What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ALK

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by ALK » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Castlevania- Finally, just like Ninja Gaiden a game in this series I finally beaten all the way through.

New Super Luigi U- After some pretty hard Superstar levels, wondering about to see if I really got every Secret Exit when the 5th star failed to show on my game file, then beating Nabbit a few times to earn it, 100%ed this challenging game....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:45 am

ALK wrote:Castlevania- Finally, just like Ninja Gaiden a game in this series I finally beaten all the way through.

New Super Luigi U- After some pretty hard Superstar levels, wondering about to see if I really got every Secret Exit when the 5th star failed to show on my game file, then beating Nabbit a few times to earn it, 100%ed this challenging game....
Two of my favourite games. I probably preferred Super Luigi U due to its shorter, more challenging levels compared with New Mario U.

Anyway, this weekend I played through two more Famicom games in my Capcom playthrough.

The first was Bionic Commando. Its excellent, everything I hoped it'd be. I enjoyed the arcade version a great deal but I prefer the NES version, its greater focus on platforming (swinging) is right in line with my tastes and the challenge is just right. Once you get the hang of swinging you won't want to put the game down.

The second game I finished today was Mega Man 2. Again. Not sure how many times I finished it now, but its still my favourite game ever and I doubt that'll ever changed. Perfectly balanced difficulty, level design and almost all of the bosses are well done (Air Man is debatable). Excellent soundtrack as well, not a bad tune in the game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:34 am

Finished the campaign on gears of war 4.Really enjoyed it.When you get Inside the giant mechs on the last act its awesome. :D
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:25 am

After years of indifference, I've finally finished the first episode of Commander Keen 1. I should have the remaining chapters complete in approximately 2084.

Platformers are not meant to be played with a keyboard.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:17 pm

Finally finally finished Deus Ex Mankind Divided after a whopping 57 hours. I must say I enjoyed most of it. I hoarded way too many Biocells as it turns out. The last level was a blast!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:57 pm

Finished off a couple more Capcom games - LED Storm and Strider.

LED Storm got some computer ports back in the late 80's/early 90's but never a console port, so I just played the arcade version via MAME. Interestingly enough you can also get a beta version of the game, which is completely finished and is quite different to the final version of the game (and in many ways better than the final version). Anyway, either version you play is pretty darn fun, its a top down racer/platformer that has you compete over 9 levels to win the most dangerous racing GP ever devised. Its got ace music, surprisingly solid and addictive gameplay, and the beta version has wonderfully detailed big sprites (which were culled for the final game for some bizarre reason). Its not quite a forgotten classic from Capcom, but I did enjoy it an awful lot, pity the arcade version was never included on either of Capcom's compilations they released for the PS2/Xbox

Strider needs no introduction really. I ended up completing it 3 times, as I had quite a few issues on my first playthrough so it took me a while to get back into the swing of the game. When I did get better at it I loved it! Its a great action platformer with some awesome levels and huge bosses. Only bit of the game I don't care for is the final level, goes from fun challenging to coin munching difficult... Now onto the Strider ports...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:30 pm

Played a couple more versions of Strider today - the Master System and Mega Drive versions...

The MS version is ok - its a bit annoying that there are no continues what so ever so you'll probably replay the game a couple of times before managing to see the ending. My main issue with the game is that it feels so slow, the first boss is painfully slow (it runs in slow motion). All the levels are there but there are so few enemies in the game... its basically a very scaled down port of the original. It was kinda fun but very limited.

The MD version is amazing. Looks and sounds brilliant and plays really fast and just like the arcade version. Only point in the game that annoyed me was the second half of the final level before the bosses (so the exact same part as the arcade version). I've only got the PC Engine version left to complete, but I know the PCE version is nowhere near as good as the MD version.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:58 am

South Park: The Stick Of Truth - Xbox 360. Made sure I played through all the side quests to see everything I possibly could. I've read a wiki on it now and found out about the Woodland Critters in the forest, will have to go and friend them and I'll be happy to say it's about as complete as I'm gonna get it.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:13 pm

Not exactly this week, but I got the Platinum trophy from Gal Gun: Double Peace. A fun and wacky game that runs absolutely terribly on the PS Vita. Continued replays and collectibles drove me insane, were I not the obsessive type I'd have put it back on the shelf long before I saw that trophy pop.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:33 pm

Sorcery on the AMSTRAD after all these years! No save states or cheats just playing a lot and dying until I finally learned it.. Very satisfied doesn't take long to complete when you know what your doing...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Titanfall 2. Such a fantastic campaign with so many neat ideas.

Buy it, play it, finish it, thank me, then get on the ridiculously good multiplayer.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:20 pm

Resident Evil 4 (Wii) - estimated to be the 14th time I have completed this game across Gamecube/Wii and it was still just as brilliant. The visuals are a bit smudgy and dated on this version now (but you get used to them quite quickly so it's no big issue) but the control is so damn intuitive and perfect that I'd struggle to play a pad-based version again now. Admittedly I used a save file that had been cleared many times so I had an infinite ammo Handcannon, Infinite Launcher and infinite Chicago Typewriter so it was the easiest run-through ever but the design, awesome cutscenes and satisfying shooting kept things entertaining. Also did Assignment Ada and Separate Ways again as well just for the hell of it.

Very tempted to do a Pro run-through next and actually finish it this time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:20 pm

More Strider played this week - I completed the Mega Drive version again as I wanted to polish off my run. I think I've got things down as good as I can do for now. Its an awesome port of an excellent game but that final level is really a killer.
Next up was the PC Engine version of Strider. Its an ok port... it was reportedly scrapped then rushed to completion on the CD format and it shows. The graphics are ok, but the scrolling is nowhere near as smooth as the MD port and that hurts the game. The extra level included in this port is ok, but very easy and nothing to write home about, what is good (and takes advantage of the CD format) is the music and cutscenes, which are greatly improved over the original version and look/sound great. As with the MD port the final level gets tweaked slightly and becomes a real pain in the ass to clear...

Lastly, the NES version of Strider which thankfully sidestepped the problem the Master System port had by not actually being an arcade port, but rather an original game. Its sort of a Metroidvania game - split up into stages but some have areas that can only be reached later when you get the right item/key card. The game itself is really fun and a nice use of the character, however the control does let the game down in places, with certain bits being a bit annoying to get past (triangle jumping/wall jumping sucks and I'm grateful that you only ever need to use it twice in the game!). Not as good as the arcade original, but still a nice fun side game.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:10 am

dead or alive dimensions (3ds)

finished it and wish i had finished it earlier, really good game and a bargain at £5 new from argos if you can get it

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:51 am

sbk07 for psp

sat in my 'sort of unplayed games' pile as had played it once when bought to check it worked and wasnt rubbish. completed it today, nice game and pretty cheap too