What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheAlex

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by TheAlex » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:58 pm

Golf Story, which may be the first game I've completed in years given I've only really casually played multiplayer games for a few years. The final level was a ridiculous step up in difficulty compared to the rest of the game, but I made it. A bit of a disappointing game at times, but it was good fun in parts and I enjoyed it overall.

I'm halfway through To the Moon and closing in on completing Mario Odyssey and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons on co-op with my bro'.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:26 pm

Silent Hill (PS1). Had to make do without the Hunting Rifle as I wanted to play without any cheats/guides and I completely forgot where to grab it. Good job the final boss is dead easy once you use the sideways run to avoid the lightning. Got the Good+ ending.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:01 am

Finally got round to completing Mario Odyssey, what an utterly charming game. I’m not sure if I really have the willpower to go back and find every single moon though, seems like a missed a ton of them

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:59 am

Mario galaxy, switch version. All 242 stars. Now back to odyssey

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 pm

Finished Silent Hill 2 last night. What a game. I still think that the original has a slight edge on the fear factor, but SH2 is still right up, especially in the underground prison section. Loved the psychological approach, and the fact that the town is like a dark mirror reflecting the demons inside those that get drawn to it. I'm definitely appreciating SH a lot more than classic Resi now so it's a shame that the series eventually succumbed to the curse of the being a Konami IP...

But since I'm playing the Director's Cut, I've still got to clear the "Born From a Wish" extra scenario - playing as Maria - so it's not over yet.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:30 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 pm
Finished Silent Hill 2 last night. What a game. I still think that the original has a slight edge on the fear factor, but SH2 is still right up, especially in the underground prison section. Loved the psychological approach, and the fact that the town is like a dark mirror reflecting the demons inside those that get drawn to it. I'm definitely appreciating SH a lot more than classic Resi now so it's a shame that the series eventually succumbed to the curse of the being a Konami IP...

But since I'm playing the Director's Cut, I've still got to clear the "Born From a Wish" extra scenario - playing as Maria - so it's not over yet.
If has a few endings, you dont see the better one first time

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:16 pm

To the Moon - I'm baffled about the overwhelmingly positive reviews for this game. The characters were unlikeable, the gameplay was awful and it was a chore to finish, even in its 4ish hour play time. The only thing I liked was the music, but even that got repetitive. Probably the worst game I've ever completed.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - another short game - this time an excellent one. I loved the different worlds and characters and there were fun interludes to the general gameplay. On the one-player mode, I found it hard enough to control a character with my right thumb, never mind controlling two characters at once with a different thumb.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:23 pm

I don't think you missed much with To The Moon. It's all about the story, and if that doesn't grab you - and it certainly didn't with me back when I played it - you've just got a cookie cutter RPG maker game.

Still, the story seems to have pulled on the heartstrings of a lot of games journalists. Ah well, when they're getting a solid diet of RPG maker games with stories that are straight rips from FF/Earthbound/Chrono Trigger, the ones that don't fit that pattern will seem a heck of a lot more interesting. See also Yume Nikki and Lisa.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:19 am

Nes Fantastic adventures of Dizzy which turned out was actually Dizzy Prince of the Yolkfolk (my favourite Dizzy)with a few differences. The magic carpet wasn’t useless this time and no evil Dizzy.

Started on the new Nes Dizzy well you actually play as Daisy(wish they gave her blonde hair)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:37 pm

The Bunker- a video choose your own adventure. My son completed Breath of the Wild - proud of him!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:39 am

Virtual pro wrestling 2 freem edition on Expert with a random team of Stan Hansen and Andre the Giant, super heavy weights are a bit op as a lot of throws dont work
At times it got intense with some of the tenements and one title match loss early nearly messed me up, the rumble was a nightmare with someone slow.
Having it on Expert means it had times where it felt like the CPU AI just countered everything and got to special way faster,

Harkatim

Post by Harkatim » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:48 am

Rocket Knight Adventures (Mega drive)

After hearing it talked up for over 20 years - thought i'd give it a go. I really enjoyed it; a lot of cute platforming ideas and stage variety. It's maybe a little easy but that just means I can rattle it off now and then, when I have a an hour. I'd definitely recommend it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:19 am

Harkatim wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:48 am

After hearing it talked up for over 20 years - thought i'd give it a go. I really enjoyed it; a lot of cute platforming ideas and stage variety. It's maybe a little easy but that just means I can rattle it off now and then, when I have a an hour. I'd definitely recommend it.
Now try it on a higher difficulty to see the better ending.........

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:30 am

Mario 35. It may be a game without end but I wanted to reach level 100 and I've done that.

Harkatim

Post by Harkatim » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:49 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:19 am
Harkatim wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:48 am

Now try it on a higher difficulty to see the better ending.........
I noticed some sort of command input, post-credits. Is that the difficulty unlock? I'd be up for a little more challenge :)