What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Crunchy

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by Crunchy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:21 am

Alice: The Madness Returns on 360.

The levels are just too long, the small amount of platforming elements are squeezed totally dry so by the end the game felt needlessly repetitive and I really just wanted it over. The constant repeating of joyless mini games got on my nerves. The combat is crippled by a poor targeting system and camera.

That said, the story is nicely dark. The game looks very good and runs smoothly. There's a lot of good level design on offer too. It's just a pity the designers had to rely on recycling the same handful of game mechanics to give the game its length. To their credit they've been inventive with what they had but it definitely compromised the overall experience for me. The combat works great until you're up against enemies in numbers. The lock-on target feature really works against you when it should be helping.

Despite its flaws this is the best 3D platformer on the 360. Not that there's many to choose from, of course. If it wasn't for the artificial length of the game I'd say it was a decent platformer for people who don't normally like them. It's easier than most games of this type, and therefore can be considered an entry level game IMO, but the extended nature of it will absolutely annoy your tits off. To say the game drags on is putting it mildly.

Liked it. Too drawn out to be a classic but it's worth a buy now the price is low.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Just beat megaman zero. 1 down, 3 increasingly hard sequels to go.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:25 pm

Three weeks and seventeen game crashes later (yes, I was counting) I've finally finished Majora's Mask! Well, missing one heart container. The last boss was ridiculously easy, literally took me less than a minute to kill all of his stages, but apparently that's because I had all the masks. Without the final mask, he apparently has time to attack you.

Spirit Tracks or WindWaker next, haven't decided.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Dunjohn wrote:Three weeks and seventeen game crashes later (yes, I was counting) I've finally finished Majora's Mask! Well, missing one heart container. The last boss was ridiculously easy, literally took me less than a minute to kill all of his stages, but apparently that's because I had all the masks. Without the final mask, he apparently has time to attack you.

It is incredibly easy with "that mask", even if it does make you feel incredibly awesome. Next time i play through i wont bother with it just to let myself take on a challenge.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:32 am

Dunjohn wrote:Three weeks and seventeen game crashes later (yes, I was counting) I've finally finished Majora's Mask! Well, missing one heart container. The last boss was ridiculously easy, literally took me less than a minute to kill all of his stages, but apparently that's because I had all the masks. Without the final mask, he apparently has time to attack you.

Were those crashes due to you playing the gamecube disc version (free with double dash bundle) 'cos mine crashed a cupple of times near the beginning and I haven't played it since. That game is just too tough to risk further crashes. I might just get the VC version, saves me trailing a gamecube/trip-wire across the thoroughfare of the living room.

Like you say though, if you get all the masks-which is the most fun I've ever had "100%ing" a game-that final boss is supa easy. I've got some pretty dark memories about that 3rd water temple though.

I've not played Spirit Tracks after finding Phantom Hourglass a bit... not-so-good (I'm not a DS fan mind), though my friend says Spirit Tracks is better with some clever dungeon design. Finished Windwaker again not too long ago and absolutely loved it, it's in my top three zelda's, undoubtedly :)
Chazz it up!!!

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:31 am

It was the collector's edition that came with Wind Waker. Fortunately, I don't remember it ever crashing in the middle of a dungeon, so I could do those and then immediately reset the timeline, which would auto-save. I think all the crashes occured while moving from one overworld section to another, such as entering a cave, or an area tunnel like the ones blocked by oktoroks in the swamp.

I'm not too fond of Spirit Tracks either, it and Phantom Hourglass don't feel like "proper" Zeldas. They're Zelda-lite. I've gone with Link to the Past.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Finished Arcade Final Fight losing only 3 lives so technically completed it on japanese defaults, at least I can consitantely 1cc it
Child of Eden normal mode rather easy
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:20 pm

Dunjohn wrote:It was the collector's edition that came with Wind Waker. Fortunately, I don't remember it ever crashing in the middle of a dungeon, so I could do those and then immediately reset the timeline, which would auto-save. I think all the crashes occured while moving from one overworld section to another, such as entering a cave, or an area tunnel like the ones blocked by oktoroks in the swamp.

I'm not too fond of Spirit Tracks either, it and Phantom Hourglass don't feel like "proper" Zeldas. They're Zelda-lite. I've gone with Link to the Past.
Nice to see the Zelda love. I am on Minish Cap at the moment and I highly recommend it.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:06 pm

Sonic The Hedgehog-MD. With all the Sonic love in the latest mag, I've decided to go back through the MD games. The first is still as much fun as ever, and it looks gorgeous emulated on the Caanoo.

Sonic 2-MD. A good game but I don't like it as much as the 1st. On to Sonic 3 tomorrow, which I don't think i've ever completed.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:15 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:Today, I have finished Broken Sword 2 Remaster Edition from GOG.Com. Although, it is a great game, I do not think the story and puzzles are as good as BS1....only BS3 and BS4 to go!
I do hope you're playing Broken Sword 2.5 in there as well... :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:18 pm

Nights.
On the Saturn stick. the results where pleasing on my hands
Well it has been a few years.

One day ill do the Wii version

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:23 pm

nakamura wrote:
Dunjohn wrote:It was the collector's edition that came with Wind Waker. Fortunately, I don't remember it ever crashing in the middle of a dungeon, so I could do those and then immediately reset the timeline, which would auto-save. I think all the crashes occured while moving from one overworld section to another, such as entering a cave, or an area tunnel like the ones blocked by oktoroks in the swamp.

Nice to see the Zelda love. I am on Minish Cap at the moment and I highly recommend it.
Minish Cap looks cool and I really need some games for my GBA, it's getting no playtime whatsoever. Have you played either of the oracle games? They look similar to Link's Awakening which is certainly a good thing.
Chazz it up!!!

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:07 pm

I have Oracle of Ages and played it to the end a couple of years ago. It is good, it has the Link's Awakening vibe but with a lot of progress evident. My only beef with it was that it had a rather tiresome final boss stretch, and the collection element is larger than most Zelda games. I never found a copy of Seasons to use it with.

The cartridge is helpfully transparent so I can see the 2009 expiry date on the battery. Not sure what that will mean as I can't find my GBA at the moment. Keep it in mind if you're thinking of buying.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:32 pm

Finished The Darkness (360) a few hours back. Didn't *love* it because the game mechanics become repetitive quite quickly and the blur effect sucks but really liked it, it's a very classy title full of neat little touches and has a great atmos throughout, plus has a perfect length, about 10-15hrs in bursts, not too short, not too long. Thought the main character was ace, and loved the clutch of elderly gangsters you rub shoulders with (this game has great voice acting, bar maybe the English voices in the 'trench' sections...).

Another nice touch were extras unlocked throughout the game, they were actually worth spending some time with. Unlocked several full comics and a documentary about the grafitti used in the game, all very interesting, god knows what I missed.

Currently on Wet, seem to be almost halfway through it after a couple of hours of play!!! :shock:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:08 pm

Cosmic Smash - superb, but 12 minutes from turning the Dreamcast on to seeing the end credits. Sega could have at least TRIED to prolong the lifespan for the home version!