What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Montytom

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by Montytom » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:46 am

Battlefied 3 enjoyed the story pretty engaging i thought

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:30 pm

the sniper 2-ps2-a very strange game laid out like a Japanese anime with one character that looks a bit like sephiroth and another like aeris,there are a couple of alternate scenes and a true ending i missed but i can't be bothered to play it any more.it's very dull.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:29 am

Kolibri (32x)
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

charismaslover

Post by charismaslover » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Journey (PS3) - Amazing experience from start to finish, the controls are kept simple with a jump button and a communication button along with the sticks for movement and completely works in its favour. If you are lucky enough to have another player join you on the journey then you get a sense of attachment and camaraderie that galvanises you to keep on and explore together. The soundtrack is also a high point and helps reinforce the emotional connection to the visuals.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:20 pm

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Although I'll never 100% it I've finished the main story arc and explored a big chunk of Fallout 3. It's excellent but for me one of the NCPs, when describing some place elsewhere, hit the nail on the head; "It's mosly just destroyed nothing" meaning once you get over how remarkable the nulcear waste landscape looks it gets repetitive. Also, it'd very rare to find anything really remarkable outside of the main storyarc which seems strange in a game that encourages you to explore. The hidden places rarely carry anything other than more routine supplies, which I had tonnes of, and were either just more of the same derelict nothing or only aluded to interesting goings-on. The other, usually derelict, vaults were a perfect example; the odd computer terminal that hinted as to why the vault failed (usually due to the parent company, Vault-Tec, using the situation to perform appalling experiments on the captive residents) and some ammo 'n' whatnot and that would be it. It's very rare for me to think so but I felt it could have used more exposition; maybe more of the System/Bio Shock style logs that were here and there.

Also a minor gripe but I reckon it could really have used weather cycles, same as it has day/night and a pukka system that tracks the passing of time.
How cool would it have been to be forced to battle a random group of raiders for control of a random building when seeking shelter from irradiated rainfall ?

Edit: I've still got a few of the expansions to plough through but I'll take a break for a while before going back and trying a few different things.

sir_beaker

Post by sir_beaker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Ninja Cop.... £100 for just over 3 hours of game play and I wouldn't say there's too much in the way of replay value.... the end screen suggests is would be continued - did they ever/do they plan to make a follow up?

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Bioshock on hard mode - coincidentally 4 year to the day after I last completed it. Knowing the now famous twist didn't diminish anything, and it's fun to look for the signs. Although the character models now appear dated the overall look of the game is still great, and whilst it's not scary, it can be creepy at times. Main problem is the infinite lives, and with it being so hard ot avoid damage the temptation to just switch to a war of attrition is often too great

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Nice thoughts Negative Creep and ones I share. I wanted to love the game but despite so many fantastic elements, I didn't find it that good to play overall.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:36 pm

I would usualy resort to repeated resurrections too. Never seemed to be a problem with System Shock 2...

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:46 pm

Violent Storm some credit feeding and 1 cc'ed Golden Axe
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

KM*

Post by KM* » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Riviera: The Promised Land
Tower of Heaven
Contra: Hard Corps

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Bioshock on hard mode - coincidentally 4 year to the day after I last completed it. Knowing the now famous twist didn't diminish anything, and it's fun to look for the signs. Although the character models now appear dated the overall look of the game is still great, and whilst it's not scary, it can be creepy at times. Main problem is the infinite lives, and with it being so hard ot avoid damage the temptation to just switch to a war of attrition is often too great
I actually hated those resurrection chambers as you were brought back but with the exact ammo you had when you were killed so if getting past a tough area was hard before you died, it was even harder with depleted ammo reserves. I found it easier to just abuse the 'save anywhere' function and save before difficult-looking areas (or just before taking on a Big Daddy), reloading instantly if I died. I did the same with Doom 3 too if I remember.

Brilliant game all the same though. I expected it to be overrated rubbish but I actually loved the design and atmosphere.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:41 pm

I completed the Walking Dead video game. The story-telling was absolutely superb, one of the best I have ever played in any game. Most importantly it was delivered tastefully & believably. The characters were relatable, the voice work was superb and the plot was tense as hell.

Gameplay was brilliant, enough to compliment the story without ever being difficult enough to bring it to a halt and force me to look for a guide.

Performance issues plagued it throughout, slowdown, weird glitches but they're all totally forgivable.

The only thing that really frustrates me is the complete lack of control. Though TellTale claim that the story is shaped to your choices, it couldn't be further from the truth. Choices are almost always superficial and often give you the same outcome (this was most obvious in the infamous 3rd episode!).

Even then I can forgive the above though because in the end the story plays out brilliantly :) a strong contender for a GOTY award, certainly one of the best (if not the best) I've played all year

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:07 pm