What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

martin8777

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by martin8777 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:14 am

I sunk hours and hours into Morrowind again and went through all the main quests, I keep coming back to that game mainly because my slightly old laptop can't cope with running Oblivion.

slayer6000

Post by slayer6000 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:35 am

just completed Killzone
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:32 pm

Ridge Racer 4 on Easy, Normal and Hard - not doing too well with Expert so far though!
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:37 pm

Castlevania Symphony of The Night... again..

on original psone.. and for the first time beating final dracula without that shield and rod combo that kills him almost instantly..

nemerodius

Post by nemerodius » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:55 pm

Bionic commando re armed. Forgot I had it.
Nintendo id.....alandd.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:32 pm

ChipTune wrote:Castlevania Symphony of The Night... again..

on original psone.. and for the first time beating final dracula without that shield and rod combo that kills him almost instantly..
Think it was only on about my 3rd playthrough that i discovered the true power of the shield rod! I love how packed that game is with secrets, especially in regards to all the different weapons.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:17 pm

Nier ending B. It's pretty easy second time around, now i have to get all the weapons :)

dste

Post by dste » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:22 pm

Completed X-Men Legends on the Cube this morning.

Thought it was actually a really good game, lots to do with the Danger Room and a nice variety of levels spread through out the game. Now definitely going to have to pick up the second game.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Doom (N64)
Quake (N64)
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:48 pm

I've just completed The 3rd Birthday.

The production values of this game are top notch, easily among the best I've seen on the PSP. The voice acting gets a bit annoying at times, though, with the usual Japanese insistance that characters grunt and gasp through every scene. It sometimes sounds like Aya is playing tennis.

The gameplay is good, too. The control scheme works well despite the lack of a second analogue stick.There are a few niggles, though. Heavy weapons can't be auto-aimed, which is fine except that Aya has the turning circle of a supertanker if she is aiming one of these. I also encountered moments where the game kept making her lower her weapon for no obvious reason, or refusing to allow crossfire, despite an obvious opportunity for it. None of these problems are too serious though.

In fact, I would say that the biggest problem is the story. The story really wants to be clever, and it certainly has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, so much of this is lost because of clumsy handling, lines of dialogue that make no sense (Gabby's comment about Cray being a batchelor is a good example), and an over-reliance on remembering to read computer logs between missions. There is a great twist at the end, but you may not care by the time you reach it, which is a real shame.

Having beaten the game once I have unlocked some new items, so there's replay value. I'm wondering if I may be able to fight the Reapers rather than run away from them this time around...

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:33 am

Just completed Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands on 360, well worth the tenner I bought it for. Now playing Enslaved.

dste

Post by dste » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:18 pm

Completed Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, thank christ.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:46 pm

Shadow of the Colossus.

Without doubt the more beautiful game I have ever played. Yes it has a few technical issues but the game design astounds from start to finish and the ending plays with your heartstrings.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:10 pm

nakamura wrote:Shadow of the Colossus.

Without doubt the more beautiful game I have ever played. Yes it has a few technical issues but the game design astounds from start to finish and the ending plays with your heartstrings.
Wish id had the same experiance as you! I guess it didnt live up to the mile high hype that i was lead into.
Loved the colossus battles, the presentation and the soundtrack but in all honesty the game felt so empty. I think that was supposed to be the point but it felt like the epic landscape was wasted for the fact there wasnt anything in it bar the colossi. I might be the only one that saw that as a negative though.

Still a great game and im glad i played it through to completion but i think i preferred ICO
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:34 pm

Tbh that's the reason i gave Shadow a miss as despite the Colossi looking really impressive and it having atmosphere the whole world felt empty and it didn't have quite the appeal that Ico did which i bought, played, completed and loved. When i get a PS3 later in the year i do fully intend to give Shadow a go though especially in HD and with the framerate improved but i think Ico is the better game. As for the Last Guardian that is looking fantastic and i cant wait for it. Mart if you loved Shadow then you will definitely like Ico as well.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.