Playing Import Games on PS2 - Where to get chip?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kochane

Playing Import Games on PS2 - Where to get chip?

Post by kochane » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi Guys

Not sure if this is OK to post so apologies if not or in the wrong place.

I am hoping to get my slimline PS2 chipped to play import games (am heading to Japan in the new year and want to stock up!) and do not really like the idea of the Swap Magic etc.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the Leeds, West Yorkshire area which can do this and how much I can expect to pay? Somebody I know thought of a place but it costs about £55 - £60 which seems a bit pricey considering I can probably get a PS2 for about that price, or is that the going rate?

I have looked at some sites where you can purchase the chips but am not exactly a master at soldering or really know the difference between the different types available!

Please can you PM if you any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

th3 duckst3r

Post by th3 duckst3r » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:15 am

get a slim ps2 mate then get the boot disks no one will touch chipping a phat ps2 .pretty simple to fit and easy to use.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:41 am

th3 duckst3r wrote:get a slim ps2 mate then get the boot disks no one will touch chipping a phat ps2 .pretty simple to fit and easy to use.
Could you elaborate? I'd be interested to learn more...

There are many JAP PS2 games I'd like to collect.

The Master

Post by The Master » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:43 am

I can't find it right now, but there was/is a website selling pre-chipped slim PS2s for not much more than normal retail price - I don't have time for further searches at the moment but Google will sort you out in the end. You'll have a tough time finding someone to actually do it in the UK upfront and open like, since they were declared illegal and EVIL some time ago...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:47 am

Just buy a swapmagic. Plays just about everything and no chiiping involved.

http://www.swapmagic3.com/

kochane

Post by kochane » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Thanks for the info.

Am afraid I could not find too much about pre modded PS2s which is fairly recent (most stuff from 2005!)

I have just had a look at the Swap Magic site, looks good with the slim PS2 cover instead of the slide tool. Has anyone tried this with the slim cover add on and does it work OK/easy to install?

I have had no joy with the modchips so am thinking this route may be better?

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:37 pm

I was looking at this site a while ago before I took the plunge and bought a Jap PS2.

The site is down for a re-design till the 1st of October but they had loads of PS2 chips, I've never ordered anything from the site but they also sold pre-modded PS2s

http://www.mrmodchips.co.uk/catalog/ind ... 0af9a6c1b1

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:56 pm

kochane wrote:Thanks for the info.

Am afraid I could not find too much about pre modded PS2s which is fairly recent (most stuff from 2005!)

I have just had a look at the Swap Magic site, looks good with the slim PS2 cover instead of the slide tool. Has anyone tried this with the slim cover add on and does it work OK/easy to install?

I have had no joy with the modchips so am thinking this route may be better?
the slim flip top cover isn't great quality, doesn't fit very well and it's a little flimsy and most of the time it doesn't fully press the lid switches down, needless to say i broke mine within a couple of hours, in the end i just took my ps2 apart and soldered the lid connections, but fitted a tiny switch to the front right switch so i can still select smooth textures on psx games because as you probably know once you reset the ps2 any settings for psx games are set back to default :evil:

th3 duckst3r

Post by th3 duckst3r » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:41 pm

get the swapmagic 3 easy to fit all your problems will be solved so easy to use u have 1 dvd for games on dvd then 1 cd for games on cd.very easy to use.simple to fit the metal pins.

http://www.techwizad.com/index1.html

bought mine here twice no probs what so ever

James A

Post by James A » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:46 pm

Does that swap magic work for all import games Jap and NTSC?

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:09 pm

yep, absolutely everything, apart from dvd9 games as swapmagic only has a TOC of 4.2gb or so....

but it's a simple enough process to rebuild ps2 games to get the iso size down below the swapmagic limit

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:27 pm

I was initially put off by the swap magic and wanted to rebuy a chipped PS2. But allegedly they don;t do any actual damage to the machine or drive so as long as you're not playing it 24/7 and swapping disks every few minutes it should be more than good enough for what you want.

I do know a site from which I am a member (BST-secure.com) but it's really hard to get in and you need refs from 2 established members to even post there. It is a complete haven for pirate and illegal warez with many chipped console being sold there for good prices.

If you are still adamant on getting a chip (in all honesty I prefer the hard modded route) then take a look on ebay and search for "special PS2" or "PS2 Chipped" if the seller is being brave. You sometimes see a few go, but be warned Ebay has the right to cancel the auction at any time which could leave you high and dry if you have already sent the money to the seller.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:56 pm

th3 duckst3r wrote:get the swapmagic 3 easy to fit all your problems will be solved so easy to use u have 1 dvd for games on dvd then 1 cd for games on cd.very easy to use.simple to fit the metal pins.

http://www.techwizad.com/index1.html

bought mine here twice no probs what so ever
Yep I agree. I bought my Swapmagic from this site and it works a treat. I've played games from the US and Japan with no problems. Plus if you like Guitar Hero there are loads of self made tracks you can download and play.
Swapmagic is by far the easiest way of modding a PS2.