What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:17 am

Finished off another couple of Capcom games today:

Tiger Road (arcade). Another Capcom title I'd never really put much time into, but came away having enjoyed it. I like that the game was constantly adding different enemies/obstacles at every turn in the levels. Kept things fresh so I'd not get bored. Not that I would have, its a solid, fast paced action title with a few vertical flying parts thrown in for good measure, plus plenty of boss battles at the middle and end of stages (bar stage 4 which throws several at you throughout).
Its also strange in that, if you can clear the training stages (and most are fairly easy) you can power yourself up pretty good. On my second playthrough I managed to have a ranged shot and double damage for the final level which made it a cakewalk!
I've got the PC Engine port to play through since which I'm not so much looking forward to, as the collision detection feels way off on the port, making the game way harder (from what little I played so far).

Bionic Commando (arcade). I've only ever played the NES version of BC (alongside the Xbox 360 remake based on said version). My lasting thoughts on the arcade version is that it could have been an excellent game but the enemy placement/spawning makes it more difficult than it really should be. Its really easy to get into difficult situations due to needing to grapple to the platform right above you, but there are several enemies, mechs and multi hit enemies right above you just waiting to kill you...
Despite that issue I still really enjoyed the game (played through it 3 times in one sitting). The bionic arm is a fantastic idea, and the progression through the levels is ace as well (from jungle, to outside the fortress, to infiltrating the weapons base via a sewer system, then battling up through the fortress to stop the baddies to save the day... or something). Its got a nice level of variety in the level design when I wasn't swamped with enemies I did fairly well on levels. Could have done without those bomb dropping jets though...
The soundtrack is fantastic as well, pretty much every level theme is excellent. Found myself humming along to the stage 2 theme a lot (its reused in the NES game, and maybe the 360 sequel if I recall correctly?).
This game is a flawed gem, if the game would have received a straight NES port which toned down the number of enemies on screen at once I'd have loved it. Instead we get an almost brand new game that is excellent in its own right.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:34 pm

Completed Firewatch tonight, a good game but not a patch on Life is Strange. Onto Until Dawn now__

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:36 am

Quantum Break on the Xbone.

After a terrible (IMO) first act and episode this gets going and becomes a solid game with a good story.

Once you upgrade and learn to string together the time powers the game becomes really good fun and with the story backing it up it nearly edges into great territory.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:38 am

Finished Bionic Commando (the new one) last night. Can anyone tell me WTF that ending was about? And what was with the sniper? And Mag? Did I miss something? :?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:50 am

theantmeister wrote:Finished Bionic Commando (the new one) last night. Can anyone tell me WTF that ending was about? And what was with the sniper? And Mag? Did I miss something? :?
You didn't miss anything, they were setting up for a sequel that was never made so the Sniper and pretty much all of the last act doesn't really make sense.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:09 am

ShadowMan wrote:
theantmeister wrote:Finished Bionic Commando (the new one) last night. Can anyone tell me WTF that ending was about? And what was with the sniper? And Mag? Did I miss something? :?
You didn't miss anything, they were setting up for a sequel that was never made so the Sniper and pretty much all of the last act doesn't really make sense.
lol, no, no it does not! That's a shame.

djslope

Post by djslope » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:19 am

Not really retro but I just finished Ori and the blind forest for the 2nd time (looking to get all the extras now)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:17 am

Finished my first run on Star Fox 0 today. Absolutely average. A good game ruined by the Wii U controller forcing too many gimmicky levels and boss battles at you. Cockpit view and gyro controls eventually get annoying when the game gets harder, as the controls just can't seem to keep up with the frantic action. Its better than Star Fox Assault though... just barely.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:37 am

Finally got round to finishing splinter cell blacklist. Really enjoyed it and I'm not one for stealth games, but the option to do what you want within reason was great.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:38 am

Never Alone - lovely looking platformer about the native Inuit people. Only a few hours long but that felt about right and ensured the game didn't outstay its welcome. Experience is however slightly spoilt by the controls, which sometimes simply don't do what you want them to, and AI that has a habit of getting itself killed

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:45 am

Negative Creep wrote:Never Alone - lovely looking platformer about the native Inuit people. Only a few hours long but that felt about right and ensured the game didn't outstay its welcome. Experience is however slightly spoilt by the controls, which sometimes simply don't do what you want them to, and AI that has a habit of getting itself killed
Yeah, it is a lovely game, but I did find myself getting a little frustrated with the glitches towards the end.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:42 am

Project Diva F 2nd :mrgreen:

After 55 hours of rhythm game action, face petting and item collecting I finally got my Plat trophy! Can't wait to do it all over again with Diva X later this year.

David

Post by David » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:40 am

The punisher
Mega Twins
Cadillacs and dinosaurs
Ninja commando

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:22 am

Witcher 3.
By "completed" I mean I've finished the main storyline and got an ending. Geralt settled down with Triss, Ciri became a Witcher and ... yeah, whatever.
Don't ask me what happened because I was skipping cutscenes like a mad 'un from very early on. There was an elven guy and it was all to do with frost or something.

The game rolls on, of course. I've bought the expansion.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

David

Post by David » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Armored warriors (arcade) wasn't sure of it till I realised you can steal guns and limbs and stuff from enemies. Great game.

Alien vs Predator (arcade) it's pretty good but there's far too many enemies coming at you at once which kind of ruins it.