What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shinobi

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by Shinobi » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Lollipop Chainsaw what a awesome short but incredibly funny, got the bad ending as well.. I found the last Boss a bit annoying dying on that quick time event and having to replay his previous 3 forms...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:09 pm

LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:51 pm

F.E.A.R. 2 on 360. Loved the first game and the add-on compilation, like the way Monolith FPSes play, this is still a quality, super-playable game (like the first) but this kinda accentuates all the crap things about Monolith's games, plus it doesn't feel quite as 'pointed' to play as the first, the bullet mechanics feel really blobby, you never really get that type of satisfaction here. Plus, you get lots of dark and you get the following:

- A partially destroyed underground subway train system

- A hospital

- A partially destroyed city with lots of rubble/damaged cars

- A huge, subterranean, 'diagonal' lift that descends towards a mysterious lab, at a diagonal wonk

- A mysterious lab (that is - as always - much less interesting than it initially sounds)

- A sinister school section with school-type accoutrements that attempt to channel a "creepy school" atmos (but fail)

- Underground tunnels in general.

- 'Scary' toilets that aren't scary

- Enemies that look *exactly* like your teammates (key word: 'armour'), 'cept they're wearing full-face helmets.

Wrap all the above up a shitload of unscary, highly unoriginal J-Horror 'little scary girl' interludes, and environments that somehow make the practically Steve 'Interesting' Davis-style genero-levels of the first game seem pretty bloody scintillating, and you get a f*cking boring game...albeit one that still plays really bloody well....bit of a Carol Vorderman-on-a-bad-day type of thing going on here.

Currently playing the sequel and - having been slightly wary due to several bad reviews - I'm really thinking it feels pretty great. Not far enough in yet to comment deeply on this game's quality, however.

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:53 am

Shinobi wrote:
Sixteen Plus wrote:Commodore 16/Plus4 - Tom Thumb - Longplay

My favourite game of all time.
Just been watching your long play, I never got past those doors of flame let alone a key.. Can't believe how big that game is I always thought it would be quite short, about halfway through massive game, never knew there was back tracking..

I'd love to see you Longplay Pharaohs Curse or Ghost Town.. Played Ghost Town the other night got past the tell me the password rooms thanks to the interweb.. Killed 'Belgravo' or whatever that vampire is called still can't get the treasure, the guide doesn't say how either.. Don't think I will ever finish that game
Might have a look at those games in the future. I generally don't like to cheat when I do longplays, I'll probably make more exceptions though once I've achieved all I can without cheats, just to keep the youtube page going.

Regarding Ghost Town. Have you ever seen the solution map?
http://plus4world.powweb.com/dl/maps/gh ... wn_map.gif

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Shinobi wrote:Lollipop Chainsaw what a awesome short but incredibly funny, got the bad ending as well.. I found the last Boss a bit annoying dying on that quick time event and having to replay his previous 3 forms...
How do you get the bad ending? I completed it on normal and also hard and got the same ending which the game tells me is the 'happy ending'.

I completed my hard mode playthrough last night and had to repeat that last boss again too. I got to the bit where you cut his fingers off with the R2 button (PS3 controls obviously) but then I forgot that there was a QTE after that and wasn't fast enough :(
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Okami, at long last! Wonderful game and well worth the 35 hours(!) that it took to beat. Now, to save up for Okamiden :D

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:17 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Lollipop Chainsaw what a awesome short but incredibly funny, got the bad ending as well.. I found the last Boss a bit annoying dying on that quick time event and having to replay his previous 3 forms...
How do you get the bad ending? I completed it on normal and also hard and got the same ending which the game tells me is the 'happy ending'.

I completed my hard mode playthrough last night and had to repeat that last boss again too. I got to the bit where you cut his fingers off with the R2 button (PS3 controls obviously) but then I forgot that there was a QTE after that and wasn't fast enough :(
I got the bad ending by not saving all the survivors (I believe). I'm now going back through saving them all to get the good ending. I'm not sure how you'd get the bad ending after getting the good one though...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:24 pm

ShadowMan wrote:I got the bad ending by not saving all the survivors (I believe). I'm now going back through saving them all to get the good ending. I'm not sure how you'd get the bad ending after getting the good one though...
Hmm... I saved them all on my first run-through but playing the stages again on a higher difficulty doesn't seem to count as another run so I could be buggered. I know I didn't save them all on hard mode but even after completing all of the stages that way, I still got the good ending :?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:35 pm

QuantumCrayons wrote:Okami, at long last! Wonderful game and well worth the 35 hours(!) that it took to beat. Now, to save up for Okamiden :D
Got my Okamiden for £15, seems to have come down in price a bit.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Need for Speed: Most Wanted on 360.

To be honest I stopped having fun with it after getting somewhere around 8 on the black list but after putting so much time into it I just had to finish it. I had to resort to the bus station glitch many times to outrun the cops and get big bounty as it becomes incredibly hard to evade level 4/5 pursuits... It's all worth it for the amazingly cheesy FMV though!

You can tell its one of those cross generation games as the graphics and frame rate are pretty terrible and the car handling sucks untill you start applying the ultimate upgrade packages late in the game.

So anyway I'm ready for Criterions take on the game later this year, it looks amazing.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Megamixer wrote:

I failed to save two kids after beating 'Rocker Billy' it said "Bad ending try saving all Juliette's Class Mates"(its a evil ending compared to the rest of the game).. Played through on hard for Lollipops and named Zombies and saved those two kids; beat 'Rocker Billy' the second time with all the kids saved got the good ending..

I also got the achievements on 'Vike' by accident.. His legs kick Juliette of his Viking Shop, cue quick time event as he stamps on Juliette'ss Hands and achievement.. it seems all the Bosses have a second achievement, I got one from the Hippy Woman from avoiding her bubbles, and Papa Shango by killing him in the last 10 seconds.. I think Zed's is dodging his boomerang'...
Last edited by Shinobi on Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Sixteen Plus wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Sixteen Plus wrote:Commodore 16/Plus4 - Tom Thumb - Longplay

My favourite game of all time.
Just been watching your long play, I never got past those doors of flame let alone a key.. Can't believe how big that game is I always thought it would be quite short, about halfway through massive game, never knew there was back tracking..

I'd love to see you Longplay Pharaohs Curse or Ghost Town.. Played Ghost Town the other night got past the tell me the password rooms thanks to the interweb.. Killed 'Belgravo' or whatever that vampire is called still can't get the treasure, the guide doesn't say how either.. Don't think I will ever finish that game
Might have a look at those games in the future. I generally don't like to cheat when I do longplays, I'll probably make more exceptions though once I've achieved all I can without cheats, just to keep the youtube page going.

Regarding Ghost Town. Have you ever seen the solution map?
http://plus4world.powweb.com/dl/maps/gh ... wn_map.gif
Been following that guide but can't find the key in the Bottle, I'm assuming you may have to backtrack after 'Belgravo' is killed.. Wither that or its invisible like the snorkel :evil: I will finish that game eventually..

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:23 am

Shinobi wrote:I also got the achievements on 'Vike' by accident.. His legs kick Juliette of his Viking Shop, cue quick time event and achievement..
So that's how you trigger the qte. I've tried 3 times to get that but didn't realise it only triggers when you get kicked off the ship, usually I'm trying my best to not get hit!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Just finished Alan Wake's American Nightmare. Still watching the "Balance Slays the Demon" video. Awesome.
This is a videogame. Screw Nintendo and the Wii, Kinect, Move and all that s**t.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:42 pm

House of the Dead Overkill on Wii. Short, easy, silly, but good fun whilst it lasts