What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

samhain81

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by samhain81 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:21 am

ShadowNeku wrote:Deus Ex Human Revolution for the third time. Bagged the full gamerscore for it. Played through it first normally, then as a complete pacifist and then as a mass murderer!

Im wondering if there are enough potential XP points in the game to get every upgrade. Taking out every enemy in the highest scoring way possible, hacking every terminal (and ensuring you get the XP datacubes in them), finding every secret location, completing every mission using the most rewarding method, Never setting off any alarms or alerting enemies. I may try it one day.

Thinking about moving on to Arcana Heart 3 and dedicating my time to get good at it.
wows, thats quite an accomplishment. Deux Ex is a great game.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:39 am

ShadowNeku wrote:Deus Ex Human Revolution for the third time. Bagged the full gamerscore for it. Played through it first normally, then as a complete pacifist and then as a mass murderer!

Im wondering if there are enough potential XP points in the game to get every upgrade. Taking out every enemy in the highest scoring way possible, hacking every terminal (and ensuring you get the XP datacubes in them), finding every secret location, completing every mission using the most rewarding method, Never setting off any alarms or alerting enemies. I may try it one day.
One of the developer interviews stated they designed the game so that you couldn't max out all the augs on one playthrough in order to make your choices matter but there does seem to be a lot of XP knocking about so maybe it's possible.
I'm still on my first playthrough where I've just been mixing up the stealth and combat whenever I feel like it. It's a game that can obviously stand repeated playthroughs if you concentrate solely on a single play style each time but the only rewards are Achievements/Trophies that I can see. Nothing in the game so far has indicated major differences in the game's outcome if you play differently. The game is so linear and with so little choice I just can't see the handful of different endings being worth an entirely stealthy non-lethal run. There's just too many other games out there to warrant spending that much time on this for just an Achievement. It's a quality game but it's more like a Splinter Cell than any of the previous Deus Ex games. Some genuine twists and turns would have been nice. Something that made the game really worth another play.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:47 am

Crunchy wrote: Nothing in the game so far has indicated major differences in the game's outcome if you play differently. The game is so linear and with so little choice I just can't see the handful of different endings being worth an entirely stealthy non-lethal run.
Indeed, the way you play doesnt often make a huge amount of difference to the outcome of any of the missions, as regardless of wether you kill everybody in your way or sneak past them, you still arrive at the same place with all four endings available. I find it funny how i slaughtered every last cop in the police station and nobody even commented on it! Its like, wasnt that a really bad thing to do!?

The appeal of multiple playthroughs for me was to see how the different decisions you make play out. Not to give away spoilers but certain characters can die within the story and therefore dont make an appearance later on, even if in terms of the big picture they dont effect the path you take. Deus Ex 1 was exactly the same so its not like theyve done it any differently.

I enjoyed it a whole lot anyway
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:00 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:
Crunchy wrote: Nothing in the game so far has indicated major differences in the game's outcome if you play differently. The game is so linear and with so little choice I just can't see the handful of different endings being worth an entirely stealthy non-lethal run.
Indeed, the way you play doesnt often make a huge amount of difference to the outcome of any of the missions, as regardless of wether you kill everybody in your way or sneak past them, you still arrive at the same place with all four endings available. I find it funny how i slaughtered every last cop in the police station and nobody even commented on it! Its like, wasnt that a really bad thing to do!?

The appeal of multiple playthroughs for me was to see how the different decisions you make play out. Not to give away spoilers but certain characters can die within the story and therefore dont make an appearance later on, even if in terms of the big picture they dont effect the path you take. Deus Ex 1 was exactly the same so its not like theyve done it any differently.

I enjoyed it a whole lot anyway
It's the fact that you end up in the same place no matter what you do that really weakens the game IMO. It's the curse of Achievements really. Nearly all the decisions in the game are about side missions and unlocking an Achievement. The gamercard reward system has been used as a substitute for story design. The ending a player should get for ghosting each level without killing anybody should be radically different to the one gained from slaughtering everybody. The whole game should play out differently right from the start. Especially the main plot. This isn't to single out Deus Ex, it's something that's becoming more prevalent in all games: the easy fallback of relying on Achievements and Trophies to pad the game out.
The attraction for story based video games for me is the ability to change what happens through my own interaction. That's the only thing worth playing them for. I can experience a far superior non-interactive story by reading a book. In a video game choice should matter. Otherwise the developers might as well not bother. It's a sad fact when a minor league game like Alpha Protocol murders the new Deus Ex in terms of character development and story interaction.

I'm enjoying it a whole lot anyway too btw. It's less than it could be though. A lot less.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:41 pm

Deadly Premonition finally!!! I still think the game would be impossible without the infinite Magnum and Sub Machine gun sidequests
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:53 pm

Bioshock for the PC. Great fun, the plasmids were the best part of the game for me, so many different ways to take out the hordes of splicers. My favourite was still the swarm of Killer Bee's. Seeing the enemies flail around while I took them out was priceless. The setting was pretty neat as well, the underwater setting made a nice change compared to other FPS's.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

llj

Post by llj » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Beat Wonder Boy in Monster World. I really don't think the final boss has an actual pattern. Anyone? It's just a matter of having enough life to survive the licks you take. If someone can beat the last boss without getting hit a ton, let me know how.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:01 pm

Just completed Crysis 2 on the PC

Very cinematic and a pretty good story.....

On to the multiplayer now :)

thl

Post by thl » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:37 pm

I completed Space Invaders Infinity Gene through three difficulties. The last boss didn't do that much as I finish it off with the field weapon. Incredibly fun game that I wouldn't mind going back to it as I need to unlock few bonus contents and trophies along the way.

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:30 am

Doom 2...

Took me about 2 weeks (on and off).

Now ploughing thru Doom, may also take in Doom 3 next.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:52 am

llj wrote:Beat Wonder Boy in Monster World. I really don't think the final boss has an actual pattern. Anyone? It's just a matter of having enough life to survive the licks you take. If someone can beat the last boss without getting hit a ton, let me know how.
Nope! Between trying to dodge the saw, the lasers cannons, the homing laser beams and trying to ensure you jump close enough to hit the boss without throwing yourself into him (since the conveyor belt makes it incredibly difficult to measure tghe jump) you just have to take the hits.
Using the lightning magic temporarily deals with the lasers and strength magic can make killing him faster but you still take a whole lotta damage :(
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 am

Dead Space for the iPhone. Technically impressive - it looks excellent and emulates the gameplay of the console versions pretty well. Too bad that its incredibly tedious and boring after about chapter 5 - walk down corridors, enter big room, fight endless legions of enemies to unlock door (no word of lie, the last 7 or so chapters follow this template to the letter).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

retro-play-uk

Post by retro-play-uk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:38 am

Kirby's Epic Yarn a bit easy, don't think it was made for my age :? looking forward to the new Kirby on the Wii that was shown at E3...

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Megadrive Cool Spot, via PSP Picodrive emulation.

I couldn't get anywhere on this back in the day. Maybe I'm more patient in my old age :)
Thoughts and prayers.

doogs

Post by doogs » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:36 am

Half Life 2 : Episode 1 and Episode 2 now finished in the xbox.
That last bit on Episode 2 took me ages though!!