What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Last Ginja

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by The Last Ginja » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:19 am

Shenmue 2-PS4- Got the Platinum, enjoyed the first half a lot even though it had lost some of the charm of the first game since it is now in a much larger area.

Then I got to Kowloon, and that's when the game lost its way. So many BS QTE encounters, which are fine in most instances except the game changes the rules on them depending on what you're doing. There's no consistency and it's jarring, and in some cases it's not overly clear what buttons to be pressing. I watched some videos of the DC version and it's easy to see what needs to be pressed. I'm unsure why they changed it. You have 4 or 5 battles, a couple of them are not too easy that end in a QTE, fail that and you have to do the whole fight again? There's also a very long section with planks, if you mess up once you go all the way back to the beginning, which is a nonsense. I save scummed my way through that section.

However, once you're out of Kowloon the game takes a turn back to being good again. I've started Shenmue 3 and so far so good, so fingers crossed!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Evil dead - Fist full of boomstick
Not awful

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:16 am

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Not the most knowledgeable of DC Comics guy outside of the Batman stuff, but this story mode was actually pretty good. Felt more invested than wanting to see most of the DCU movies, the story seemingly kept going without a loading scene which followed a nice flow. A tad short, but makes me want to see what happens next in the sequel so it did its job.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:09 am

Spent a good 150 hours 100%ing Yakuza Kenzan. Its probably the toughest of the 100%s in the series to be honest... with every subsequent game getting easier and easier (especially after 3, the series gets hilariously easy). Clearing some of the mini games this time round was actually challenging, the poem card game was a pain in the ass - partly due to how incredibly quick the AI is at getting the answer, and the other half because I don't exactly understand poetry... in Japanese. Still managed it though, just took a couple of tries! Koi Koi was also pretty refreshing compared to future iterations as instead of just getting an overall number of tiles by just playing it loads, you have to win by a certain number of points in each separate rounds setting - which was a blast, helped me really nail down my knowledge on the best scoring Koi Koi hands. Thankfully Mahjong was as easy as ever though! Doesn't even need you to get a unique hand or nothing.
The rest of the game is pretty easy to hit max completion (aside from the looming threat of missing side stories if you don't consult a guide frequently) - the combat is ace especially after you clear all the training, Amon is a blast to fight (and definitely the hardest of the Amon's in the series, except maybe EX Hard Amon in 7?) and the game itself still holds up remarkably well despite being a very early PS3 title. While I finish off plat'ing Cuphead and GoT I'll take a break from the series before diving into Yakuza 1 HD on the PS3 to finally get the plat on that as well (its a fairly easy list, except Haruka's 20 home run request...)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:15 am

Sonic Blast man 2 (SNES)
Was ok

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:06 am

Grabbed the platinum trophy on Cuphead. Loved it, having already done it on Xbox and Switch, it was a pretty easy going plat really. Can't wait to get the DLC boss fights as and when they release.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:33 am

Finished Ghost of Tsushima with the platinum and Wow what an absolutely amazing game. It starts of really hard and Jin is weak forcing you to hide from everybody as you die a lot. Teaming with Yuna, she teaches you the Stealth kills & it becomes Tenchu. Putting the mask on & becoming the ghost unlocks all the stealth abilities/ weapons and upgrading in shops it becomes awesome. If anything Jin becomes too powerful and making the game too easy. Stealth kills from being slow brutal kills become instant & large Mongo camps can be killed with easy. It’s like playing Shogun Assassin’s (Baby cart) and the stand off where you just 1 hit kill groups of 10 people just never gets old. The hallucination dart can kill an entire fortress with ease, the kunai 1 hit kills several animals & enemies, & Using the mounted artillery just mows entire Army’s down!

Only problem is after platinum there’s nothing to do just the occasional Mongol party on the road holding hostages. Or you can wear the Mongol armour and just walk past them.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

merman

Post by merman » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:23 am

Return of Double Dragon (Evercade, Technos Collection)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:17 am

Speaking of Dragons
Dragon force 2 Kaede scenario done.

Once I figured out the best troop combos it became a bit easy

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:40 pm

The Punisher on Xbox
Damn, that was a good game, it dont really do anything new, apart from the interrogation
ImageImageImage

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:38 pm

Cold fear, damn this was a good game, like Resi 4 without all the QTE nonsense, and set on a oil tanker, then an oil rig..
Getting lost can be a bit annoying as the game has no map system

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:39 am

Double dragon Neon.
It really becomes a slog towards the end, hate the idea of having to level up things in-order for them to be useful and to actually stand a chance

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:55 am

Gotten as far as I can in Ginga Force, Easy and Normal completed. Hard mode is too much for me, though I think I will try and clear it at some point. I really recommend this game if you want a good shmup with a fair bit of content, right now it’s only Japan PSN but it’s fully localised in English which was a pleasant surprise!

I think pQube are set to release both this and a prequel of sorts, Natsumi Chronicles, in the West at some point this year. I haven’t played Natsumi Chronicles but it looks to be more of the same, which I’m down for. The only big difference seems to be that it’s a hori rather then vert shmup

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:45 am

Finished the main story in Steambot Chronicles. Pretty unexpected twist there at the end! Excellent, excellent game. Still have some side stuff to do so I will stick with it for a bit longer yet.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:12 am

Finished story mode of Yakuza 2. Lots I didn't remember about this so glad I played through it again. Probably finish the side quest at some point.

Mario 3 on switch, snes version. I think I've only ever completed this twice, once on the nes release and again in 93 when I got allstars. Probably the second best 2d mario.