What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by nakamura » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:25 am

Area 51 on PS2. A very mixed experience overall.
Great subject matter and fresh setting but ruined with some poor execution, enemies are far too accurate to allow any kind of strategy in play. You cannot ever take cover as they always charge at you. Guns feel innaccurate due to the vibration used when shooting, though I like the effect, coupled with the accurate enemies made for some frustrating sections.
Some of the levels were very cool though and infitrating an alien base, albeit a cliched one was very exciting.
Overall it was a solid experience, not the 9/10 it was getting on release though.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:48 am

i completed Braid last night, very pleased to have finally done it!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:39 am

Ghost Trick for the DS. Probably one of my favourite DS games, its nice and different from pretty much any other game I've played in recent memory with well thought out puzzles, a great story and some nice animation/graphics.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:46 am

Ive been rather busy this week, Ive completed infamous as a hero and god of war 2 and 3 :D .

Eat your nans pants

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:41 am

Need for Speed Shift Unleashed. Dirt 3 now awaits 8)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

necronom

Post by necronom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:25 am

I've just got the Platinum Trophy on Dead Nation :D It was REALLY difficult in places, but a fantastic game, especially as I got it for nothing.

I'll have to start my other free game, Infamous, next. I've heard good things about it.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:31 am

Megaman for the Game Gear. An ok port of a good game, it takes bits from Megaman 2, 4 and 5. Its perfectly playable and I had fun completing it again on hard mode but I did notice several problems - most noticeably the screensize of the Game Gear did not suit the game, its to zoomed in making certain bosses and jumps tougher than they should be. The game has been sped up compared to the NES games making the bosses tougher (and not always in a good way!), attacks become harder to avoid etc.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:45 pm

Mass Effect, astonishingly good.

GamingWeston

Post by GamingWeston » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:20 pm

I completed Blur, it was a bit boring but no matter
My own handpicked collection of flash games: Free Online Flash Games

dste

Post by dste » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:06 am

Completed Peter Jackson's King Kong on the Cube yesterday.

Thought it was quite enjoyable and definitely worth picking up on the cheap.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:54 am

Completed Call Of Duty - Modern Warfare on the Easy setting, which didn't take long at all! Still, found the game good after avoiding the Call Of Duty games for so long...so much so that I've just bought World At War too...
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:39 am

Completed New Super Mario Bros Wii after forcing meself though it, up to world 7 the game is kinda dull.
Beat guardian heroes by taking the most direct, straight forward path, might play again soon.
Finally beat Mountain on the sega saturn verson of Sega Rally.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:02 pm

necronom wrote:I've just got the Platinum Trophy on Dead Nation :D It was REALLY difficult in places, but a fantastic game, especially as I got it for nothing.

I'll have to start my other free game, Infamous, next. I've heard good things about it.
Its a very good game and well worth your time. Especially when it costs nothing.

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Just finished Rogue Trooper on the Wii tonight.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:35 pm

I finished Hunted: The Demon's Forge this afternoon. With so much time spent talking about the really exceptional games on these forums, what constitutes greatness in games and so on, it's interesting that I've spent much of this weekend playing a game that is unlikely to be remembered as anything of the sort. Yet it was fun - sometimes very good fun indeed, with a few nice puzzles thrown into an otherwise combat-orientated game. There's magic there to lend a little bit of spice to the combat encounters, though once you've worked out what you should hit with frost, what you should hit with lightning, etc., the interest fades, and to be honest the final Chapter wasn't as enthralling as earlier ones. And the craic between the protagonists begins to pale, too - there's only a limited amount of repartee between the two protagonists, and once you've heard them quote the stock lines for the various situations, they just repeat themselves. I suppose that is the consequence of having a limited budget and I think within this the development team have done a bloody good job really.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)