 am

I own it on the Mega Drive and the SNES.
I think that the SNES version has better sound effects and graphics. But the Mega Drive has better Music IMO.

How are the other versions?
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:20 am

The PC version was pretty good.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:25 am

Killer Instinct

That joke never gets old or tired :lol:

thl

Post by thl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:29 am

There's a comparison thread about this game thanks to woody.cool:
woody.cool wrote:Mortal Kombat II

IBM PC / MS-DOS
Image Image

Once I got over the fact that it's 8 (yes 8 ) 3.5" floppy discs, I was happy. I got this installed on my Hard Drive and stared it up. I was amazed. Finally Arcade -> PC conversions are getting good. I loved this version of the game. If it wasn't for MAME I'd probably be playing this version. The graphics are of very high quality and the sound, although it users MIDI for the music, is actually quite good. The controls are responsive and the game flows as smooth as the arcade machine.
I'd say this is a near arcade perfect conversion!

Sega 32X
Image Image

I dont't and have never owned a 32X so this was played via emulation. I wasn't sure whether this was going to be any good or not, but I was pleasantly surprised. The graphics and sound are arcade perfect. The controls are smooth. It's a shame it was made for such a crap console!

Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES)
Image Image

I was impressed upon playing this. Yet again another arcade perfect port. This is much better than the original MK on the SNES - the blood is intact and the game runs smoothly - the SNES pad is laid out perfectly for playing this game.

Sega Megadrive / Sega Genesis
Image Image

Not a bad conversion. Responsive, good sound, OK graphics. The graphics look a little strange and the Megadrive is staring to show it's age with this game, but yet again, it's of high quality!

Commodore Amiga (1MB RAM required)
Image Image

At first, I thought this was going to be good. But damn is it painful to load - it takes ages. When the game finally loaded up, it was of excellent quality.
Anyway, I was playing along nicely and when I pulled off a finishing move I got this:
IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME :shock:
That's just completely destroyed what high regard I had for this version of the game.

The conclusion
1. IBM PC (DOS) / Sega 32X - both high quality conversions
2. Super Nintendo (SNES) - excellent quality
3. Sega Megadrive - looking slightly dated now, but nevertheless, a good conversion
4. Commodore Amiga - Oh deary me! I don't like having to swap disks mid game!

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:33 am

Love the Amiga "finish him" thing!
The C64 version would probably loaded inbetween every punch & kick!!
I miss those game comparisons!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:36 am

I bought it for the Megadrive.

Having played both the Megeadrive and the SNES versions, I would say the Megadrive version was my favourite.
Press Play On Tape

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:38 am

Found the 32x one pretty good myself.i liked the amiga version too.Was improvement over the 1st mk.The saturn version is excellent port as well.
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:47 am

Originally played it on both the SNES and MD. Liked both, but prefer it on SNES because of the better control pad, slightly nicer graphics and it seems to be that bit faster.

More recently played it on Midway's Arcade Treasures on Xbox and PSP, and both ports seem to be pretty much spot on and control well, plus it's always nice having an arcade perfect port on a handheld and being able to play it on the toilet :D
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

acorn4eva

Post by acorn4eva » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:49 pm

Never tried the 32X port, but the DOS version of MK2 was awesome - truly arcade perfect.

Only criticisms I can level at it:

- unless you had an SB AWE32, the music was pretty naff

- due to limitations of the PC Gameport architecture, only one player could use a 6-button pad (I got around this by buying a 6-button Arcade Controller from DATEL that was supplied with a 2-port interface which sat between the keyboard + base unit and converted button presses into keystrokes. It'd also let you plug a 6-button Megadrive pad into slot 2, which was handy!).

- the sprite movement on the retail version of PC MK2 was slightly-less smooth than the demo version (which was given away on a cover cd). Am I the only one on the planet who spotted this or did anyone else notice it too?

The PC version of MK1 was also very hot - it certainly wazzed all over the 16-bit computer/console versions.

And interestingly, I was passed a couple of MK2 builds on CD-R for the original Playstation, about 10 years ago ... neither were finished (e.g. fatalities and some sounds were missing) but from what I remember it played pretty well - though there was a bit of a delay between fights whilst each level loaded. Shame it never got released, as I hated MK3 and everything that followed it.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:15 pm

I quite like Mortal Kombat 4 actually, it felt like a return to the main 'basics' of MK2 after the atrocities of MK3, Ultimate MK3 and MK Trilogy. I'm not a huge fan of the more recent MK games (from Deadly Alliance onwards) though, but even they're a million times better than MK3.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

EvilArmourKing

Post by EvilArmourKing » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:38 pm

Before the (97% Arcade PERFECT) PS2 version arrived courtesy of Midway Arcade Treasures 2, the 32X was the closest port.

Years ago when playing MKII in the arcades, I was forever dreaming that there would be a PERFECT port one day for a home system. And I actually cried when I played the version on Arcade Treasures 2. Or did I??

There was also rumoured to be a Mega CD and 3DO version in the pipeline. That's too bad, as I would have liked to have been able to see the result on Panasonics black number. It would have been ideal for both systems, as the majority of games for both were "Interactive movies" featuring - yep, you've guessed it, DIGITISED GRAPHICS!
"This rod will be your doom" - Kilik

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:26 am

I've always favoured the Amiga 500 version... if only it was hard drive installable - the loading and disk swapping is a pain!

As mentioned above... The Midway Arcade Treasures 2 on PS2 or XBOX (or even GC if you don't mind importing!) is your best solution.

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:34 am

Was it this one on the Amiga where if you were Shang Tsung and morphed, you had to change disk?
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:27 am

Overheat wrote:Was it this one on the Amiga where if you were Shang Tsung and morphed, you had to change disk?
Only if you had a pirated version of the game! :wink:

I believe the original came on 3 disks and the pirated one had 4!

Belgarath

Post by Belgarath » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:21 pm

Absolutely correct.

And of course these days it can be installed with WHDLoad so no diskswappin g at all!