What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by Rayne » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:51 pm

Completed the main story for Yakuza 4, I can't remember the last time I was so gripped by a game. The story was so melodramatic and complex it couldn't help but drag me in, add to that the Japanese setting and mountain of distracting mini-games and sub-stories and you have a game that I should have paid £40 for on release, not gotten for free off Mootown (again, thank you!!)

I've got more mini-games to polish off and then I need to beat it twice over for the Platinum trophy, which I might just do :) 43 hours in and I still haven't had enough of it

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Medal of Honor on the ps3 - very short single player, but very very good.......

Might get cracking on the original MOH now.....

William S

Post by William S » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Just finished Syberia 2. Enjoyed it even more than the first one.
As with Syberia 1, there are a few cringeworthy mistakes here and there in the game, but still a great game.
ImageImageImage

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:45 am

Just finishd Chrono Trigger on the DS, well finally beat Lavos anyway. I must confess I did use a guide for the trickier boss fights. I don't have the time and paitence to learn how to defeat them the hard way. :oops:

Really enjoyed it. I'm not certain whether I'll ever playthrough it again with so much else to play, plus turn-based RPGs are't really my thing. However I'm glad I experienced it at least once, I thought it lived up to the hype.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:17 am

Haha I had a crunch session and finished Doom3. Thank fook that's over but I had to get it out of my system.

skylarking

Post by skylarking » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:33 am

Dragon Age: Origins (main game plus Leliana's Song). Still have Awakenings and all the other DLC to do though.
ENTER IF YOU DARE
PRESS ANY KEY

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:34 am

Symphony of the Night, really enjoyed it. It still looks absolutely fantastic, some amazing back drops and the castle is a joy to explore. Shame it flopped back in the day. Now its time to complete Resi 4.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:40 am

Red Faction: Armageddon. I thought this was going to be a more snad-box type game like Gerilla, but it's a linear 3rd person action game. Fortunately the weapon selection makes this highly enjoyable to play, with some weapons causing absolute carnage without feeling overpowered.

The move to a new type of enemy means that the story isn't covering old ground, but it also means that there aren't any real ties to the earlier games. You only get to fight Earth forces briefly, and they never feel like much of a threat. If it wasn't for the Martina locatino and the fact that this shares some weapons with Guerilla, there would be no indication this was even part of the series.

It is enjoyable, though, and the campaign is lengthy enough. The boss battles are handled well, too. The story is ok-ish, with a few twists but nothing too special. It also left me wondering why Mason didn't do what he ends up doing right at the start, but then it would have been a stupidly short game I suppose.

Multiplayer is good fun, but co-op only against waves of enemies. It will be interesting to see if any DLC emerges to expand on this.

I'd say this is a good, solid 7/10 game (with 5/10 being average). It won't rock your world but there's enough enjoyment to keep you playing.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:16 pm

Legend on the Snes,.. Scrolling beat em ups are my favourite genre but this was awful, everyone can be beaten with the same move and the last boss is the easier than every other boss.. Never took a hit of him.. Coupled with a poor ending and I got to the last level on my first go, I don't think I will be keeping this :cry:
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:53 pm

Phantasy Star IV - thought it was an excellent Megadrive RPG, really enjoyed that.

Just having a JD whilst I think about which of my new adventure/RPG type purchases to start next: Zelda OOT, Dark Saviour or Shining the Holy Ark - decisions decisions! :mrgreen:
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:31 pm

Finally had the time and patience to sit down and finish the story mode in Red Dead Redemption over the weekend. Just started playing it again, and really got into it this time (kind of got bored with it previously).
"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:46 am

Completed Resi 5 last night. Enjoyed it very much, didn't think the AI character was that annoying, although I don't know why she kept calling me Roger :?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:50 am

Nice one JD, how did you find the last boss?

Completed The 3rd Birthday myself. Amazing and surprisingly enjoyable game that is in fact my GotY so far. :mrgreen:
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:10 am

nakamura wrote:Nice one JD, how did you find the last boss?
Tough, but great fun. Fortunately a clue as to how to beat him is given in the battle against Jill earlier.

I would also add that Sheva was a great help here as she proved pretty nifty with the RPG :)

And I also notice I have unlocked another Mercenaries game - coolio!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:18 am

jdanddiet wrote:
nakamura wrote:Nice one JD, how did you find the last boss?
Tough, but great fun. Fortunately a clue as to how to beat him is given in the battle against Jill earlier.

I would also add that Sheva was a great help here as she proved pretty nifty with the RPG :)

And I also notice I have unlocked another Mercenaries game - coolio!
Yeah coolio indeed.

I was playing online co-op and it disconnected at the very end of the credits. I didn't get mercs unlocked. :x

But yes well done for finishing it. It was a pretty good game overall. Really like the gameplay, it just lacks a little in atmosphere.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)