What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowMan

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:00 am

Couple of games finished this week: Doom and Yakuza 6 (import).

Doom is probably my favourite FPS in a long time. It just clicked with me more than any other FPS in years (that was not Destiny). Loved the incredibly fast pace, huge variety of classic monsters, excellent range of weapons (that all seemed useful in their own ways) and I also liked the length of the game - not too long but not to short either. And with a variety of challenges to clear I've been replaying a few levels just to complete a few bits I missed initially.

Yakuza 6 is a strange one. On the one hand the final boss kinda sucked in a plot sense, yet the build up and actual battle still managed to feel pretty epic... the gameplay itself was excellent, with the game really pushing the number of on screen enemies compared to previous entries in the series. Some mini games were missing (that were in previous entries) yet at the same time the game has a lot of great new content - getting Virtua Fighter 5 FS and Puyo Puyo in the arcade more than made up for exclusions like billiards or Shogi. The combat felt really satisfying, and I liked the new moves/heat moves you got, but I do wish you got a larger moves list in the game, and wish more weapons were included (never thought I'd actually miss modding...)
So its not the best Yakuza game ever, but I still enjoyed the heck out of it and will keep playing it for several more hours as I still have so much side content left to do!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:37 am

Uncharted 4.

I found the game a nice ending but a chore to play and it was a game i wanted to like most of all. The end fight was an anticlimax of button presses withoit really being the end boss in a sense.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:26 pm

Completed quite a few

Gravity Rush PS4 with Platinum love the art style and story, gameplay is near enough flawless spoilt by some fiddly controls and camera angels in the time trails
Shantae Half Genie Hero PS4 brilliant and looks lovely slightly to easy and a lot of backtracking
Shantae and the Pirate Curse on 3ds I saw this on original had to buy it finished the game but missed one pirate/Dingbat soul so can't fight the true last boss
Virtues Last Reward PS Vita
Zero Time Dilemmia PS Vita sequal to Virtue
Aragami PS4 sort off my hidden gem from last year Shinobi crossed with Tenchu with the art style and story visual of Majin.. Done every level as a ghost with total stealth the bosses you have to fight late into the game are annoying but the last boss She is impossibly hard to beat.. All your special moves only work on her once and then she dodges them and your forced to fight her in hand to hand, even though Aragami himself is useless close combat and the gameplay is basically stealth kills.. If I wall attack or drop attack her with the sword she reverses it and sticks her hand through my chest.. If I hide from her in the shadows and to try and stealth her you just see her hand go through your chest as she teleports behind you.. A game breaking last boss either that or I'm rubbish
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Finished my perma-death run on Deus Ex: Manind Divided. Absolutely brilliant game, just wish there was more of it! Shame breach mode is such sh!te, maybe if they'd left that out the story could have been longer...

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:24 pm

Rayne wrote:Finished my perma-death run on Deus Ex: Manind Divided. Absolutely brilliant game, just wish there was more of it! Shame breach mode is such sh!te, maybe if they'd left that out the story could have been longer...

But how else would they sell us their precious microtransactions?

Completed Dear Esther recently. Thought I'd hate it but despite the confusing narrative there was something about it that just drew me in. Going through it again listening to the developer's commentary was really interesting as well.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Finished Dark Souls + DLC today. Took me around 55 hours in the end. Loved it, some truly tough moments in the DLC (the boss fights are all suitably epic) but nothing I couldn't eventually handle. Definitely some of the best action games I've played. I've already picked up Dark Souls 2 for my PS4...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:11 pm

Star Fox Zero- Got all the medals this week. That "Don't get hit by anything" medal is no laughing matter....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:15 am

Murdered: Soul Suspect - I was expecting something very average but was pleasantly surprised. Having to investigate your own murder as a ghost is a good twist, it's well acted and has a suitably creepy atmosphere. A bit short, but still enjoyable

Thomas Was Alone - another one that I enjoyed more than I was expecting, managing to give a surprising amount of depth and character to a bunch of quadrilateral shapes. The extra jetpack levels are annoying though, with the tight levels feeling at odds with the momentum you carry

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:01 pm

GTA IV: The Lost and Damned - Finished the main GTA IV years ago but didn't get around to the expansions but I wish I had done so sooner. Really enjoyed the whole biker theme and the characters but the main plus was realising that in many ways, GTA IV is better than V. Car physics/handling is much more realistic, crash damage is also more detailed and realistic (in terms of how little you actually have to do to cave a corner in) and there are a lot of little details such as pedestrians opening the boots of their cars at the side of the street or the way shot enemies don't necessarily die immediately. I think GTA V is still the better game on an overall basis but I just love the urban atmosphere of IV and reckon it runs its successor much closer than many think/remember.

Also love how there are many slight variations of the same cars with different wheels, bodykits, levels of corrosion/damage etc. Again, I don't remember this being so common in V.

