What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

snesfanboy

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by snesfanboy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Life Is Strange

similar to the Telltale series but with an interesting 'Rewind Time' mechanic that adds a bit of extra gameplay and light puzzle elements

at times it became maybe a bit overly sentimental but i thoroughly enjoyed the story (and the great twists) and got invested in lots of characters

Goemon

Post by Goemon » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:30 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 am
Bronze Adventure on PC Engine. This is unusual as I never saw anybody get off the first level back in the day when our local Indy computer shop had an arcade out the back.

Loads of hidden rooms full of power up and alternative routes and some lovely orient music. Suprisingly no bosses until stage 3 and that boss is very easy to beat

Also Tales of Beseria the time consuming game as I did the characters side quests among other things
I beat Bonze Adventure too recently, really enjoyed it. It’s that classic arcade style game that’s full of pitfalls to trip you up but each time you play you learn a bit more and get that bit further.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:27 pm

Goemon wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:30 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 am
Bronze Adventure on PC Engine. This is unusual as I never saw anybody get off the first level back in the day when our local Indy computer shop had an arcade out the back.

Loads of hidden rooms full of power up and alternative routes and some lovely orient music. Suprisingly no bosses until stage 3 and that boss is very easy to beat

Also Tales of Beseria the time consuming game as I did the characters side quests among other things
I beat Bonze Adventure too recently, really enjoyed it. It’s that classic arcade style game that’s full of pitfalls to trip you up but each time you play you learn a bit more and get that bit further.
Other then my friend Tuna, I think we 3 are the only ones who have heard of Bonze Adventure :D The PC Engine has a lot of one more go games, I'm enjoying Cadash, games that force you to restart from scratch are off putting these days, but I will play Cadash several times in succession. The best character the Lady was strangely missing from the Megadrive version as was the Ninja, leaving the Megadrive with the 2 weakest characters. My only complaint is the first boss seems very hard to beat latter bosses, who have set attack patterns.. The
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DrDpad

Post by DrDpad » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:50 pm

I completed the remake of Monkey Island 2 again the other day. :)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:01 pm

Urban Reign (PS2) - 100 missions all done. Mission 98 was utter, utter hell and I must have spent an hour (at least) trying to beat it. Great game though, just not the beat 'em up that I expected in a way. Might go through the free play mode now to unlock the rest of the characters. I've managed to get Law but I really want Paul and some of the story enemies such as Napalm 99.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:06 pm

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Well, beat the main story anyway (Didnt we have a "what games have you BEATEN this week" topic? There's a difference from beating and completing a game.)

Gotta say, a game has never made me cry so much, both from a cutscene close to the end and the roller coaster of emotions that was the ending. I love this game's story, its characters, and its fun gameplay mechanics once you get used to them. Is it perfect? No, it clearly needed more polish in areas like when you first load any area and the odd glitches that can come about (they did do a patch last week, so hopefully its fixed a bit more.) but man, the game just shines so brightly in the other areas as far as JRPGs go that I can overlook those negitives.

Skies of Arcadia was my fav game of all time, XC2 has finally used Break and Toppled the giant as my new fav game of all time. I am looking forward to see what the future holds for this series (As well as hope Xenogears and Saga get some kind of convenient rerelease. I'd be very interested to see what those past titles were like.)

Before Pokemon and Smash arrive, I'm going to dive into the game's New Game+ and complete the game! Then maybe after Xmas, check out the Torna story.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Sega_MegaDive

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:46 pm

DrDpad wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:50 pm
I completed the remake of Monkey Island 2 again the other day. :)

They made a remake?

Sega_MegaDive

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Gigawing 2 on Dreamcast although it was on an easy setting. :wink:

dste

Post by dste » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Completed Lego Marvel Super Heroes on the 360.

Absolutely loved it, so much fun. Completed all 100% and it's the very first game where I got all of the achievements.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:09 am

Limbo on the Switch, really enjoyed, some clever puzzles. Didn't have much of an emotional effect on me as it apparently did with many reviewers, if anything I laughed a lot at my comical accidental deaths.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Finally beat the last boss in Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the Switch. I had to re-learn the battle system to do so as brute force wasn't enough.

there's still tons more stuff for me to do, there's all the sub-quests and optional bosses to mop up, blades to unlock, then New Game Plus, then the DLC which I haven't touched yet, and Torna: The Golden Country!

The game is an absolute beast, it isn't withotu a few niggles but it deserves to be right behind Mario and Zelda as a flagship Switch title.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Nice to see another XC2 fan. ;)

Happy Wars- The servers for the 360 version are going to be shut off next month, so for the past 9 months, I've been trying to get all the achievements and sure enough, just this week I nabbed the last one. That Heal people 10,000 times one was the real grind.

Dig Dug (Both 360 and XBONE versions)- Surprisingly, I'm pretty good at this game I discovered, having got all the achievements in no time at all including digging through every space, beating 100 enemies and digging through 1000 spaces in one playthrough.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Finished off Spyro Reignited Trilogy today. All three games maxed with all the skill points. Bit too easy to blast through them after playing the PS1 originals over and over since they first came out but nevertheless, I really enjoyed the refresh on these and how faithful they were to the originals. Probably one of the best remakes I have ever played.

BUT...I really don't appreciate the numerous glitches in Year of the Dragon. The camera sometimes spazzes out uncontrollably during Sgt. Bird sections, I've had laps refuse to count on skateboard races and a few other random things. From what I have read on various forums though, many have experienced far, far worse and so far there has been no patch or acknowledgment of the problems. That and the fact that barely any of the games ship on the disc requiring a massive download. Clearly Activision rushed the game for the Christmas market and forced Toys For Bob to get it done no matter the gremlins that may remain in the finished product.

Yet another game disc that will be utterly useless to future retro gamers (if they exist!) and rely entirely on the hackers backing things up. That and the glitches aside though, I have enjoyed the game a lot.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 pm

I completed Astrobot and loved every minute of it, such a great game.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:37 pm

Limbo on Android. Very entertaining game, loved the atmosphere to it. Now gonna start on that Thimbleweed Park thing.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.