What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stvd

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by stvd » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:30 pm

The Last of Us. Brilliant.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Naruto: Path of the Ninja on DS.

Was pretty pants in all honesty. Was ridiculously easy for an RPG, barely had to upgrade stuff and didn't even bother with one of the level-up sections. The ending was also damn annoying, just ended.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Braid. Loved the ending to this game, one of those open ones that really made you think.

Shame then that everything up to that point was rubbish. It never tells you what you're supposed to do and the puzzles are either incredibly unintuitive or rely on pixel perfect jumping. I was actually looking forward to this one, but just like Limbo I seem to be the only one who couldn't stand it, and would have enjoyed it more just watching someone else play it

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:46 am

Negative Creep wrote:Braid. Loved the ending to this game, one of those open ones that really made you think.

Shame then that everything up to that point was rubbish. It never tells you what you're supposed to do and the puzzles are either incredibly unintuitive or rely on pixel perfect jumping. I was actually looking forward to this one, but just like Limbo I seem to be the only one who couldn't stand it, and would have enjoyed it more just watching someone else play it
Oh trust me, you're not the only one. I created a category in Steam called 'censored it' which has one thing in it: Braid.

I can't believe you finished it.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:45 pm

theantmeister wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:Braid. Loved the ending to this game, one of those open ones that really made you think.

Oh trust me, you're not the only one. I created a category in Steam called 'censored it' which has one thing in it: Braid.

Finished it because I got into that stubborn mindset where giving up would be letting the game win. Should have just watched the ending on Youtube in retrospect. Feel the exact same way about Limbo as well - looks fantastic, makes you think but it's a chore to play

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:01 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
Finished it because I got into that stubborn mindset where giving up would be letting the game win. Should have just watched the ending on Youtube in retrospect. Feel the exact same way about Limbo as well - looks fantastic, makes you think but it's a chore to play
Did you get the 200g on it as I hear one of the achievements is supposed to be insanely difficult to get..

The ending didn't make much sense to me got the impression he was a stalker and he was stalking that girl, the Limbo ending was equally odd and ended abruptly
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:59 am

theantmeister wrote:

Agree about Braid although I never put that much time into it.
Read the reviews and it looked like something I'd enjoy.
Half an hour with it told me It wasn't that good.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:34 am

Mega Man 1 and 2 as part of the Mega Man Legacy Collection on XBone.

I've completed MM2 a lot of times in the past as it is one of my all time favourite games but I've never managed to finish MM1 until now, for some odd reason I managed to blitz my way through the game only using the Save State functionality to literally save level progression.

Now to make a start on MM3...

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:33 am

Renegade and Wild West C.O.W.-Boys of Moo Mesa on MAME

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:28 pm

Resident Evil 6. How much do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways:

- camera is far too close, meaning you're constantly getting blindsided by enemies you didn't see.
- endless ridiculous action sequences. There is absolutely no tension since our heroes walk away without a scratch every time, and no sense of progression or stakes because it cranks everything up from the word go
- fighting the same boss over and over again. In Leon's campaign you fight him 4-5 times in one chapter, and it gets mind numbingly tedious.
- QTEs
- getting knocked to the floor, get up only to be knocked down again
- stupid enemy and partner AI that fire at walls or completely ignore eachother.
- worst cover system ever
- bizarre design choices, like restart checkpoint being labelled as restart from the beginning, picking up health and then having to store it and it never being clear when the game saves your progress
- why does the Humvee have nitrous?
- lots of the enemies look more comical than scary.

As for positives, you can't accuse it of lacking variety, the voice acting is good, and it's so badly programmed you only have to beat the last part of each chapter on a higher difficulty for it to credit you with clearing the whole game.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:21 pm

Negative Creep wrote:Resident Evil 6. How much do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways:

- camera is far too close, meaning you're constantly getting blindsided by enemies you didn't see.
- endless ridiculous action sequences. There is absolutely no tension since our heroes walk away without a scratch every time, and no sense of progression or stakes because it cranks everything up from the word go
- fighting the same boss over and over again. In Leon's campaign you fight him 4-5 times in one chapter, and it gets mind numbingly tedious.
- QTEs
- stupid enemy and partner AI that fire at walls or completely ignore eachother.
- bizarre design choices, like restart checkpoint being labelled as restart from the beginning, picking up health and then having to store it and it never being clear when the game saves your progress

As for positives, you can't accuse it of lacking variety, the voice acting is good, and it's so badly programmed you only have to beat the last part of each chapter on a higher difficulty for it to credit you with clearing the whole game.
Not that its much good pointing it out now - but there is a field of view option in the options menu to fix your first problem, it makes things more bearable. I think there is an option to automate QTE's as well (as there are some crappy ones in there).
I did really enjoy the game though despite many issues. Ended up spending 70 odd hours playing it in order to 100% it. Worst part for me was Ada's co-op mode - as her campaign was so clearly not designed for co-op. So many bad parts.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

fouldsc

Post by fouldsc » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:30 am

S.O.S - Snes , was fun
Batman - Arkham City (PS4) - not retro but I did just finish it!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:57 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:Resident Evil 6. How much do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways:

- QTEs

Not that its much good pointing it out now - but there is a field of view option in the options menu to fix your first problem, it makes things more bearable. I think there is an option to automate QTE's as well (as there are some crappy ones in there).
I did really enjoy the game though despite many issues. Ended up spending 70 odd hours playing it in order to 100% it. Worst part for me was Ada's co-op mode - as her campaign was so clearly not designed for co-op. So many bad parts.

Ah yes, so you can. Nice of the game to tell me that (along with countless other little things, such as showing one stick for the QTE despite the fact you're supposed to twirl both). I've enjoyed most of the RE games,and didn't even think 5 was that bad, but this was abysmal. Kindof like playing Gears of War if you could only see half the screen, had a quarter of the ammo, the cover system didn't work and you got knocked over every time you got hit.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:01 pm

DOTT remastered. Quite some years since I last played and finished the original, playing again brought back some good memories.

Still the greatest point'n'click ever.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:53 am

Completed Bloodborne today - 3 times to get the three different endings. I loved this game, got all but three of the trophies (2 collectathons - boring, and one for an optional boss that resides in the last -optional- Blood Chalice dungeon. Still working on that one!).

The combat was brilliant, the counter mechanic evened up many fights against the larger/more dangerous enemies, and the bosses didn't disappoint - many were huge, imposing monsters with a few more human sized bosses that were probably MORE dangerous, since they tend to be faster, or more aggressive. I also really liked the different areas you explore, they give off a twisted Victorian England vibe, with a hint of Resident Evil 4 thrown in for good measure.
I loved the difficulty on this game as well. Its tough for sure, but I love tough challenges so I felt right at home playing this game! There were a couple of annoying enemies in the game, but 99% of them could be overcome by learning their moves and just being patient. I've now got the DLC to tackle, which I've heard is even harder than the main game, so it'll be interesting to see what they throw at me! Now I'm really hyped to play the rest of the Souls games :mrgreen:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*