What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Negative Creep

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:21 pm

Mass Effect 3 on insane difficulty. Prepared my squad and build carefully before I started so it was pretty straightforward, only dying 5 or so times. It is a great game but the flaws in the narrative can't be denied. Even with the extended cut its very obvious the ending was written by someone else at the 11th hour

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:30 am

I finished Uncharted 4 last night.

Initially i was gutted that i'd forgotten to transfer my save file to the cloud before i bought my PS Pro....but then that just gave me the opportunity to play it through from the start with HDR switched on. :D Absolutely stunning from beginning to end. 8)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

retroman83

Post by retroman83 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:32 am

Nothing rare or quirky but recently picked up Tony Hawks Underground for PS2 for £1 in a charity shop and just completed it.

Can't have been a bad game as I kept coming back to it til the end, but it just made me want to play Tony Hawk 2 on the PS1 again lol.

With this one I found the story line annoying and just slowed down the action for me, I just wanted to ollie bums and collect "SKATE" etc like in TH2.

And the driving cars bit just seemed pointless for the game.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:58 am

Secret of Monkey Island. Heresy perhaps, but I didn't enjoy it. I can understand why it has such a cult following, but it just isn't my type of humour. I do like how you can instantly switch between modern and classic graphics though.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:17 am

I completed the Gears of War 4 campaign last night.

Overall I enjoyed it, but act iv went on a bit too long. The final act was great fun, though. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:13 pm

I completed that too this morning. Thought the first act was awful, like walking around a fallout vault shooting robots, but really picked up from act 3. As seems to be standard practice though, it ends on a sequel hook and leaves more questions than answers

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:53 am

Finally finished a GTA game, woo!

After buying GTA 3 back in 2001 and playing it for hours, but never quite getting to the end, I finally pushed through and saw the final credits. Now, don't get me wrong, it is an amazing game, but it does have its problems. Some of which are more apparent these days.

The controls are a little weird. I was shocked when I discovered this game predates right stick camera controls. Instead, the right stick drops you into first person view :shock: The save system is a pain. The difficulty is all over the place (a problem that continues to this day).

I did have a lot of fun though :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:03 pm

theantmeister wrote:Finally finished a GTA game, woo!

After buying GTA 3 back in 2001 and playing it for hours, but never quite getting to the end, I finally pushed through and saw the final credits. Now, don't get me wrong, it is an amazing game, but it does have its problems. Some of which are more apparent these days.

The controls are a little weird. I was shocked when I discovered this game predates right stick camera controls. Instead, the right stick drops you into first person view :shock: The save system is a pain. The difficulty is all over the place (a problem that continues to this day).

One thing that throws me when returning to GTA III is the inability to leap from burning vehicles and abandon them while they are moving. Gotta slam those brakes on before bailing! That and the brutality of enemy fire - I never did manage to clear all of the rampages for that reason. If you haven't already then I'd recommend you give Liberty City Stories a try. It has the same great city design and late 90's feel but loads of improvements from later PS2-era GTA sequels, a completely new story and so on.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:07 pm

As for me, I finally finished Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE for the Wii-U today. Clocked in at just under 70hrs playtime but it can doubtlessly be done a lot quicker without all the messing about and level/weapon skill grinding that I did. Final boss was a lot easier to beat than some of the other bosses that came before it earlier in the game. No idea if I was over-levelled but I my party were around Lv60 on average.

In any case, I thought it was a fantastic RPG and I really enjoyed it. The characters really grew on me and it was one of those where I was slightly sad to see it finished. Just a shame about the dumb censorship bits for our version of the game. Otherwise, very glad that I bought and completed it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:33 am

Megamixer wrote:One thing that throws me when returning to GTA III is the inability to leap from burning vehicles and abandon them while they are moving. Gotta slam those brakes on before bailing! That and the brutality of enemy fire - I never did manage to clear all of the rampages for that reason. If you haven't already then I'd recommend you give Liberty City Stories a try. It has the same great city design and late 90's feel but loads of improvements from later PS2-era GTA sequels, a completely new story and so on.
You know, I think I have a copy of that on my Vita. It was a PSP game, wasn't it?

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:30 pm

Uncharted 4 (PS4) - What a wonderful game and a nice way to round up the story of the last three games, wonder what path Uncharted 5 will take after seeing that little preview for Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. The story in Uncharted 4 was really well told and Naughty Dog have nailed the game play for the Uncharted series, someone should just hand them the Tomb Raider franchise.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:17 pm

theantmeister wrote:
Megamixer wrote:One thing that throws me when returning to GTA III is the inability to leap from burning vehicles and abandon them while they are moving. Gotta slam those brakes on before bailing! That and the brutality of enemy fire - I never did manage to clear all of the rampages for that reason. If you haven't already then I'd recommend you give Liberty City Stories a try. It has the same great city design and late 90's feel but loads of improvements from later PS2-era GTA sequels, a completely new story and so on.
You know, I think I have a copy of that on my Vita. It was a PSP game, wasn't it?
Yep. They also later ported it to PS2 which is where I play(ed) it as I prefer the big screen.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:51 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:someone should just hand them the Tomb Raider franchise.
I hope not fella. I've been an avid fan of Tombraider from the first game (I even finished Angel of Darkness on PS2) and I am happy for Naughty Dog not to be involved, not that I'm not a fan of Naughty Dog's work but rather because I'd like Tombraider to retain a different feel than Uncharted. The two series have moved closer in feel over the last few games but let's not forget that Tombraider came first and during the early days of the first Uncharted it was nicknamed Dude Raider. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:25 am

^^couldn't have said it better! Tomb Raider and Uncharted are both fantastic franchises but TR will always have the edge for me. I think TR's control system has improved beyond all recognition and the reboot/RotTR handle as fluidly and effortlessly as any Uncharted game.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:21 am

theantmeister wrote:Finally finished a GTA game, woo!

There's a patch for the PC version that sorts out the conrols to map them akin to GTA IV. Much better that way. Still never finished one though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.