Just The Ballad of Gay Tony left to do now and I've heard it's the best part of the GTA IV 'series'.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:51 pm

Just finished the remake of Mickeys Castle of Illusion. Its not a game id like to revisit if im honest. The jumping was at times very finniky especially the running towards the screen boss and jumps that you have to get right first time or tge block you are standing on gives way. Mizrabels towers is an example of this...which then leads onto a hell of a frustrating end boss and an even more frustrating 40second unskippable cutscene before you fight her, if you die you face this 40srcond clip everytime....oh and youll die stupidly a lot, angles look deceivibg where you think you are going to land on a platform but jump under it and fall down a hole.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:27 am

Got the platinum on Zero Horizon Dawn think it's my game if the year really enjoyed it...

Also properly finished Gravity Rush 2 turns out the ending wasn't the proper ending.. Last level ruined the game first the Groundhog Day part with Kat in the Shroud/Gown and she can't use her powers and the same people asking you the same thing until(you examine the window) at night.. Then a puzzle section that was okay. Wait I can play as Raven who's much better to use, several unfair boss fights. Talk to people you don't give a damn about and it just ends..

The Syd, Raven and Alias story arc's makes no sense and still have no idea who Alias is under the Mask, or that racist little kid who sells his soul to Satan or the devil and goes round killing everybody.. Is Raven one of the missing kids from the first game

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:49 am

Layers of Fear on PS4. About a demented painter/horror story thing. Enjoyed it while it lasted and a few jump scares.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Shinobi wrote:Got the platinum on Zero Horizon Dawn think it's my game if the year really enjoyed it...

Also properly finished Gravity Rush 2 turns out the ending wasn't the proper ending.. Last level ruined the game first the Groundhog Day part with Kat in the Shroud/Gown and she can't use her powers and the same people asking you the same thing until(you examine the window) at night.. Then a puzzle section that was okay. Wait I can play as Raven who's much better to use, several unfair boss fights. Talk to people you don't give a damn about and it just ends..

The Syd, Raven and Alias story arc's makes no sense and still have no idea who Alias is under the Mask, or that racist little kid who sells his soul to Satan or the devil and goes round killing everybody.. Is Raven one of the missing kids from the first game
Play the free DLC that was just released to get more story on Raven, but they already went into her back story briefly in the first game. I disagree about the ending though, it was always supposed to be the end of Kat's story and the game did that, but Syds story is left ambiguous (basically it suggests that he is indeed Alias).

I did like the final bosses though, didn't have a problem with them myself since your ultimate form makes you wonderfully overpowered, and health is scattered everywhere. I think I beat the final, final boss on my first try...

But yeah, the groundhog day level did a brilliant job of drilling in the boredom Kat was feeling at the time. Worst section of the game for sure, I was glad when it was over.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:48 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Got the platinum on Zero Horizon Dawn think it's my game if the year really enjoyed it...

Play the free DLC that was just released to get more story on Raven, but they already went into her back story briefly in the first game. I disagree about the ending though, it was always supposed to be the end of Kat's story and the game did that, but Syds story is left ambiguous (basically it suggests that he is indeed Alias).

I did like the final bosses though, didn't have a problem with them myself since your ultimate form makes you wonderfully overpowered, and health is scattered everywhere. I think I beat the final, final boss on my first try...

But yeah, the groundhog day level did a brilliant job of drilling in the boredom Kat was feeling at the time. Worst section of the game for sure, I was glad when it was over.
That's what confuses me about Syd when Kat regains her memory during the flashback after solving the puzzles Syds.. One of the gods makes a vague reference to Syd but that's it. On the stealth section when Kat is trailing Alias and the guy from her flashback(he's a old man by this time) Alias says something along the lines off the Mask is keeping him alive.. When Queen Alua's nephew comes in with the Nevi god Satan, Alias try's to protect the old man, after he the old man murdered.. Alias appears to die a few times throughout Gravity Rush 1 after Kat kicks him off that building into the compactor you see his mask being crushed in the grinder.. The other Alias put his mask on to pretend to be him as he's Kats number 1 fan.. Beside Satan would have been Queen Alua's familiar..

That electric woman who cloned herself was really hard to beat so I had to turn the difficulty to easy, as for Satan he kept taking Kat's gravity powers and healing himself.. When you get the fight from Kats eyes and Satan tells her to expect his offer it seemed Kat accepts it..

The ending just annoyed me and cheapened Kats story pity Satan or Kali didn't kill that kid with the tude and his alcoholic old man he just blamed Kat for absolutely everything.. I hate the pair of them and Kali Angels sister.. Will get Ravens dlc can you play as Raven post game?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Finally got to 100% on GTA V. Finished the main story a couple of weeks ago - I'm not really into games post PS2 and am not very good but thought this wasn't too hard.

What was hard though was spending the last 2 weeks trying to do the bloody helicopter flight training, the knife flights and landing on the bridge to get a spaceship part :x

Enjoyed the final Strangers & Freaks mission, The Last One!!

So what next....have been trying GTA IV but it's feels wrong and driving seems really poor, guess I should have played it first!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward