Neo-Geo Pocket/Wonderswan

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Coopdevil

Neo-Geo Pocket/Wonderswan

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:42 am

Seen a couple around for sub-20 notes. Are either worth getting bearing in mind I already have two GBColors and a GBA SP?

Wonderswan's seem easy to acquire from Japan but not sure about how practical the games are to play for a non-Japanese speaker?

Neo-Geo Pocket I know had a UK release but off the top of my head I don't know of any titles to look out for!

Coop

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:59 am

Is it a Neo Geo Pocket or a Neo Geo Pocket Colour? The Colour is the handheld to get as the majority of games were released for that platform. Its a brilliant little handheld as well and is well worth getting.
My personal favorite games for the system include: King of Fighters R2, Samurai Shodown, Last Blade 1+2, SNK Vs Capcom Match of the Millenium (all brilliant fighting games that play surprisingly close to their arcade counterparts). Both Metal Slug Games, Sonic Pocket Adventure, Rockman Battle and Fighters, Puzzle Bobble and SNK Vs Capcom Card Fighters Clash.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:31 am

For the NGPC just about everything bar the gambling titles are worth picking up, and even then they aren't that bad really...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

playgeneration

Post by playgeneration » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:47 am

Definitly Neo Geo Pocket , no question about it. The Metal Slug games alone make it worth it. Perhaps pick up a Wonderswan afterwards if you really want, but there are only a limited number of games playable if you don't understand Japanese, about 20 or so, and not many of those are too impressive. Still the Wonderswan is an interesting handheld, just not a must have.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:49 am

Neo Geo is colour yes.

Cheers fellas that looks like a vote of confidence for the Neo-Geo Pocket Colour. I had a look on wikipedia at the list of games for the Wonderswan and they all seem very Jap-language dependent, the killer apps were all Final Fantasy ports.

Coop

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:05 am

Deffo worth getting the pocket colour had one myself recently sold it for a nice price. Problem is in the daylight it's hard to see very well. If you get one, get Sonic. It's a different version that the others and well worth a look.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:08 am

NGPC is deffinatly worth geting it hosts some of the best 2D fighters ever to grace a hand held

The amount of time I have spent on Cardfighters, king of the fighters, Metal slug, Snk vs Capcom Match of the millennium (loads of mini games that are fun) makes it

A while ago there where what can be called a starter set that was a NGPC and 8 games (with out box or instructions) that was sold for about twenty notes

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:19 am

Man I wish I could graft my Neo Geo pocket D-pad onto my PSP - It would probably mean I'd play on the PSP more.....

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:43 am

DPrinny wrote:NGPC is deffinatly worth geting it hosts some of the best 2D fighters ever to grace a hand held

The amount of time I have spent on Cardfighters, king of the fighters, Metal slug, Snk vs Capcom Match of the millennium (loads of mini games that are fun) makes it

A while ago there where what can be called a starter set that was a NGPC and 8 games (with out box or instructions) that was sold for about twenty notes
^^ What he said. NGPC boasts not only the finest collection of handheld fighters, but it is home to Cardfighters Clash, the most addictive game I have ever played.

Smurph

Re: Neo-Geo Pocket/Wonderswan

Post by Smurph » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:09 am

Coopdevil wrote:Seen a couple around for sub-20 notes. Are either worth getting bearing in mind I already have two GBColors and a GBA SP?

Wonderswan's seem easy to acquire from Japan but not sure about how practical the games are to play for a non-Japanese speaker?

Neo-Geo Pocket I know had a UK release but off the top of my head I don't know of any titles to look out for!

Coop
Can't add to what's been said about the NGPC- it really is a great machine. I'd add Cotton to the list of must-have games, especially if you're into your shmups. Pricey though.

Not all the killer apps for the Wonderswan are FF games, or even just RPGs: there's a decent version of Golden Axe, some of the puzzlers are utterly fantastic - Tane Wo Maku Tori is my favourite, along with Soruban Gu - Gunpey is on there too. There's a good One Piece beat em up and Guilty Gear Petit isn't bad. There's a good Ghosts n Goblins conversion on it (Makaimura). There's still quite a few I want to get for it. The language barrier shouldn't be a problem if you choose your games wisely, I don't have a word of Japanes, but I've got about 20 games for the WS. Oh, and get a Colour or Crytal if you can.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:10 am

Well, as I mentioned somewhere else, Ive seen a colour one with turf masters for £19.99, so I think I may purchase!

But, will getting more game prove costly?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:26 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Well, as I mentioned somewhere else, Ive seen a colour one with turf masters for £19.99, so I think I may purchase!

Not if you go for just the carts on there own. They are usually quite cheap to come by for most of the titles, its only if you go for the boxed and complete games that the prices will start to become more expensive.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:29 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Well, as I mentioned somewhere else, Ive seen a colour one with turf masters for £19.99, so I think I may purchase!

I just managed to get a complete copy of Metal Slug 1st Mission, you can have my loose cart for postage if you want.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:55 am

gmintyfresh wrote:Man I wish I could graft my Neo Geo pocket D-pad onto my PSP - It would probably mean I'd play on the PSP more.....
True
The NGPC is one of the best d-pad/sticks ever to grace a console
Well, as I mentioned somewhere else, Ive seen a colour one with turf masters for £19.99, so I think I may purchase!

Best handheld Golf game ive ever played
Its very much like the arcade Neo turf masters but with out the graphics

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:10 am

You can get "most" games (cart only but new) for @ £3-4.