What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:52 am

Finished Splatterhouse on the PS3 with all the photos and all the survival arenas beaten. Quite a fun game in the end even if it is very linear and repetitive but I'm not sure I'd sit through it again. The platforming and jumping bits were horrible though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed May 03, 2017 2:41 pm

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. Been meaning to play it for quite some time, but overall can't help but feel slightly disappointed. On the plus side, the story and voice acting are top notch and the environments look great. On the downside it's so lush and bright it's often not clear where to go, the camera is a constant pain and it's too easy to get pinned in the corner during combat. Controls feel stiff and there were times they just didn't do what I was telling them to. I'm still glad I played it, it just wasn't the classic I was hoping for

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed May 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Finished PS4 Odin Sphere what a mighty game! That book of fate boss gauntlet was quite annoying as you had to use certain characters and everybody could only be used once so I couldn't spam Mercedes & Gwendolyn the best characters.

Wonderboy HD with platinum easy game apart from mouse mans secret room
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed May 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Yesterday i completed Yooka-Laylee, good final boss, ending was funny but the credits, ARGH sooooo many backers listed even at full fast forward it took forever.

I now have no issue using Vendi's tonics to 100%the game.

I also finished another playthrough of fall of cybertron on ps3 as ive been in a bit of a transformers mood lately!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu May 25, 2017 3:06 am

Shinobi wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 5:07 pm
Finished PS4 Odin Sphere what a mighty game! That book of fate boss gauntlet was quite annoying as you had to use certain characters and everybody could only be used once so I couldn't spam Mercedes & Gwendolyn the best characters.

Wonderboy HD with platinum easy game apart from mouse mans secret room
That damn Mouse Man room was a pain in the ass. I think it took me more time to clear that room than the rest of the game! Only issue I had on hard mode was Mouse Man's dungeon, took me several attempts to clear since health drops were rare and a couple of those enemies hit hard. Boss was hilariously easy though. Beautiful game though, I really loved playing it through, excellent remaster.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri May 26, 2017 6:32 am

Finished Halo 2 Anniversary. Only on heroic but I CBA'd with Legendary and I was already starting
to bore of it. The level design really isn't very good (I prefer Combat Evolved and always have).

On to Halo 3!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun May 28, 2017 11:10 am

Virginia. On ps4 sale about an FBI agent. Didn't outstay it's welcome though got mega weird at the end!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon May 29, 2017 8:25 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 6:32 am
Finished Halo 2 Anniversary. Only on heroic but I CBA'd with Legendary and I was already starting
to bore of it. The level design really isn't very good (I prefer Combat Evolved and always have).

On to Halo 3!
2 is definitely the weakest of the series. Imo Reach had the best single player campaign (though CE is always tops for me, can't beat the nostalgia value).

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Wed May 31, 2017 3:55 pm

I've completed Nier: Automata. Well, at least I think I have - it has multiple endings but this one felt particularly "final".

Following Zelda: BOTW and Persona 5, both of which ate up vast amounts of my life, I couldn't imagine enjoying Nier: Automata even more, but y'know what? It's a close run thing, but I think I did ...

Three all-time favourites in one year ... great times for gaming.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:23 pm

Started back up on my goal of finishing all Capcom developed games. Finished two off this weekend:

Willow (Famicom). Its wants to be The Legend of Zelda so bad, its combat and graphics are actually pretty decent, what hurts the game (and boy does it hurt) is the absolutely awful dungeons/maps in this game. Its basically a maze (think Sabrewulf without the charm). Its impossible to know where you are going and where you need to go without a guide and even with one its still no fun. It also requires an insane amount of grinding to be able to finish the game - if your not a certain level when you face the final boss you are unable to beat it - as there is only one weapon that hurts the boss and that requires magic points - and you only have enough if you go over a certain level (and even then, if you miss a couple of times its game over). Not sure if its actually worse than the arcade version of Willow (which is a terrible side scrolling action game), but either way its best to just avoid both. Definitely not Capcoms finest hour...

Area 88 aka UN Squadron (Arcade). This is more like it, its a side scrolling shoot em up game that is fast paced and bloody good fun. I tweaked the difficulty a bit and it ended up being a pretty fair game in the end, a nice wide range of bosses to fight and a nice array of weapons to use. Definitely one of Capcom's better arcade shoot em ups, I'll give the Snes port a shot this week (pity the sequel remained arcade only).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:01 am

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - brutal difficulty spike on the last level, but still really enjoyed this game. Great controls and bags of character, will have to check out the rest of the series.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:06 am

Negative Creep wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:01 am
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - brutal difficulty spike on the last level, but still really enjoyed this game. Great controls and bags of character, will have to check out the rest of the series.
Yeah, the final level basically takes everything you acquired up to that point, and really challenged your skill. I loved it :mrgreen: The final boss was especially awesome, took me quite a while to nail down his attacks perfectly to beat him taking no damage...

I've not played Half Genie Hero yet but I have played Risky's Revenge and in my opinion its not as good as Pirate's Curse. The map sucks so its hard to understand where you are going, its far shorter and level design as a whole is nowhere near as good as Pirates Curse. Its still great fun though, I just though Pirates Curse was a clear step above it.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:19 am

The final boss was great but I must have died coming on 100 times getting through that tower, the bit where you had to run over the spikes was just ridiculous. Still loved the game though and will be playing through it again, getting HGH when funds allow

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:58 am

Finished off another Capcom game - this time the Super Famicom version of Area 88. Its very similar to the arcade version but you have limited selection over which order you do the levels in (more open up as you go) and some of the levels/bosses have been retooled. Its a great port that keeps close to the arcade version but still manages to do its own thing - the fast paced action is still there and I love the added freedom of choosing which ship and levels you go after. All round a solid port of an excellent game.

iprice

Post by iprice » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:18 pm

Finished off Steamworld Heist - I've had it ages, but only just got around to playing it. Another cracking Steamworld game that is just far too short.

Please Sir, can I have more?!

Hopefully Steamworld Dig 2 will be longer than Dig 1 and a sequel to Heist announced soon after Dig 2 releases. i don;t want much, just MOOOOOOOORE! :lol:
I fancy a nice hot cup of tea. Splash of milk. No sugar.