What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:17 am

QuantumCrayons wrote:Just beat Zone of the Enders. Really short game (around 6 hours 30 for me on HARD), but really good. If I can find the second one cheap, will be really happy.
I really enjoyed that myself, loved the austere futuristic vibe it has. Ultra responsive to play too. I do have no 2 but that will get a playthrough soon.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:22 am

nakamura wrote:
QuantumCrayons wrote:Just beat Zone of the Enders. Really short game (around 6 hours 30 for me on HARD), but really good. If I can find the second one cheap, will be really happy.
I really enjoyed that myself, loved the austere futuristic vibe it has. Ultra responsive to play too. I do have no 2 but that will get a playthrough soon.
I felt the second was better in every way - better lead character, better story, better boss fights etc. It took everything about the original and made it better. Not to say I didn't like the first game, I just felt that it was a bit short and anticlimatic.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:44 am

theantmeister wrote:I just started this on the PS3. I'm struggling to hit those Tie Fighters, any suggestions? Mind you, it took me ages to finish that break the glass tutotial, so maybe I just suck at this :(
Just stick with it, and get a feel for which analog stick does 'forwards/backwards' and which analog stick does 'up/down'. With the TIE Fighters, you're better off grabbing boxes and either flicking them directly upwards at the undercarriages of the TIEs, or raising boxes, lining them up with the TIE's window and then flicking it back, then 'chucking' it forwards and letting go (much as you'd lob a big rock at a batch of undesirables).

On that bit you mention, all you've got to do is kill all the enemies (they don't respawn) so you're left alone in the room with loads of boxes n' stuff to 'practice' with and those TIEs just hanging on the roof, just begging to be destroyed, it's a good point to start learning that particular Jedi skill. ;) :D

Dramagod

Post by Dramagod » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Beat Portal included in The Orange Box for PS3. A really cool and refreshing puzzle game with great mood, humor and fine gameplay. It was a bit short but the difficulty got harder gradually and it didn't get boring at any point. In the last few levels you really had to scratch your brain to find out how to proceed. The ending was cryptic with a memorable setting. This was the kind of game I haven't really played before and it was a very nice experience. I highly recommend. From what I gather in the sequel the voice of Stephen Merchant can be heard throughout the game. So Portal 2 is a must play game for me. Just for this voice-work alone. Have to see The Oggmonster in action.

It was a shame there was no statistics after finishing the game. I always prefer to know how long it took me to beat the game, how many times I died and so on.

It was funny when [SPOILER]the computer that guides you throughout the game starts to lose it little by little and even babbles some nonsense about recepies at the end. It tells you you're going the wrong way and that you should just kill yourself. Reminded me more than a little of MGS2.
Hello. My name is La-li-lu-le-lo. Nice to meet you!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Bloody hell, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 on 360, didn't know it was only six hours long (and that's with a bit of OCD destruction/collecting!) Blimey. :shock:

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Dramagod wrote:So Portal 2 is a must play game for me. Just for this voice-work alone. Have to see The Oggmonster in action.
Glad to see you enjoyed the first game, thought it was great myself. :)

If you liked that, you're in for a massive treat with the second one too, played through it last year and it was one of my favourite games of 2011. There's also an excellent co-op mode that's seperate from the main single player game as well.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:49 am

firebreather wrote:finished a game, doesnt happen very often for me, Completed Dungeon Siege 3 yesterday, will probably play through again at a later date with a different character as there seems to be a location or two that i never visited.
Steve, I'm struggling a bit at the beginning, trying to beat those witches and bandits in the caverns. The game tells me I need more experience, is this what I should do?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:13 am

Saints Rows 1000g and all the cheevo's on that Professor Genki's Sexy Kitten thing, which was the sweetest 1000g I got.. I only ever finished 2 full price games with all achievements, Prince of Persia and Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper(and Saw apart from I never realised how to do the finishing move) I couldn't stop playing Saints Row and got the cheevo's out of interest and not necessity

Credit feed Starblade on the wii again determined to 1cc this!!!
Legend of Hero Tomma PC Engine 1cc this is easy!!
Hero on the Atari 2600 level 20 think this is the last level
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ewjim

Post by ewjim » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:47 am

Shinobi wrote:Saints Rows 1000g and all the cheevo's on that Professor Genki's Sexy Kitten thing, which was the sweetest 1000g I got.. I only ever finished 2 full price games with all achievements, Prince of Persia and Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper(and Saw apart from I never realised how to do the finishing move) I couldn't stop playing Saints Row and got the cheevo's out of interest and not necessity

Credit feed Starblade on the wii again determined to 1cc this!!!
Legend of Hero Tomma PC Engine 1cc this is easy!!
Hero on the Atari 2600 level 20 think this is the last level
well done there!! to your namesake, just got all the achievements on arcade shinobi on XBL. hard as balls that level 3 boss that spins when you hit it.... RAGE QUIIIT. Am chuffed ive done it all now though! Started on arkanoid on XBL now but the severs for online play are deader than fred wests house..

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:49 pm

bodycount ps3

Very repetitive, but i enjoyed it

I seem to remember it was written by some of the team who did Black????

Not as good as Black but considering you can get it for a fiver...bargain

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:02 am

Tales of the Abyss on 3DS

Its been a long time since i put 100 hours into an RPG. Very worth it though. Its got me interested in the Tales series as a whole now. Theres a "New Game +" feature with some bonuses for going back through it but i think i should move on to something else now.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:29 am

Last week I got through 3 games Sam & MAx Season 2, Pokemon Soul Silver and Sonic 4.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:20 pm

JazzFunk wrote:Bloody hell, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2 on 360, didn't know it was only six hours long (and that's with a bit of OCD destruction/collecting!) Blimey. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: same, I read it was a short game but 5 hours after starting I watched the credits roll. That was with one of the worst boss fights of any game ever plus a bunch of mediocre ones repeated over and over. I paid a tenner for it and felt short-changed, god help those that bought it new! :lol:

I've just completed Resistance 3 - FANTASTIC game. The campaign was hugely diverse with lots of changes of pace, it meant that every level felt a little bit different and at no point was I left feeling bored. Enemy AI is scarily good, I was constantly being out-flanked and shot down :oops: the change back to health packs forced me to play strategically rather than the usual 'tank' methods modern shooters employ. The range of weaponry was much better this time round, as was the main character. All in all, brilliant.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:00 pm

Today I finished off Burnout 3 and Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance.

Burnout is something I have been chipping away at for the last 18 months or so. Doing a race here and there every now and then. I completed all of the races with medals but not perhaps golds. I didn't do the crash events as they don't really interest me.

Baldurs Gate I have been working through the last couple of weeks and really enjoyed. I used the Archer and clocked it on normal in just over 10 hours. Beat the last boss easily!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

dste

Post by dste » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Within the past week I have finished Goldeneye Wii and Mario Kart DS.

Thought Goldeneye was alright but nothing special and enjoyed Mario Kart once I got into it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!