What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Antiriad2097

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Thimbleweed Park is great, really enjoyed my time with it.

I finished Baobab's Mausoleum and Bulb Boy in the last week. Both very odd, but in different ways.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:43 pm

FINALLY finished Dead Cells. Although, it was after the patch, which everyone is commenting has made the game somewhat easier at base level.

Ah well .. after 14 attempts I finally beat the King's Hand (NO-ONE beats me 15 times in a row) :D

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Been working through the spyro games, missed them first time round. I enjoyed the first and third game but the second was a pain to get though. Easy platinums though.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:43 pm

The Way on Switch. It was ok. Could have been better, as it starts out as a decent Flashback style of game, but there's just too many instances of fiddly platforming where the controls show they're a bit clunky. Shame really as it spoiled an otherwise good game.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:50 am

Is that one worth getting? I saw it was on sale (something like £0.89?!), but guess it has to be worth the investment of time also.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:40 am

For the price, definitely worth a punt, it's hard not to get your money's worth for such a small sum. It isn't a long game, I finished it in just a few lunch breaks. The story isn't as strong as I hoped from the opening act, but there are some satisfying bits to it. Just a few bits that are let down by control response issues. Generally its broken down into smallish areas that need a particular task doing, flipping switches, getting stuff done in the right order to progress. The early part of the game is best I'd say. I'm not sure I even paid for it, I think I may have got it free with my points from buying other stuff. The most annoying bits for me came quite close to the end, tarnishing the memory of it somewhat, with two sections that required many attempts to clear.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:57 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:27 pm
Thimbleweed Park is great, really enjoyed my time with it.
Good to hear, hadn't heard much beyond the early hype. Should keep me busy in the evenings next trip.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:43 pm

Depends how long you're gone, it isn't a particularly lengthy game, took me maybe a dozen hours or so.

Jeremiah Jones

Post by Jeremiah Jones » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:10 am

Just completed Wargroove on Switch. Great game.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:54 am

Donut County on Switch. Very short and simple indie game (inspired by the Katamari games), but reasonably charming.

bartread

Post by bartread » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:27 pm

I finally finished the GTA 4 expansion, The Lost and the Damned. Only a decade late to that particular party. When I say finished, I mean the story, not 100% completion. Really enjoyed it: much more focussed than the main game, and actually a bit more mission variety. Also found bikes really fun to ride as Johnny, in contrast to Niko where I'd avoid bikes like the plague, and didn't really enjoy the few bike missions that there were. If you enjoyed GTA 4 but haven't tried the episodes yet, I'd highly recommend them. Can be picked up cheap, and are on Microsoft's backwards compatibility list so you can play them on Xbox One.

icemann

Post by icemann » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:37 am

Finally beat Hollow Knight. Best Metroidvania I've ever played. It's hard for me to o say that too as Castlevania SOTN is one of my favorite games of all time, and that had better music.

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:17 am

Completed Ghost Recon wildlands which gets a big Meh from me, its fine and plays well but just boring overall. Did just enough to get the bad ending (which is better than the good ending) and moved on.

Also completed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan which I thought was a pretty good game, really repetitive and the music wasn't great but there is fun to be had for sure. Not too long which is probably a good thing but the cartoon look is great and the cut scenes brought back memories from loving TMNT as a kid. If you can get it cheap then pick it up :yeah:

Finished Crash Bandicoot: Warped last night, pretty good game but having played all 3 quite close to each other I dont think this is the best. They tried to mix things up a bit with the vehicle sections but they didnt really work. The levels felt a lot more repetitive on this one too.

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:46 am

Completed a couple of Megadrive games this past week testing out my new controller and I'm loving go back to that console. Its so close between the MD and N64 as my favourite console.

Ghostbusters was a good little platformer that I've only ever played on the C64 before, enjoyed it and completed within one night without too much trouble.

Revenge of Shinobi was a little more tricky :) got to the final boss after a couple of hours playing it and got a game over which really annoyed me. Went back to it the next day (Drunk) and completed it within about an hour or so :). Plan on picking up a lot more MD games over the next few months and I think it will be the focus of my collecting for now.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:28 pm

I love the MD, it's my favourite console.
If you enjoyed Revenge of Shinobi I'd really recommend Shinobi III - Return of the Ninja Master - one of the best 16bit action games ever made IMHO. Shadow Dancer is good too.
One of my personal favourites is Ranger X. Not hugely long or difficult but it's extremely replayable and just great fun. Looks fantastic too.