Best UK-made 8-bitter, games-wise

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spector

Re: Best UK-made 8-bitter, games-wise

Post by Spector » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:19 am

TMR wrote: the only reason i got a C64 was that it was £50 and had previously belonged to a bunch of chain-smoking software developers; i had to do some surgery to re-seat the chips (in particular the VIC-II which in it's loosened state had the weirdest fault i've ever seen on a C64) and get the keyboard to respond fully, then use the PSU and tape deck from my VIC to get it going but i'd never have been able to afford it otherwise.
Does it still work or is it long consigned to the bin?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:27 am

TMR wrote:
CrookedMouth wrote: Didn't the Spectrum ZX have the fastest CPU speed at a true 3.54mhz?
No, the CPC pulls 4MHz on the same model of CPU so of the three being discussed it was the fastest; what slowed it down as far as moving graphics around was that the display RAM was over twice the size of the Spectrum.
Thats a pretty hefty downside and probably goes some way to explaining why so many Amstrad CPC games seem slower and jerkier than their Spectrum counterparts (obviously there are some well known exceptions that show what the CPC could do in the right hands).

It also needs to be remembered that of the three main 8-bits the Spectrum was the oldest, which makes some of the technical achievements on the machine fairly gobsmacking- the best 8-bit examples of vector/filled 3D, for example, are still to be found on the spectrum.

Edit- The C64 was only released a few months after the spectrum, so the relative age of the systems wasnt really an issue- me da dumb.
Last edited by AlleyKat on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:31 am

Spector wrote:
TMR wrote: the only reason i got a C64 was that it was £50 and had previously belonged to a bunch of chain-smoking software developers; i had to do some surgery to re-seat the chips (in particular the VIC-II which in it's loosened state had the weirdest fault i've ever seen on a C64) and get the keyboard to respond fully, then use the PSU and tape deck from my VIC to get it going but i'd never have been able to afford it otherwise.
Does it still work or is it long consigned to the bin?
Well it took a severe thrashing over the years, got through another two PSUs, even more drastic surgery to fix a problem with the CIA and currently has the upper half of a C16 keyboard because it was my main dev machine for a long time and that's the only spare i had to hand when i needed one but yes, last i fired it up the poor thing still runs perfectly despite my mistreatment; it's in my parent's shed so about 250 miles away so i can't check it now... =-)

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:35 am

AlleyKat wrote:Thats a pretty hefty downside and probably goes some way to explaining why so many Amstrad CPC games seem slower and jerkier than their Spectrum counterparts (obviously there are some well known exceptions that show what the CPC could do in the right hands).
That's true of all the 8-bits though, any hand-crafted program written by someone who knows the machine shines out when surrounded by quick and dirty ports. There are techniques that make scrolling the entire screen feasable (similar tricks to the BBC actually, they're based around the same CTRC chip) and games like Mission Genocide or Firetrack can't be done in the same way on the Spectrum or indeed C64 as they are for the CPC and BBC respectively (in both cases, the C64 got a port but the Spectrum didn't).
AlleyKat wrote:It also needs to be remembered that of the three main 8-bits the Spectrum was the oldest, which makes some of the technical achievements on the machine fairly gobsmacking- the best 8-bit examples of vector/filled 3D, for example, are still to be found on the spectrum.
We-ell... there are some good filled vector examples on the C64 and technically it does run at about half the speed of the Spectrum so when you see it doing it, that's it really pulling it's weight - again it's a matter of the code being written for the machine rather than ported. But that's for another thread... =-)

Von Paulus

Post by Von Paulus » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:02 am

Matt_B wrote: and the Spectrum only had unofficial support for disk drives until 1987. .
A little trivia:
In Portugal and in Poland, Timex cloned the ZX Spectrum and created the Timex 2048 and 2068. In 1985, Timex Portugal, developed and launched the FDD3000. As far as I remember it worked well, better than the MicroDrive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_FDD3000

madcrow

Post by madcrow » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:14 am

Well Spectrum fans, you'll be happy to know that I've chosen Spectrum as my first British machine to explore and have now become addicted to Chaos. Best little strategy title, EVER.

Gnome

Post by Gnome » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:25 am

Ah yes... Chaos! A glorious game and the daddy of Laser Squad. Not sure which one I prefer though.
Usually blogging over at Gnome's Lair, steadily into Retro Treasures and some cabaret.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:06 pm

madcrow wrote:Well Spectrum fans, you'll be happy to know that I've chosen Spectrum as my first British machine to explore and have now become addicted to Chaos. Best little strategy title, EVER.
Great choice but give Rebelstar a go...

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek ... id=0004058

Read the text file on that page for keys etc. Its a great strategy game, try it on about level 3 to begin with. Love this game, very addictive.

Use the large droids to shoot through the main gate and then chuck your troops in and the enemy start coming towards you then.

Great game