What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowNeku

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:17 pm

I finished Tomb Raider 3 on PS1 last week. Honestly hated it by the end, but refused to give up just because of how much time i'd invested into it. I must have died over a hundred times across the course of the entire game.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:02 am

Finally managed to beat Golden Axe III by using the Panther character (and spamming a few of his cheap special moves I'm ashamed to say!). Only got the standard ending but to face the true final boss, you need to get there with two continues still in the bank and after countless attempts, I have to conclude that to do so would be insanely difficult in single-player mode. Great game though and bizarrely slated by most!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:26 pm

Kai-Gi-Ki on the Megadrive 1cc'ed it on my first go was ridiculously easy.. Keep backing away from them throwing heavy punches 'C' -when the first punch connects they back off then walk into a second heavy punch and get floored rinse and repeat.. Last but one fight is a guy with a sickle and chain; thought he'd be hard one weak punch he's knocked out a la Electrocutioner from Batman Origins.. I thought the last boss was a woman some originality as I can think of only 3 belt scrollers with female last bosses; she just dropped food and left and you fight some old Teddy Boy.. Last 2 fights where the game easiest.. Then got a animated cut scene with a guy with a septic head eyeing you up whilst grabbing the woman's head and the skyscraper lights turn off to spell the end

Mega Twins Megadrive another easy 1cc as the coins now buy weapons and health..

A lot of Megadrive do seem too easy
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Finished off Slain again for a second time, this time going through beating bosses without taking damage. Its surprisingly fun, the bosses never really felt cheap or unfair, I probably had an easier time on it compared to a couple of points in Mighty No 9. Almost got all the trophies in the game now, but I've got the hardest stuff left to do (no death run, no magic run, beat the final boss in 3 minutes or less). Definitely one of the highlights of my gaming year though, its a brilliant action game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:52 am

Half Life 2 and Half Life Episode 2, which I'd never finished before.

Half Life 3 to be an NX exclusive?? That I'd like to see :-)
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:47 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Half Life 2 and Half Life Episode 2, which I'd never finished before.

So now do you see why we're so desperate for episode 3?!

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:46 pm

theantmeister wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:Half Life 2 and Half Life Episode 2, which I'd never finished before.

So now do you see why we're so desperate for episode 3?!
Oh I get that completely. I've loved the series since half life on the oc.. a Christmas present that I adored. Just never finished esp 2 because of the strides bit at the end which I struggled with... but not this time.

I'd love to see how the story ends .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Been busy this week, managed to finish the following games off:

Axiom Verge: Completed it 3 or so times, with subsequent replays being speed runs and sub 40% item runs. Its an excellent metroidvania game that feels almost perfect on the Vita (I have a few issues with the controls). Now I've just got a Hard mode run left to do.

Slain: Completed my no magic run, and boss perfect run (beating all bosses without taking damage). I love this game, it feels just like an old school 2D action game and has some beautiful graphics. Highly recommended.

Ghouls n Ghosts (Master System): Its good, if a bit on the slow side. I don't like a couple of the changes the game makes like forcing you to do a longer platforming section at the end of 2-1 (which usually ends in frustration), I certainly don't like the insanely long grind the game forces you through in order to face Loki (it takes 5 times as long basically to beat the game compared to any other version) and a couple of the early platforming sections feel a bit too precise for my liking (made easier on the replay if you have the boots upgrade) but the game still has all the content from the original game present and its still a pretty fun game in its own right.

Ghouls n Ghosts (Mega Drive): My favourite port. Its just right. It looks excellent for the most part, it runs sublimely and it feels "just right" in terms of difficulty (ok its still a pain at the end of level 5 but I've learned to live with that!) and sounds great as well. Its always a pleasure to play this game through, probably would have cleared it in record time if I'd not collected the damn axe powerup right at the end of the game...

Ghouls n Ghosts (Supergrafx): Had to emulate this one, as my console refuses to play the damn game. Its basically the arcade version except it doesn't sound quite as good, and has a bit of sprite flicker on the last level. Otherwise it looks slightly better than the MD version (but you wouldn't notice it if you didn't know what to look for) and its the only console version to give you limited continues (yay...) Otherwise its pretty much perfect, I still prefer the MD version because I really don't feel the slight upgrades you get from this port is worth the silly price of the console + game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:53 pm

How much did you pay for your copy on the Supergrafx.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:34 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:How much did you pay for your copy on the Supergrafx.
Around £250 I think. I spent a bit extra to get proper cables etc. as I didn't want cheap 3rd part cables. Mighty pissed off at that now, as while it does load most games, it doesn't load the damn game I want to play!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:43 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Around £250 I think. I spent a bit extra to get proper cables etc. as I didn't want cheap 3rd part cables. Mighty pissed off at that now, as while it does load most games, it doesn't load the damn game I want to play!
I meant the game itself.

I think we spoke about the issue with the game itself before. sadly having an original Supergrafx machine is the only way to play the Hucard.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:02 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
I meant the game itself.

I think we spoke about the issue with the game itself before. sadly having an original Supergrafx machine is the only way to play the Hucard.
Yeah, I know about requiring the original machine, which is what I have and it doesn't work :( I got the game for £130 brand new and sealed. After lots of testing on the game and console I can confirm its the console that's having the issues. Which is really annoying since the console is fairly expensive and its not like there are lots of games to get for it. I'll try and get the console fixed, but can't say I'll be picking another console up unless its cheap.

Alexlotl

Post by Alexlotl » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:55 am

I've just finished Phantasy Star 2, after about 20 years of trying, on and off. Grew up a huge fan of Phantasy Star 1 on the SMS, but the Mega Drive games passed me by - I didn't even know they existed until I dove into emulation on the PC in the mid 90s with Nesticle and Genecyst (and later KGen).

I immediately loved 4 and hated 3, but 2 was a tricky one. I didn't hate it - there was clearly a lot of what I loved about PS1 in there, and PS4 was so full of references to PS2 - but it was too damn hard, the top-down dungeons were both impossible to navigate and impossible to map, and so many bits felt janky and half finished.

20 years later, and things have got a bit better. I used a bugfix ROM patch which smooths off a lot of the rough edges, and the march of technology now means I can look at the dungeon maps on my iPhone while playing on my TV, something I couldn't do with the old DOS mode emulators!

That said, it's still rock hard, repetitive and pretty rushed and flawed. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than curious Phantasy Star 1 & 4 fans. I'm glad I've played it through to the end, but I'm also very glad it's over. The music is fantastic, though.

This is also the first game I've completed on my new retro setup (Japanese MD2, Framemeister, Mega Everdrive V2/X7), and it was all sweet as a nut. Next step is to acquire a soldering iron and fix the MD2's power jack and wire in a MegaAmp to fix the dodgy sound.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:39 pm

Gears of War 4-XB1-Hardcore-That was pretty awesome. Already on another run through co-op this time.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:38 am

Valkyria Chronicles HD second playthrough brilliant game just A ranking every level using Alysssa.. She's a tank anyway but unstoppable using the Alyssa rush(defence, Evade up and Awaken Potional orders)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"