What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

srj672

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by srj672 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:26 am

SMB 1 2 and 3. 2 was a real struggle becuase it can suck up lives, continues and patience, but with save states it's bareable,

3 I did a personal best by not using P-wings on the Tank Navy or Airforce in Dark World. So satisfying to see Bowser hit the deck.

Both of them I really appreciated how they pushed level design and exploration quite early on in the series.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:30 am

Have you been listening to Retro Asylum?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

srj672

Post by srj672 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:34 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:30 am
Have you been listening to Retro Asylum?
Yeah I listen to it quite freqently, but I hadn't checked the feed recently and can see a lovely little community play through, ta!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:56 am

Both sides of AAA Lucha Libre Heroes del ring
Constant squash matches and if things got a bit hard, I became a git and got them counted out

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:07 am

Finished the story on Yakuza kiwami. So glad I decided to play through the story again on the way to 5&6 as I'd forgotten loads since the ps3 game. Il mop ip a few bits of side stuff, specifically anything new. Also, what a terrffic remake. Bring on kiwami 2.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:33 am

ulrich7ad wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:07 am
Finished the story on Yakuza kiwami. So glad I decided to play through the story again on the way to 5&6 as I'd forgotten loads since the ps3 game. Il mop ip a few bits of side stuff, specifically anything new. Also, what a terrffic remake. Bring on kiwami 2.
I've not long finished Kiwami 2 and can say - with confidence - that you will love it. It uses the same engine as Yakuza 6 so is actually a noticeable technical upgrade from Zero/Kiwami 1. The visuals, fighting and details are all a good step up.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:56 am

I beat WWF Wrestlefest (arcade, emulated on Vita) yesterday. Both the Royal Rumble and tag team Main Event championship. I love this game, still the best wrestling game out there in my opinion with its huge, colourful sprites and fun gameplay, even if it is basically just a button basher. It's a crying shame it never got a home console release :(

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:58 am

Megamixer wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:33 am
ulrich7ad wrote:
I've not long finished Kiwami 2 and can say - with confidence - that you will love it. It uses the same engine as Yakuza 6 so is actually a noticeable technical upgrade from Zero/Kiwami 1. The visuals, fighting and details are all a good step up.
I played Zero and Kiwami 1 and 2 last year after having meant to get in to the series for years. I loved Zero but thought Kiwami 1 was a bit of a dip after that, however Kiwami 2 was even better than Zero in my opinion. I loved it, the story was just epic. Huge fan of the series now and planning on doing 3, 4 and 5 this year as well as Judgement (funds allowing!).

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:11 am

Alex79uk2 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:56 am
I beat WWF Wrestlefest (arcade, emulated on Vita) yesterday. Both the Royal Rumble and tag team Main Event championship. I love this game, still the best wrestling game out there in my opinion with its huge, colourful sprites and fun gameplay, even if it is basically just a button basher. It's a crying shame it never got a home console release :(
The Rumble was reasonably easy to 1CC with Slaughter due to his throw and submission move. With the pinball they tended to kick out or get broken up. Never beat Legion of Doom I suppose these days I could credit feed.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:57 pm

Alex79uk2 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:58 am
Megamixer wrote:
ulrich7ad wrote:
I played Zero and Kiwami 1 and 2 last year after having meant to get in to the series for years. I loved Zero but thought Kiwami 1 was a bit of a dip after that, however Kiwami 2 was even better than Zero in my opinion. I loved it, the story was just epic. Huge fan of the series now and planning on doing 3, 4 and 5 this year as well as Judgement (funds allowing!).
Yeah really looking forward to two as it's my favourite of the 5 I've played. For me it has the only antagonist who could go toe to toe with Kiryu and potentially win.

Alex79uk2

Post by Alex79uk2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:16 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:11 am
Alex79uk2 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:56 am
The Rumble was reasonably easy to 1CC with Slaughter due to his throw and submission move. With the pinball they tended to kick out or get broken up. Never beat Legion of Doom I suppose these days I could credit feed.
Haha I was Slaughter (and Warrior) in the tag team and most the wins (4/5) were by submission. LoD are just cheap, you have to cheese them pretty much. I beat the rumble with Hogan, by the way.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:46 pm

ulrich7ad wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:57 pm
Alex79uk2 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:58 am
Megamixer wrote:

Yeah really looking forward to two as it's my favourite of the 5 I've played. For me it has the only antagonist who could go toe to toe with Kiryu and potentially win.
They did a great job with the final Ryuji battles in Kiwami 2 so look forward to those. Yakuza 2 has always been my favourite too, ever since the PS2 original.

Argos are selling the standard physical release of 3/4/5 remastered collection on ebay for about £40 inc postage. I'm not sure how that stacks up against the digital versions (I don't know the prices) but here's a link if anybody is interested.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yakuza-Remas ... SwRTJejmEW
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:08 pm

Dragons crown
As a Dwarf because throwing barrels and beard.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:30 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:46 pm
Argos are selling the standard physical release of 3/4/5 remastered collection on ebay for about £40 inc postage. I'm not sure how that stacks up against the digital versions (I don't know the prices) but here's a link if anybody is interested.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yakuza-Remas ... SwRTJejmEW
Worth noting the digital copies are on sale for £40 (for the bundle) right now, alongside loads of other Yakuza games.

Anyway, 205 hours later, and I'm done with Yakuza 7. The EX Hard difficulty called to me so I had to try it, the main game is rather easy (like all Yakuza games really) but on EX hard they drastically increase enemy attack damage so around 3 hits and your dead. Really forces you to strategise each and every attack. Great fun! The main game is very much still possible on EX Hard but where the game really jumps in difficulty is the post game dungeon, which is the same as from the base game, but also increases difficulty but further than the rest of EX Hard. And... its really tough. One wrong move and you could screw up your run (so watch out for that!) and even when you get the feel for the dungeon, the final fight in said dungeon is dramatically harder over his normal appearance (but to be fair, he was way too easy before). Makes for one heck of a finale, especially when he summons a team of his own! I'm all Yakuza'ed out for now, will take a break and get through a bit more of my backlog before I jump onto my Kenzan replay, so that I can finally fight Amon.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:46 pm

Streets of rage 4 - Well what do people expect? a 20 hour storymode?