What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by necronom » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:16 pm

Uncharted 3. I got the Platinum a few hours ago, and I'm having a go at the Multi-player now.

A great game.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:43 pm

Crackdown, not the hardest game to complete again, but its fun

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:13 am

After 180+ hrs....Dark Souls (PS3).

Little dissapointed by the last segment, 4 bosses needed to be killed before reaching final boss were a walk over as was final boss and as the good ending cut scene rolled, thought, was that it?.

Great game in most places, but Demon's Souls by far the better game for myself.

1980-20..

Post by 1980-20.. » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:14 am

Shining force on the Megadrive, well ive almost completed it im on the last chapter but its not a particularly hard game so i dont foresee it being a problem, should be completed this evening.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:27 am

Psychonauts about a hour ago, brilliant game, not got 100% on it tho, I'll definately be playing through it again though to mop up the rest of the Steam achievements

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:49 pm

gears of war 2. Excellent fun and like the first one it has some excellent giant battles and great set pieces. My only complaints are the turret sections (hated them all) and the abundance of readers in the later half of the game, it was beginning to just frustrate me more than entertain me :( still can't understand how the final "boss" manages to be the easiest point in the game though!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:27 am

Gods on the Mega Drive. It doesn't have the awesome music of the Amiga version, but the pad makes it a hell of a lot easier to play than having to push up my faithful old cruiser joystick to jump.

richie freebird

Post by richie freebird » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:21 pm

I bought myself a brand spanking TV today, and after getting it home, went through a few games consoles to see how it looked, invariably good was the answer. Any how, when trying out my Sega Mega-CD system, I decided to give the crazy full motion video game Mighty Morphin Power Rangers a whirl.

It’s one of those games where a piece of film is played, in this case, Power Rangers clips, and commands come up on the screen, which you have to respond to, ie directional commands or punch, block and kick buttons. The film doesn’t alter a a result of what you press, but there is a power bar that goes down every time you get a command wrong or miss it completely. Sounds censored, I know but it was actually pretty fun. I’ve had the game a while but have only ever had a really brief shot.

The story starts from the inception of the Power Rangers team, and follows through the major story line from the first series – the Green Ranger. After you’ve defeated Goldar, Scorpina, and a Giant Tommy, the Green Ranger turns into a goodie and the day is saved. Hurrah, you’ve completed it.

Anyone played this obscure little gem?

And this bird you'll never change...

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:05 pm

haven't played the game but I recall wathing the show on GMTV!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:30 pm

^^^ I'm a big fan of the original 3 series' or so (before it went silly) so I think I'd really like this game. Isn't it one of the pricier MCD games though?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:21 pm

Finished the main story line to LA Noire Complete Edition, not really too sure if I am interested enough to go back and go all the street crime stuff, the story line was good the overall game felt a little last gen to me, the atmosphere was nowhere as good as Mafia 2 which was set in the same era.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:51 pm

Completed the Honest Hearts DLC on Fallout - New Vegas...and finally completed Halo 3 on Legendary. It didn't take me so long because of it being hard...I actually went through 3 discs! For some reason they seem to be prone to cracking from the middle...and not because of me taking them out of the box, as the last 2 were kept in CD slip cases....

Anyway, I got it done just before my latest copy bit the dust too! It won't load any part of the game at all now! :(

Still, at least it let me get the achievement before giving up the ghost...
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:03 pm

Finished Retro Game Challenge. Good thing I remembered I had it, I needed a short game to beat.

Dramagod

Post by Dramagod » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm

Syphon Filter. Finally! Here's my review that I posted in my tumblr profile. It contains major spoilers.

Often when people talk about Syphon Filter they mention Metal Gear Solid. And that's understandable. When I was playing the game Konami's game came to mind quite often. Here's a few instances. Snake has Mei Ling at the other end of his codec. Gabriel Logan has a woman called Lian Xing. There's a snow level where at the end you battle a helicopter on a roof top of a communications building. The enemy soldiers remind me of the genome soldiers but probably just because they dress the similar way. You know, like soldiers. When you're close to an item box a text appears that tells you what's in it. And later in the game you arrive to what you've thought was an abandoned missile silo but turns out there's an active nuclear missile (Shadow Moses anyone?) and the missile's launch sequence has already begun and you have to find the missile's self-destruct codes to disarm it. No keycards that react to temperatures though.

Belive it or not but there's a few things in Syphon Filter that Metal Gear Solid might've benefited from. The guards appear on your radar after you see them and the game is a lot more difficult than MGS. Other than that, Kojima's creation beats Syphon Filter in pretty much every other way. Especially the graphics, that in this game aren't that great. In the cutscenes Logan looks like the Lego version of Logan.

But Syphon Filter still has it's own thing going on and should not be considered merely a Metal Gear Solid clone. Here's what I think about the game.

The menus are easy to use and have a decent amount of options. For instance you can center the screen, inadvert the aim and turn the dualshock tremor on or off and there's a map of your location. You can restart the mission or load the previous checkpoint.

The voice acting in the game isn't that great and although Logan has a low and masculine voice, but he sounds lifeless and doesn't seem to have too many emotions no matter what happens.

There's 20 missions in the game and some variation to what you have to do. For example you need to dismantle warheads, inject patients with a syringe and use a viral scanner to mark contaminated bodies. There's very little twists in the story and this was disappointing. There's no "whoa!" -moments in the story at all. There is a post-credits scene that's worth mentioning but not worth explaining. It wasn't a phone call with the president.

The music is this fast electro stuff that's nothing memorable but suits the mood of the game and gives it the feel of urgency.

Gabriel Logan does have a decent amount of moves. He can run, strafe, roll, climb and sneak. The problem is that these moves aren't executed too well and the controls are the game's biggest problem. When Logan runs he runs like a madman who's shat his pants. Often when you're on a ledge and you try to turn, you run forward instead and fall to your certain death. It's especially annoying when you're trying to thread through a sea of fire. The game supports the analog sticks but Logan has only one speed of running and that's running like the wind.

The aiming in first-person-view is slow and taking headshots of a moving target isn't easy. And even though you could go guns blazing through most of the game, using stealth is much more enjoyable for me. When you see the text "headshot" above the enemy's head, you know it's time to pull the trigger. And you want to take the enemies down with the headshots because many of them are wearing flak-jackets that can take quite amount of damage. With headshots all you need is one bullet. You can also find and wear flak-jackets and these will be your best friends throughout the game. But you'll only get the enemy's flak-jacket if you kill him with a headshot. If you shoot his torso you'll destroy the jacket in the process. Thank god there's a lock-on and this is especially useful when the enemy is close and isn't wearing extra protection and you have a machine-gun or a shotgun at your grasp. But the lock-on feature isn't without its problems. It locks on to year nearest enemy and sometimes that enemy is behind you and as you start to shoot instead of turning around towards the enemy Logan will just shoot to the skies.

There's plenty of weapons in the game. Grenades, a silenced pistol, shotgun, sniper rifles and so on. But the coolest of all is the taser. Lock-on to an enemy, fire the taser, hold down the button and you can hear the enemy scream in pain as they set ablaze and get that Darkman tan for life. There's also a viral scanner that you're supposed to use during this one mission but it'll turn out practical later in the game because it allows you too see in pitch-black and you can see enemies through the walls. But there's nothing like the faint sound of a silencer and this was my weapon of choice most of time.

Changing weapons though is a pain in the ass. You'll equip the next weapon if you press the select button once but this is very slow or you can scroll the weapons if you hold it down and use the shoulder buttons but the problem with this is the game continues when you're doing this so often times you have a bullet in your head as you're shifting through weapons. And it's stupid that when you load a game you have to turn the inadverted aim off and it doesn't remember the choice when you save your game.

One nice thing in the game is that if you have you'r back against a wall the camera doesn't shift to bird's eye-view but Logan will turn transluscent. This turned out to be really practical at times.

The thing that haunts me the most after completing the game is how hard the game is. It's easier to pick up matches with your butt-cheeks than get through a level without dying once. Without exaggerating I must've died like 300-400 times during the course of the game. It starts off manageable with a high learning curve but turns near masochistic in the end. I'm sure it would've been easier to shoot your way through the levels but I took the stealthy approach and went for those headshots. If you're up against two or more enemies with shotguns and machine-guns you've got closer to zero per cent chance of surviving the confrontation. After each kill you pray the next check point would be close. Often times you have no idea where you're supposed to go and you're just running around trying to find where your next objective lies.

If there's one game where you learn through trial-and-error it's Syphon Filter. You know the game takes no censored when at the end of the game after a cut-scene you have maybe 3-4 seconds to run and roll under a blast door before the missile launches and if you stand still for just half a second you won't make it time and you'll burn alive. I learned what I'm supposed to do after dying dozen or so times but even when I knew where I'm supposed to run I still died closer to 20 times because I didn't run the straightest line. I mean when you're first playing the game, you're supposed to know you have to start holding the run before the actual game continues. That's just harsh. And when I thought I had cleared the final objective and finally finished the game, I'm thrown into a middle of a boss fight and before you even realise this, one second later the guy who stands 3 ft. from you shoots you with grenade launcher and you can almost hear someone scream "Snake! Snaaaake!". You don't even have time to change your weapon! Not even after 10 deaths because he's so close to you! You don't have time to run more than a few feet. I died maybe 30 times before realising you're supposed to throw a single smoke grenade to finish him. But I'm not complaining. I want games to give you a bit of a challenge. I'm just not into masochism.

I do have Syphon Filter 2 but I'm not ready to put myself through another sisyphian ordeal this soon after completing this one.
Hello. My name is La-li-lu-le-lo. Nice to meet you!

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:12 pm

I completed my first play-through of Star Fox 64 3D.

Yes, I know that isn't hard, but for some reason when I used to play this on th N64 I could never actually beat Andross. I did it first time on the remake, though. :D